Cyberpunk Edgerunners - No plans for 2nd Season

+
I agree. I haven't finished Edgerunners yet (just haven't had the time) but what I did see was fun... but Trigger, I just don't care for them. They're far too into the over-the-top anime tropes that kept me from even trying the genre until early 2021. There's no question that the environment art was GORGEOUS, and that some of the character art was really well-made as well, but I just don't quite understand the love for Trigger as a whole.

If CDPR does another anime with a different studio, I vote Production IG. Still my favorite anime studio to date and they have extensive experience with the cyberpunk genre, both through Ghost in the Shell (my favorite anime series) and Psycho Pass. They also have proven to me that they're fully capable of understanding and adapting other franchises' ideas, as evidenced by the beautiful masterpiece that was The Ninth Jedi (the Star Wars: Visions episode). Plus, I love that IG doesn't go overboard with anime tropes. You get the exposition trope, at least in GITS, but it's not overdone and nothing feels over-the-top and unnecessarily "animeish"... if that makes sense. You know what I mean, though: some anime and studios go overboard with the tropes just because they want to appeal to weebs that eat up anything from Japan regardless of how good or bad it actually is.

I agree. I haven't finished Edgerunners yet (just haven't had the time) but what I did see was fun... but Trigger, I just don't care for them. They're far too into the over-the-top anime tropes that kept me from even trying the genre until early 2021. There's no question that the environment art was GORGEOUS, and that some of the character art was really well-made as well, but I just don't quite understand the love for Trigger as a whole.

If CDPR does another anime with a different studio, I vote Production IG. Still my favorite anime studio to date and they have extensive experience with the cyberpunk genre, both through Ghost in the Shell (my favorite anime series) and Psycho Pass. They also have proven to me that they're fully capable of understanding and adapting other franchises' ideas, as evidenced by the beautiful masterpiece that was The Ninth Jedi (the Star Wars: Visions episode). Plus, I love that IG doesn't go overboard with anime tropes. You get the exposition trope, at least in GITS, but it's not overdone and nothing feels over-the-top and unnecessarily "animeish"... if that makes sense. You know what I mean, though: some anime and studios go overboard with the tropes just because they want to appeal to weebs that eat up anything from Japan regardless of how good or bad it actually is.
Well said. They're going for the low hanging fruit and I get why, fan service sells. The problem is that the attention it gets from those anime fans are short-lived, tomorrow another anime will be out with even more tropes and they'll have moved on and forgotten about Edgerunners.

If they want to create something that becomes a pop culture phenomenon then it's not going to be the perverse fan service or over the top characters. They need to create memorable characters with an equally memorable story.

Personally, I enjoyed the anime for what it was. The animation was awesome and so was the representation of the world of Cyberpunk. The tropes were what was a turn off and what reduces Edgerunners to a fun romp and nothing beyond that. I don't mind the fanservice, in Anime it is pretty much a given, it wouldn't have been the same without Luce's gorgeous bod :ohstopit:

Well said. They're going for the low hanging fruit and I get why, fan service sells. The problem is that the attention it gets from those anime fans are short-lived, tomorrow another anime will be out with even more tropes and they'll have moved on and forgotten about Edgerunners.

If they want to create something that becomes a pop culture phenomenon then it's not going to be the perverse fan service or over the top characters. They need to create memorable characters with an equally memorable story.
Well for me David has memorable story, he fought for he's love, live for he's new family.
And a lot of who wants happy end for David and Lucy, at least someone needs in this city finished on good note.

Top Bottom