Dark Souls II

+
Have you ever been in a situation when you really-really-really wanted something? After reading this, I have this insatiable desire to play DS2 I have real troubles to quench.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-ii-a-diary/1100-6415574/

Man, March 2014 simply can't come soon enough. :(

Yeah I feel ya man. I really do. Don't know if you still feel the same but man. Right now, I'm counting the fucking seconds that Dark Souls 2 will be released. I'm fucking craving that shit so hard. I need to play it. Like, NAO!

Man. This kind of hype ain't good for ya but the thing is, everyone who has tried the game has said it's better than the first. Which is insane! ENB got to play the whole thing and he said it's definitely better than the first game. So yeah. I'm hyped. I'm so hyped, I might turn into a frog wearing a tupe made of seashells and fart nuclear bombs out of my nostrils. I too, would give 5 years of my pathetic worthless life to play something this awesome. March can't come soon enough, indeed.

I expected it would require a Steam key, but I cannot find any confirmation that it will require a Steam key to play. The website has confirmed Steam as a way to play the game but that's about it. Does anyone know or better yet have any citation as to whether Dark Souls II will require a Steam key?

I expected it would require a Steam key, but I cannot find any confirmation that it will require a Steam key to play. The website has confirmed Steam as a way to play the game but that's about it. Does anyone know or better yet have any citation as to whether Dark Souls II will require a Steam key?

My man, listen. Steam is a small price to pay in order to play such a tremendous game. That is, if Dark Souls is any indication of the quality that will be in the sequel.

Nobody's 100% sure if it will use Steam since the developers haven't come out and flat out said yes or no. However, there's been multiple images seen on their website where the Steam and Valve logo has been featured on their promotional stuff. So we can be fairly sure that it will indeed be tied to Steam.

Take it from a guy who had to endure the bullshit cesspool of a service that is (soon to be "was") Games for Windows Live, Steam is a fucking god sent in comparison. GFWL really was that bad. I've used Steam for many years and have had little to no problems with it, at all. I understand your reservations but I think it would be a damn shame to miss out on a great game simply because it uses a digital distribution service platform. FromSoft has mad skills when it comes to atmosphere, presentation and, most importantly, game design. They, if any, deserve support.

I hope I'll get to see your summon sign in the game in a couple of weeks man :)

I've just had a look on Steam and the release date for Dark Souls 2 is on the 25th April. In other words, my Birthday!
View attachment 2188

Attachments

• DSII date.jpg
    DSII date.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
I've just had a look on Steam and the release date for Dark Souls 2 is on the 25th April. In other words, my Birthday!
View attachment 2188

Yeah was just going to share the release date with y'all as well. I'm fucking devastated. Almost 2 fucking months from today. 1 and a half from the release of the console versions.

What the fuck is taking FromSoft so long?! Durante fixed the first DkS in mere minutes after release and they can't do it IN LESS THAN A MONTH!

Fuck it... It is what it is but I'm not happy, at fucking all.

Yeah was just going to share the release date with y'all as well. I'm fucking devastated. Almost 2 fucking months from today. 1 and a half from the release of the console versions.

What the fuck is taking FromSoft so long?! Durante fixed the first DkS in mere minutes after release and they can't do it IN LESS THAN A MONTH!

I'm not too happy myself, but remember what they say; Patience is a virtue. At least for me it's on the best day of the year for me (not that I pay much attention to my age anymore)! Oh and Cheylus, just go on blackout mode and DON'T READ ANY SPOILERS!

As always you shout things without knowledge or thinking. Durante only fixed the resolution upscaling issue, and he revealed he had been working on it for at least a week or two before the game launched.

He did not fix mouse issues, 30 FPS lock, lack of proper anti-aliasing and so on. Those took at least a few more weeks, and it took them longer then that to get them to work properly.

Aver

Forum veteran
I loved difficulty level in first one, but I really hated how repetitive game is. I finished it just for pure satisfaction of "I finished Dark Souls", but I stopped having fun half way through. Only bosses were exciting.

From Software promises that the game's controls have been "perfectly" adapted to mouse and keyboard.

I would take those words with grain of salt. From Software might have good intentions, but they don't have idea about playing on PC, so something "perfect" for them, might not be "perfect" for a regular PC gamer.

Last edited:
I need to say that i detest dark souls 1 for having awful m&k controls. But i just preordered ds2 on steam after reading this article.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/da...es-increased-texture-resolution/1100-6418146/
especially this part:

I don't know guys, i still feel kinda dirty because i didn't like the first game and i probably gonna regret it.

Didn't like the first one? That's totally understandable, it's a very polarizing title. I hope that Dark Souls 2 doesn't end up disappointing you :)

Regarding the keyboard and mouse thing, like Aver said, take that with a grain of salt. I wouldn't doubt FromSoft, if they're saying they're putting more work into the port then I believe them. However! They are a Japanese company. PC gaming in Japan is NOT a thing. I don't really see them translating the input methods perfectly to keyboard and mouse but I could be wrong. Maybe they have some dude there that's familiar with PC gaming and their playtesters are total boss dudes who know their shit. I don't know. Just wanted to at the very least inform you.

That said, I cannot wait for Dark Souls 2! I've heard from people that DkS2 is better than the first one which just blows my mind. The first one is a god damn masterpiece so yeah. Bring it the hell on baby!

Foggy is right. Japan on the whole ignores PC gaming, so while From may have the best intentions, I wouldn't assume they've actually made competent M&K controls. I'll have to read reviews to see if they have a good PC port or not.

Yes, Japan does focus mostly on developing console games. Dark Souls is pretty much unplayable with a keyboard/mouse, but it's quite fun if you use an X360 gamepad. As far as I know, From Software didn't have any intention to release Dark Souls on PC initially, but decided to do so because of a ton of requests from their fan base, which is pretty cool. I've logged hundreds of hours in the game, myself.

That said, Japan has produced some pretty good PC ports lately (mostly from Capcom), so I wouldn't give up all hope of decent PC controls in Dark Souls II. I think Japan is becoming more aware of the worldwide market for PC games, so it's only logical to assume that companies like From would expend resources to make their games more appealing for PC gamers.

Seems like From has pulled an Ubi!

Demo:

Final game:

Demo:

Final game:

Final game(at least on PS3) doesn't seem to have any sort of bump/normal mapping and specular highlights on the wall:

The demo looks like something that definitely can run on modern pc. There is no reason to assume that game will look different.

Best to ditch m&k for DS1 and games like it. I have a controller for just this situation when a game is designed without PC in mind. I dislike controllers, but that doesn't take anything away from the fun I have with DS.

If they would "pulled the Ubi" as you said then they would upload a trailer with updated graphics.

Also I wouldn't be so sure if PC will have better graphics. You know - PC & Japan have problem with understanding each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom