Cyberware Capacity and locking tiers to level

+
So, I've been testing cyberware capacity and how much roughly any given character actually needs. I do have a thread about it on the Steam Forums but I figured this part needed to be posted here so that hopefully someone at CDPR may actually see it.

The crux of the issue is that the character I've been testing this on was at max capacity roughly at the levels people are reporting may be an intentional soft-cap since capacity shards seem to stop dropping, between 300-350 capacity or so. While running around Dogtown there was an airdrop so I went and nabbed it and got Rara Avis, an iconic cyberware piece with a pretty steep cost. There was no way I could legitimately equip it without removing other cyberware pieces completely.

If the speculation is correct and the capacity shards no longer drop after a certain threshold, then I can't grind out more capacity to swap it out with the Parabellum(sp?) cyberware it replaces. Ripperdocs function in such a way now that you can only get different tier cyberware according to character level, IE white from 1-9, green from 10-19, blue from 20-29, purple from 30-39, orange from 40+. For this system to work, with a soft cap, players absolutely need to be able to downgrade to lower tiers to make up for the costs of the more demanding cyberware pieces. It's surprising that no one caught this during testing before 2.0/Phantom Liberty released, but hopefully it gets remedied in the next round of bug fixes.

If you start a brand new character and try and play through the base game & Phantom Liberty, its basically impossible to afford all the necessary cyberware. I am level 35 ish on my 4th playthrough that I started last week and after doing 40+ NCPD scanners and 20-30 gigs and as many side missions as I could get my hands on. I still can't afford to get all my cyberware up to purple quality from greens and blues. The cost of everything in 2.02 is insane. Even with the extra dog town gigs and money.

I did find a couple of shards in the late game (after 60). And i am now at 329 with all perksn stuff. It just takes time. I was frustrated midgame too.

Doesn't that mean you just need to remove a cyberware or are you attempting to have all slots filled with the strongest cyberware abilities? If so, then I assume it's intentionally done that way so your character isn't too OP

Last edited:
Doesn't that mean you just need to remove a cyberware or are you attempting to have all slots filled with the strongest cyberware abilities? If so, then I assume it's inteionally done that way so your character isn't too OP
Agree, it definitely seems that way. I haven't gotten any further than starting the last bit of the tutorial in this (my first 2.x) playthrough but yes it seems to me that the idea is that you will have to pick and choose which high end upgrades you want, and might have to stay green or blue on some pieces that are the least important for your build.

The softcap is necessary because it would mean someone that doesn't want to put points into tech can easily get chromed out, with the possibility of reaching maximum chrome status compared to someone that has put points into the tree and on the other side of the spectrum, players are meant to pick and choose properly, being able to slot all the iconics and other top end gear would be counter to the philosophy they use when it comes to building you character (perk and attribute point limit). Also, it would ruin Edgerunner fury trigger range, which is already glitchy once past the 400 limit or so.

Agree, it definitely seems that way. I haven't gotten any further than starting the last bit of the tutorial in this (my first 2.x) playthrough but yes it seems to me that the idea is that you will have to pick and choose which high end upgrades you want, and might have to stay green or blue on some pieces that are the least important for your build.
or choose one that adds only armor and a low capacity. Since I play full melee I had to do that for a bit because I needed all slots filled to max Reflexes and Body. I now have spare capacity but I'm guessing once I get to Dog Town I'll need to switch back to something that just adds armor in order to free up capacity

Top Bottom