Cyberware Capacity Shards.

+
I'm posting this in technical because I'm not sure if it's a bug or a game mechanic working as intended or just bad luck on my part.

After 2.02 came out, Shards started dropping for me again, after not seeing one for a very long time, it felt like the lower tier ones at least were dropping in Dog town pretty regularly. And they were definitely working as my capacity went up.

And then, they just stopped dropping, I haven't seen a single one in over 10+ hours of gameplay. IS this a bug? Bad luck with RNG? is there an in-game limit to how many can drop? Because I'm still not close to the max capacity according to the Cyberware screen. I'm mid 300's I think 342 or close to that and on the Cyberware screen it looks like I could easily have 500 or better capacity. IS the menu bugged and the cap is lower than the progression bar shows?

For what it's worth, I'm already very chromed out, so I don't know if I "NEED" better Cyberware, but I have a ton of iconic Cyberware that's dropped and I'd like to use some of it, but more importantly I'm just trying to figure out what is going on, IT feels like a level 60, having completed most of the PL content, With the Edgerunner perk, Engineer progression and having done basically anything I can find to increase Max capacity it should be higher or I should at least still be seeing shards?

Anyway if anyone has any idea if this is a bug in either the shards or the menu, or If the RNG gods just don't seem to like me, please let me know lol.

There's a soft cap around that range (~350) where the drop rate just falls off a cliff and it becomes super rare to drop. The side bar gets bugged past 400 and higher cyberware usage values does mess with the trigger point of Edgerunner's fury mode, so it most likely is intended. The bar itself was probably designed to look "open ended" so people wouldn't be anticipating that there's a maximum capacity when building up to it.

Another technical issue that I cannot post is on the mission "hot merchandise", when you enter the basement area to persue Rebecca, there's a buff guy guarding her. Every time you grab him from behind and dump him in the bin the game crashes. Just something I wanted CDPR to be aware of but can't post.

Another technical issue that I cannot post is on the mission "hot merchandise", when you enter the basement area to persue Rebecca, there's a buff guy guarding her. Every time you grab him from behind and dump him in the bin the game crashes. Just something I wanted CDPR to be aware of but can't post.

CDPR will not see this, you should report the bug directly using the support page.
Post automatically merged:

There's a soft cap around that range (~350) where the drop rate just falls off a cliff and it becomes super rare to drop. The side bar gets bugged past 400 and higher cyberware usage values does mess with the trigger point of Edgerunner's fury mode, so it most likely is intended. The bar itself was probably designed to look "open ended" so people wouldn't be anticipating that there's a maximum capacity when building up to it.

Have the posted an official max cap and I just missed it or are we all just in this together trying to figure it out ? lol

Last edited:
Have the posted an official max cap and I just missed it or are we all just in this together trying to figure it out ? lol
We're all in this together trying to figure it out. The general consensus is that the drops do start falling off hard at around 350 and aside from the exploit to get more, people tend to notice that they just kinda stop dropping. I HAVE found one after maxing out at 350 with a legendary drop from a Berghast soldier, so there's wiggle room past the 350.

My guess is as good as the next guy, but I would imagine they put a limit to the drops so it limits player who have little tech tree investment from having so much cyberware, eventually slotting enough by just farming, and also to prevent late/endgame players from slotting in all the OP stuff. Also, kinda minor, it would eventually make Fury untriggerable.

In my current playthrough (started on patch 2.01), I'm sitting at 217 cyberware capacity. I am at level 47, with Technical 20, Renaissance with 4 other attributes at 9, no Edgerunner... supposedly we hit 201 capacity at level 60 with no attributes/perks/skill bonuses at all, so I clearly have gotten VERY few shards during my playthrough. I've been doing a netrunner playthrough and using every point of my cyberware capacity from the get-go so some additional capacity would be great, especially now that iconic cyberware is popping up...

It has certainly felt like I have not noticed a capacity shard drop since maybe the first couple of cyber psychos I took down early game, and I pick up every piece of loot I can. I've completed most of them at this point... I really only notice skill shards and carrying capacity shards while doing GTA missions, Dogtown gigs, or dogtown airdrops, but cyberware capacity remains extremely rare and I seem to be well below the cap that other people are experiencing.

Update: Hit level 60, max technical, WITH edge runner, max capacity: 307. I've done at least a dozen air drops, all cyberpsychos defeated.... I would be TICKLED to be able to get to 350 like others have.

Last edited:
I've found a few from random thugs wandering around. They're not a part of a gig or anything, but they do appear on your minimap when you're close to them as a yellow dot. Some are just standing around, others in groups performing activities. I haven't been farming them so don't know how often they drop, but every time I've killed a group I've got a cyberware capacity drop. Coincidence? Anyone want to check?

I've found a few from random thugs wandering around. They're not a part of a gig or anything, but they do appear on your minimap when you're close to them as a yellow dot. Some are just standing around, others in groups performing activities. I haven't been farming them so don't know how often they drop, but every time I've killed a group I've got a cyberware capacity drop. Coincidence? Anyone want to check?

Immediately after 2.02 came out, basically every mob I killed at least 1 person dropped a shard sometimes more, especially on the air drops in dog town, sometimes I'd get like 5 shards from those, usually lower tier and maybe a higher tier one, and then somewhere I just hit the wall and now they don't seem to drop ever. Which is why I'm confused as to if there is a set drop rate, if the drop rate is in direct relation to current capacity, or if it's purely random RNG and I was on a hot streak and now just hitting bad luck. My current capacity is 340ish, so I don't think I'm anywhere near the max, definitely not if we go by the side bar.

I'm just trying to figure out how it works, because I have a whole bunch of iconic stuff I can't use unless I want to unload a bunch of armor or something else, which would be fine if that's what intended but it looks like I should be able to increase it significantly, and I'm level 60 if shards are the only way to increase from here out, it's going to feel very grindy if Someone actually wanted to farm them. I dunno it's not a huge deal, I just wish it was a little clearer what the max is and exactly the best way to increase it. I also feel like my increased capacity from leveling the engineer skill isn't applying properly, but I could be wrong on that.

Might be a dumb question (since it could very well be highly irrelevant), but do you/did you have Axolotl in your inventory? (the cyberware that speeds up your OS/consumable refresh rate per kill) Because ever since I got one from Regina after clearing out Watson, cyberware shards have stopped dropping for me. Selling it off didn't fix the issue.

this was on a post-2.02 character.

I do have it, Not equipped but I do have it, I got it Pre-2.02. And shards seemed to still drop, then they stopped. Then 2.02 came out, they started dropping again, and now they stopped again. So, I honestly have no idea if there is some sort of trigger or a bug, or if it's purely random and I've hit a hot streak and an unlucky streak.

I do have it, Not equipped but I do have it, I got it Pre-2.02. And shards seemed to still drop, then they stopped. Then 2.02 came out, they started dropping again, and now they stopped again. So, I honestly have no idea if there is some sort of trigger or a bug, or if it's purely random and I've hit a hot streak and an unlucky streak.
Apparently according to other forums there are multiple triggers for cyberware shards not dropping. The aforementioned Axolotl bug was one, as well as starting Phantom Liberty, and I think I read something about hitting a certain level before act 2? It's very strange to say the least.

I am waiting for this to be fixed since 2.0 . Soft cap, really - this is a goddamn single-player game. Allow me to equip more iconic cyberware.

UPDATE: There's a hard cap on how much cyberware capacity you can get from shards, and which shards you get at which level. (you're capped at 80 apparently.) Once you hit that cap then cyberware shards stop dropping.

Found out through one mod on the Nexus that just gives you the 80 point bonus to your cyberware cap directly, and removes the RNG shards completely.

UPDATE: There's a hard cap on how much cyberware capacity you can get from shards, and which shards you get at which level. (you're capped at 80 apparently.) Once you hit that cap then cyberware shards stop dropping.

Found out through one mod on the Nexus that just gives you the 80 point bonus to your cyberware cap directly, and removes the RNG shards completely.
It was changed. In 2.1 you get 54 from the base game, means 7 - 4 - 4 - 2 shards and PL only gives you 5 green shards from specific cyberjunkies and 1 shard can be found in the unground garage right in the first quest of PL. That makes 424 or 354 without Chrome Compressor or 350 if you only have 4 stats >=9.

They either forgot to include these 7 - 4 PL shards in the 2.1, which would make perfect 450 capacity, or removed them on purpose to make 424 capacity, mentioned by somebody as an answer from the technical support.

It was changed. In 2.1 you get 54 from the base game, means 7 - 4 - 4 - 2 shards and PL only gives you 5 green shards from specific cyberjunkies and 1 shard can be found in the unground garage right in the first quest of PL. That makes 424 or 354 without Chrome Compressor or 350 if you only have 4 stats >=9.

They either forgot to include these 7 - 4 PL shards in the 2.1, which would make perfect 450 capacity, or removed them on purpose to make 424 capacity, mentioned by somebody as an answer from the technical support.
playing on ps5 i noticed that cyberware bugs out after using more than 435 after 2.1 ending in not beeing able to switch or sell any cyberware in the ripperdoc menu. sitting on 435/492 (yeah duplicated via container exploite pre 2.1) - if i use more than 435 the numbers go above the red-max-cap line at the left UI and vanishes triggering the freeze bug even tho i technically have more capacity left till 492. so i dont think there is a coded hardcap at all - just a soft cap and if you go beyond that the ripperdocs totally get screwed....

i just wonder why there isnt a hard cap coded from the get go.... saying this i wont ever be able to use the edgerunner perk on this save until i take the bug and use all of the capacity i got left. and yeah even if i bug out my ripperdocs doing so the edgerunner perk seems to work and trigger of the cost not beeing able to switch any cyberware further on.... weird code, weird system - far from polished.

edit: and its definitly not level bound - i got 2 legendary shard drops on lvl 59 on this char since i havent picked up any shard i found after i duped up to my former 492 BiS capacity. but i can tell it doesnt matter if you pick them up or not - the drops are capped not the actual pick ups, saying this after i left all drops on the ground on this char and it stopped dropping after several drops.

Last edited:
playing on ps5 i noticed that cyberware bugs out after using more than 435 after 2.1 ending in not beeing able to switch or sell any cyberware in the ripperdoc menu. sitting on 435/492 (yeah duplicated via container exploite pre 2.1) - if i use more than 435 the numbers go above the red-max-cap line at the left UI and vanishes triggering the freeze bug even tho i technically have more capacity left till 492. so i dont think there is a coded hardcap coded at all - just a soft cap and if you go beyond that the ripperdocs totally get screwed....

i just wonder why there isnt a hard cap coded from the get go.... saying this i wont ever be able to use the edgerunner perk on this save until i take the bug and use all of the capacity i got left. and yeah even if i bug out my ripperdocs doing so the edgerunner perk seems to work and trigger of the cost not beeing able to switch any cyberware further on.... weird code, weird system - far from polished.

edit: and its definitly not level bound - i got 2 legendary shard drops on lvl 59 on this char since i havent picked up any shard i found after i duped up to my former 492 BiS duping. but i can tell it doesnt matter if you pick them up or not - the drops are capped not the actual pick ups, saying this after i left all drops on the ground on this char and it stopped dropping after several drops.
But it is hardcoded. You can't get over 424 capacity without using exploits.

But it is hardcoded. You can't get over 424 capacity without using exploits.
nah if it would be hard coded there wouldnt be a chance to get above a certain max number no matter what - it wouldnt just increase and wouldnt bug out. it just isnt capped because they didnt expect anyone to go beyond there official limit in mind.

Last edited:
nah if it would be hard coded there wouldnt be a chance to get above a certain max number no matter what - it wouldnt just increase and wouldnt bug out. it just isnt capped because they didnt expect anyone to go beyond there official limit in mind.
I mean, the number of shards is hard-coded and the game can't drop more than that, except if you use exploits.

I mean, the number of shards is hard-coded and the game can't drop more than that, except if you use exploits.
ah okay yeah thats true tho - but there isnt actually a hard coded max capacity even tho there should be one.

its also kinda bad game design because they never officially told how this system actually works. people would still be curious if modders/the community havent tested it or looked for code fragments. no way of planning builds anymore all we got is a myth how it works and thats why people claim it broken in regards of shard drops on higher levels etc. - they just could have introduced it the way it is offically and noone would be curious at all. but no not a single word up until today... just "we fixed it" - hell yeah but what did you fix exactly? noone knows for sure.

ah okay yeah thats true tho - but there isnt actually a hard coded max capacity even tho there should be one.

its also kinda bad game design because they never officially told how this system actually works. people would still be curious if modders/the community havent tested it or looked for code fragments. no way of planning builds anymore all we got is a myth how it works and thats why people claim it broken in regards of shard drops on higher levels etc. - they just could have introduced it the way it is offically and noone would be curious at all. but no not a single word up until today... just "we fixed it" - hell yeah but what did you fix exactly? noone knows for sure.
All the files are here:
Cyberpunk 2077\tools\redmod\tweaks\base\gameplay\static_data\database\loot\controlled_loot.tweak (look for comments)

CyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseLimiter : ControlledLootSet
{
maxDropsGloballyShared = true;
dropsInContainers = false;
blocksInContainers = false;
}

UncommonCyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseGame : CyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseLimiter
{
lootItems =
[
{
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_Uncommon"; <------------------- GREEN SHARDS
}
];
playerPrereqID = "LootPrereqs.CyberwareCapacityShard_Tier2_Prereq";
maxDrops = 7; <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MAX 7 PIECES
}

RareCyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseGame : CyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseLimiter
{
lootItems =
[
{
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_Rare"; <------------------------------ BLUE SHARDS
}
];
playerPrereqID = "LootPrereqs.CyberwareCapacityShard_Tier3_Prereq";
maxDrops = 4; <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MAX 4 PIECES
}

EpicCyberwareCapacityShardLootSet : CyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseLimiter
{
lootItems =
[
{
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_Epic"; <------------------------------ PURPLE SHARDS
}
];
playerPrereqID = "LootPrereqs.CyberwareCapacityShard_Tier4_Prereq";
maxDrops = 4; <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MAX 4 PIECES
}

LegendaryCyberwareCapacityShardLootSet : CyberwareCapacityShardLootSet_BaseLimiter
{
lootItems =
[
{
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_Legendary"; <----------------------- ORANGE SHARDS
}
];
playerPrereqID = "LootPrereqs.CyberwareCapacityShard_Tier5_Prereq";
maxDrops = 2; <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MAX 2 PIECES
}

The piece of code with shards for PL was removed in 2.1. But there were added following lines:
Cyberpunk 2077\tools\redmod\tweaks\ep1\gameplay\static_data\database\loot\ep1_cyberjunkies_loot.tweak

Cbj_ep1_01_loot : EP1_cyberjunkie_loot <---------------------------- CYBERJUNKIES
{
maxItemsToLoot = 5; <------------------------------------------------------------------------ MAX 5 TIMES
lootItems =
[
{
dropChance = 1000; <----------------------------------------- 100% CHANCE
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_2_Uncommon"; <-------------------------- GREEN SHARD
},

Cyberpunk 2077\tools\redmod\tweaks\ep1\gameplay\static_data\database\loot\ep1_quest_loot.tweak and inside you can find:

q301_cwshard_parking : LootTable <---------------------------------- UNDEGROUND PARKING QUEST
{
fk< LootItem >[] lootItems =
[
{
playerPrereqID = "LootPrereqs.PlayerLevel_Tier_1_to_4_Exclusion_Prereq";
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_2_Rare"; <-------------------------------- BLUE IF BELOW LVL 17 (it is actually 17 and not 25)
} : LootItem,
{
playerPrereqID = "LootPrereqs.PlayerLevel_Tier_4_Start_Prereq";
itemID = "Items.CWCapacityPermaReward_2_Epic"; <--------------------------------- PURPLE IF ABOVE LVL 17
} : LootItem
];
}

The only real question is, were the shards from PL removed on purpose or not?

Last edited:
Top Bottom