Did CDPR miss a great chance by not incl. Retro wave?

+
It makes no sense negating the music from the 80s or retrowave for that matter but then go with the 90s and ignore music like Daft Punk which literally sounds like it was made from another galaxy and they also started in a garage (That being an argument here in their explanation)

The Blade Runner thing is also not making sense. Blade Runner Music was already being done to death? Where? When? By whom? On what planet? In what galaxy? I own the Soundtrack from back then so i know that it wasn't done anywhere again after Blade Runner. (not even in the new one)

Giorgo moroder would also have been a thing. That man literally started it all in 1965! You can't tell me you went with 90s music because that is when everyone could do it from the garage or with no background of it all when ppl literally started it decades before. And it became avaliable to everyone in the 60s and 70s depending on where you lived.

At least be honest and say your preference was biased on your own personal experience instead of making stuff up ppl who are as old as me can disprove in mere seconds. Self made music or self made electronic music did not start in the 90s. And whoever says it did has no clue what he is talking about.

And before someone slams me for this little rant. The devs or management can do what they want. It is their game. However you can not state your reasoning was because it all started in the 90s when it became avaliable to anyone. Because that is A not true and B would mean that ppl like giorgo did not influence entire generations like prodigy or daft punk and many more to even start a music career.

I'm so glad it wasn't included. It's so cliche and generic to link the two genres together. I don't even hate the music but almost every piece of Cyberpunk media has some of this flavour of music and it's so overused and repetitive.

I don't really agree with the logic of that interview either. Rather than being a justification of why it's tonally appropriate, it really comes across as "we grew up in the '90s and like '90s music, so that's what we're going with". Like you said, Cyberpunk, both the genre and the original RPG, was born of the '80s, and while there are a few notable exceptions like Snow Crash (though it's arguable whether that's truly cyberpunk or a satire), it was pretty much dead as a literary genre by the mid '90s. Coincidentally or not, so was the Japanese economic miracle, which had inspired certain elements of cyberpunk to a considerable extent. Anyway, at least some '80s inspired music would have been appreciated.
Couldn't have said it better myself :ok:

Synthwave would have been nice to have, at least on the radio.

Here's the thing, though. Even though the game clearly has a "future of the 80s" shtick going on, the actual soundtrack (the BGM, I mean) does absolutely nothing to service this. In the 80s, musical scores were legitimately great in their own right, worth buying on CD and listening to without the movie for context. But the score for Cyberpunk 2077 is far more typical of something from this millennium: Tense, droning, atmospheric but uninteresting. Not a single moment of it is something you could hum to yourself.

Here's a fun experiment: Next time you're listening to the game's BGM, try to count how often it's changing key. Spoiler: You won't need any fingers.

as soon I heard them say 'we want to take the sound out of the 80's and into the 90's'

I instantly know that musician mentality. It basically means they think synthwave is overdone and the style is beneath them.
Post automatically merged:

It's like Mick Gordon saying 'metal music has become a bit of a joke'

Oh yes metal music is completely beneath me....but I'll still build my entire career from it hahahaha

Yes give me more of my Synth/Retro-Wave, like Dance with the Dead, Scandroid, etc.. (or add a custom radio) please <3

Until then I will just listen to Vexelstrom :)

Yeah, I do think it would have been a good addition. In fact I sort of expected that the whole soundtrack would be synthwave as much as the sound has been associated. Jazz was the most unexpected inclusion.

The current radio station selection weirdly reminds me of the shoplifter scene from Empire Records. "look what you took?.. Rap, Metal, Rap, Metal.. Whitney Houston."

I would love some sort of oldies hits too, it just perfectly fits NightCity 😊.
What a shame I can't create my own radio station on my console 😅...adding Dua Lipa and Weekend would be fun

Per experience, playing the Blade Runner Blues while cruising the streets of Night City on a lonely, rainy evening is a mood that none of the in-game radio even remotely captures.

Personally I hate the music with a few exceptions and quickly turn the radio off. More music choice is never bad. Limiting music for aesthetic reasons is valid, excluding things because you aren't familiar with it or grew up with something else and feel it's superior? Bad idea.

I'm really glad they didn't include "retrowave" genres or do the whole neo-80s thing as many wanted not only would it have been generic as fuck it would be the most ucnreative way to to do cyberpunk possible, the setting does a good job of taking the 2020 heavily 80s inspired setting and evolving it into the future in a way that makes sense for that world, people no longer dress in 80s fashion or lsiten to "retowave" but there are anachonistic aspects like the USSR still existing, japan being a domiannt economic power and a net that evolved down a completely different path than our own.

I'm really glad they didn't include "retrowave" genres or do the whole neo-80s thing as many wanted not only would it have been generic as fuck it would be the most ucnreative way to to do cyberpunk possible, the setting does a good job of taking the 2020 heavily 80s inspired setting and evolving it into the future in a way that makes sense for that world, people no longer dress in 80s fashion or lsiten to "retowave" but there are anachonistic aspects like the USSR still existing, japan being a domiannt economic power and a net that evolved down a completely different path than our own.

I agree with some of this. People do definitely still dress up in 80s based fashion that's for sure but musically we have moved on pretty far. The fact they didn't go down that generic path is what makes the soundtrack and score so great. All the radio music feels like it was created by residents of that world. If there had been synthwave, retrowave, etc styles in there it would have really negatively affected the tone and atmosphere the music works so hard to create.

DC9V

Forum veteran
The thing is: Music is always a bit late when it comes to genres. The Neoclassicism (cultural movement) began 1760, followed by the First Viennese School in 1780 (Wiener Klassik) which became the most defining part of classical music as we know today. Similar things happend to the 90s. Compared to Classical music, the 80s are kind of the time between Baroque music and Classical music. You can hear that it's similar, but it hasn't reached its full potential yet. And 80s music is full of clichés. It sounds cheap. Someone figured out how to sample a snare drum and some other guy forgot to turn off his microphone and BAM every single band on the radio used the same trashy sound for 10 freaking years. But THANK GOD the 90s finally cleaned that up... Lets not do the same mistake twice.

Last edited:
Synthwave is played out for the cyberpunk genre. Can't deny that especially because you said how often the sound is associated with cyberpunk aesthetics. Shit, it gets repetitive. I'm happy they've recognized it and moved up to the industrial and other movements.

But that doesn't all mean synth is gone from the equation since you got Mitch and Powerglove in the game. Used to listen to Mitch in 2006, I'm excited that he's in the game. Then you got Powerglove, the band has been making synth tunes for many years now. Heck, they've been making songs for FarCry: Blood Dragon and Kung Fury, and now they're in Cyberpunk 2077. Just gotta listen to the radio once in a while.

Top Bottom