Dark Horse Books and CD Projekt Red present The World of Cyberpunk 2077--an extensive examination of the rich lore of a dystopian epic. Lear ...
Yes, it's coming, and soon, so here's a thread for it.
Some ground rules - quotes are fine. Mass scans are a big no-no. If you want to read the thing, buy it! I'll check with my Masters to see if we can post a -few- images here from the book under Fair Use (it is a review thread), but until then, nothing from inside, thanks.
It has few, arguably no spoilers, depending on your definition of spoilers, for the story of the game. IF your definition includes setting details and lore on gangs and corps, AVOID THIS THREAD.
Some highlights so far:
1. It's VERY cool. Go grab a copy!
2. The timeline is here! All the way to 2070s! Very nice to finally have some details. The USA is now the NUSA - New United States of America. Night City is truly independent from not only NUSA control but even Nor Cal. On the other hand, Arasaka is back in a big, big way.
3. The writing is quite good and also often funny. "...for hot merchandise, like a brand-new Gen 4 Temporal Cortex Enhancement prototype, you'll have to sell both of your kidneys - or at least someone's kidneys, provided they're healthy." "If you can't afford to buy a new model, or you haven't kept your old lungs in the fridge, you may have serious problems - you know, with breathing and stuff."
4. Cyberware generations and tech types are spelled out, with examples and art. Gen 0 (simple prosthetics) to Gen 4 (advanced corpo and affluent gear).
5. Cyberware is super common, with Gen 2 being the most common, but mostly people aren't lopping off limbs. Gentler, subtler stuff.
6. The art! So good. Lot of re-used images you've seen online from CDPR promo stuff, but lots of totally fresh stuff.
7. Assisted Combat Personnel Armor is mentioned more than once, so it looks like Powered Armour is still around - and perhaps in-game! Hide.
8. Power weapons are traditional firearms. Bang, done. AR, SMG, MG. Tech Weapons are rail-gun tech using caseless rounds. Smart Weapons link to the user and typically fire seeking rounds as well. Melee weapons are, well, you know. All the above can be customized. Examples include thermal rounds, neurotixin for melee, EMP, scopes, suppressors.
9. RABIDS: Roving Autonomous Bartmoss Interface Drones. Sleeper programs waiting for Rache's death, they infiltrated data fortresses, then send the data randomly across cyberspace. Fortresses collapsed, secrets showed up everywhere.
10. The Blackwall was probably done -with- the assistance of IS (Intellgent Systems - AI) to Netwatch. No humans or artificials are allowed to cross from either side. The Blackwall, which is invisible, often splits old Network systems in half, leaving them available to both sides: haunted Data Fortresses and "possessed" cyberware.
11. Six known tiers of Netrunning gear. 2020 tech of portable cyberdecks is Tier 0...Tier 5 is almost exclusively Netwatch.
12. 200 people per month are killed in Night City in Police-related confrontations, and for every 10 criminals that die, one cop does. This does not count gang violence or Corporate actitivities. In short, Night City is CRAZY violent and dangerous!
13. There is a Billy Idol reference.