Cyberpsychosis and limb replacements.

+
[ Disclaimer: it Looks like my mind wandered too far again and I added more than I initially thought about, so it turned into anything but a realistic suggestion at this point. Sorry... ]

One of the things a lot of us were hoping for, was the ability to pimp our character with some awesome chrome.
Yes, we have the Gorilla Arms and Mantis Blades, but these are nothing more than just another set of weapons V carries.

So let's start on adding some methods on how to implement some of those sweet chrome arm and leg replacements.

1. Where can we get some chrome?
Answer: Ripperdocs!

More specifically, the Ripperdoc chair.
Every 'doc in the game has one and there are animations available for the player to get in the chair.
Once in the chair a new menu will pop up where bodyparts can be selected and changed.
I'm going to guess it's easier to manage a new menu/vendor, rather than messing with a ripperdoc's current inventory.

2. More than bling?
A selection of different styles will be available, just to keep things interesting.
From crude 'Function over Form' replacements to the more high end, gold plated, LED lined limbs and everything in between.

I've posted a previous suggestion to work with faction rewards, so this could be added alongside.
A Maelstrom ripperdoc will gladly chop off your arm to fit you some heavy duty, piston driven arms made for punching nuclear submarines where as a Tyger Claw counterpart would be more likely to add some style to your gold plated arm with some metal etched dragons.

3. No going back.
Once you got you choose to get your arm replaced, it's actually gone.
Of course, there's skin-colored models available if you so choose.
Point being there's a cost attached and it's more than just your eddies.

4. Man Versus Machine.

You finally got your chrome installed, sweet!
Who needs teeth, jaws and a tongue when there's plenty of processed food-pastes that spark your new electric taste-emulating sensors.

But everything has a price, in this case it'll be your humanity.
To translate this ingame, you start with 100 constitution points.
With every limb you replace, your body needs time to adjust meaning you can't visit a ripperdoc day one and walk out the door as a Terminator.
Depending on the quality and function of the new limb, a certain number of points get subtracted.

A new Attribute could be added with passives that enhance this aspect of the game.
From lowering the Constitution cost of replacements to enhancing their stats.

A heavy duty Maelstrom arm replacement will cost you more than a sleek, thin-plated 'basic' arm.
On the other hand, said Maelstrom Arm could boost your defenses or give you a strength bonus for skill checks, depending on what variant you chose.
...but when your Constitution dips below 50, that's when the party's getting started.

5. Cyberpsychosis.
One mod too many? Maybe getting those golden fingers with rainbow colored LED fingernails was a bit overkill but you just KNOW it was a perfect match for that silver lined, brass plated arm replacement.

Cyberpsychosis as a gameplay element is a blessing AND a curse.
( This gameplay element is disabled during main quests and certain side-quests. Murdering the Aldecaldos for example isn't part of the plan. )
The lower your constitution, the more effective your body modifications are but the more likely you'll suffer a temporary psychotic breakdown.

In the early stages of Cyberspychosis (35 to 49 Constitution, for example), it only lasts for a short while, similar to a Relic Malfunction.
Ever so often, perhaps during a mission or just when roaming about, everyone seemingly turns into a hostile.
The streets are filled with Valentino's or Scavs and there's no way for you to tell the difference between a perp and a regular NPC.

If you let it progress further (below 35), some of them will also start attacking you as if they were actual enemies.
The damage they do during your psychotic break is real ( to you ) and the only way to gain health during your psychotic breakdown is to shoot back.
Shooting back in this state will heal you, as any other form of healing is disabled.
The other alternative is to run and hide, if you can, and wait out your episode.

Once your psychotic break ends, you'll be dealing with the consequences of your actions.
This would obviously require that the Police AI / wanted system is decently implemented as having half the precinct teleport into a remote office building isn't exactly a fun gameplay element.

[...]

In regard to OPs idea (I like that one!), I myself had dilemma whether my V' should use mantis blades or monowire or gorila arms or nothing ... Mantis blades are very likely most lethal, but I had feeling like it will make her less human :) ... Quite weird "dilemma" considering all those other upgrades ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's something to think about. Where does the human end and the machine begin.
And what's the cost, other than Eddies?

You can think of this part of the world not being in the game (for the player to experience) as yet another missed opportunity.
But there's also gameplay balance and the limit of what a game can contain without becoming a convoluted mess.
I do believe something of this depth would've been possible if the game was in development for longer.

It's sad V is inmune to cyberpsychosis when he actually replaces his eyes, arms, legs, skin... But i guess dealing with psychotic breaks and Relic malfunction at the same time was not gonna fit well.

Isn't the point of the Cyberpsycho quest that Cyberpsychosis....doesn't exist?

The revelations if you read all of the Shards are the people who have experienced it are all going on a rampage because of other reasons. Some of the rampages aren't even actual rampages but accidents like that guy who accidentally killed his family with his cyberdefenses.

From what I can gather the original post is basically fleshing out the original concept of how our upgrades influence gameplay. Same as NCPD putting bountys on us.

Unless I'm mistaken there was more than one piece of evidence that the cyberpsychosis was caused by third partys from law enforcement as trials.

I think Cyberpunk RED also stated that cyberpsychosis is basically the police and media sensationalizing "robot rampages" that are usually just another Night City citizen going on a violent killing spree.

They're only notable from the hundreds that people do by the amount of chrome the killer is sporting.

Now, I have to admit that I haven't fully completed the cyberpsychosis questline.

I just love the recurring idea in the genre where a balance between "man and machine" is part of the overacrching theme and figured it's possible to build upon it in this game.
Obviously, my fantasy went too far when writing it all down... but in a world where a tiny biochip can contain a human's psyche/engram, I don't think it's farfetched to suffer (mental) health issues when your body no longer feels your own.

That said... it's not hard to mangle some facts here or add some lore there to make an exception to suit the needs of balancing cybertech body replacements.

The biochip already malfunctions from time to time, so let's then simply assume that it's the biochip reacting in a different way to you replacing your body with chrome and metal.
This action is not part of its original programming as it expect to inhabit a blank body.
Dealing with an active psychy te replace is one thing, suddenly losing biological part and gaining new implants and metal limbs messes with its original programming.

The program malfunctions for a moment and... Boom!
V's very own personal Cyberpsychosis unlocked! :p

Alternatively: keep only steps 1 through 3 and skip step 4 and 5.

Top Bottom