DirectX future releases for REDengine 3 and the PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
GeraltTheRiv said:
The start button is functional in 8.1 you right click it and it magically pulls up stuff
Not really. All it does is flip you back to Metro. Those apps give you a real start button.

If you right click the Start button it does not bring up the metro screen..,......it brings up a menu very similar to the w7 menu. Not as in depth, but that is where the Desktop icon in your task bar comes into play once you enable it via the instructions I gave in m,y earlier post. I never see the metro screen unless I choose to. I also can find anything you can in windows 7 that a typical user would use just as fast or faster without ever using/seeing metro... I promise.......windows 8.1 fixed all the issues with windows 8.

Everybody I have shown the way I do things on w8.1 have scratched their heads and said "damn I didn't know you could do that" even a a programmer buddy who switched after I showed him how to properly navigate w8.1. Basically all MS did was move some menu options you just have to enable the desktop icon in your task bar between it and right clicking the start menu icon You can get to all the same stuff as before. Also it is more stream lined easier in fact to navigate. I think I will make a video and post it this Sunday as it is clear to me that nobody really knows how to do what I am suggesting.

Agent_Blue

Hmmm, hasn't this been moved to the community section?

My take on 8/8.1 is this: quite faster than 7, which was already better than Vista. More importantly though, the «modern apps» are a step backwards. Less functional than the counterparts they're supposed to be replacing. I can't zoom. I can't place 5 of then side by side. I can't resize them to my liking.

For example, why on earth would I want Xbox music - a nice service that legally lets me stream 10 hours of ad-drenched music per month - why would I want it filling up the entire screen, occupying all that precious real estate on something as trivial and secondary as a music player? And basic controls aren't even accessible right away. Really poor design.

Metro style apps offer zero advantages over their predecessors. On the contrary, they're quite cumbersome.

I don't stare at an OS and marvel at how great looking it is. I use it to get things done.

kythor said:
It would probably be more exciting for me if they'd make a Mantle version of the game
There is a problem with AMD's Mantle graphics API right now.

AMD asked Intel, Nvidia, and a few others to support Mantle on their hardware and Intel, Nvidia, and those few others who no one knows who they are at the moment told AMD that they don't care about it and did not listen to AMD at all.

AMD is targeting 100,000 draw calls for Mantle. Microsoft released DirectX 11.2 which does 100,000 draw calls if not more than 100,000 draw calls. I keep hearing rumors that Nvidia pushed Microsoft for this.

So if Intel, Nvidia, and others don't care and won't end up supporting Mantle on their hardware it's going to be bad because it will work only on AMD hardware and graphic cards.

Personally I think Mantle is dead on arrival (DoA) kinda like Glide.

DirectX 11 and OpenGL work on all hardware AMD, Intel, and Nvidia's graphic cards. So the PC community right now is not segregated with DirectX and OpenGL unlike Mantle at the moment which might only work on AMD hardware because Intel and Nvidia said they don't care.

But who knows Intel and Nvidia might change their mind in 1 year or never change their mind. Anyways supporting to many graphics API's on the PC costs to much money and it is annoying to keep introducing new graphics API's just stick with one or two that can do everything Mantle can do because we have 4 right now DirectX, Glide (Don't know who uses Glide anymore), OpenGL, and Mantle. Maintaining so many graphics API's will require a lot of coding and people to train with skills, etc Which costs money.

I get this feeling that because of DirectX we PC Gamers don't get to see some good games that are only available on Consoles.

I'm certainly excited about AMD's Mantle a low-level API allows access to GPU without the bottlenecks of DirectX. The good thing is that Mantle is not AMD exclusive.

Sercan said:
I get this feeling that because of DirectX we PC Gamers don't get to see some good games that are only available on Consoles.

Same way as PC gamers who use Linux don't get to see games which are only available on Windows (because of DirectX).

Sercan said:

I'm certainly excited about AMD's Mantle a low-level API allows access to GPU without the bottlenecks of DirectX. The good thing is that Mantle is not AMD exclusive.

Mantle isn't on the consoles, and there are no plans to use it there. So it provides no foundation to port console games to PC.

As to Mantle being an open API, it is a claim that is given plausible words with only empty truth behind it. The fact is that Mantle (and also TressFX, another technology AMD claims is open) is deeply dependent on GCN, so there is no way Intel or nVidia can take up AMD's offer to adopt Mantle, and no reason to run Mantle code on anything but an AMD GPU.

Old wine in new bottles. Until proven wrong, I say it's Glide all over again. The only genuinely open 3D API, supported across all modern operating systems and graphics cards, remains OpenGL.

Ballowers100 said:
There is a problem with AMD's Mantle graphics API right now.

AMD asked Intel, Nvidia, and a few others to support Mantle on their hardware and Intel, Nvidia, and those few others who no one knows who they are at the moment told AMD that they don't care about it and did not listen to AMD at all.

Source?

AMD is targeting 100,000 draw calls for Mantle. Microsoft released DirectX 11.2 which does 100,000 draw calls if not more than 100,000 draw calls. I keep hearing rumors that Nvidia pushed Microsoft for this.

This is simply not true. DirectX 11.2 cannot issue 100,000 draw calls. The main benefit of DX11.2 has nothing to do with draw calls in fact, but with tiled resources.

I'm not exactly pro Mantle, but almost all of what you said is not true..

GuyN said:
The fact is that Mantle (and also TressFX, another technology AMD claims is open) is deeply dependent on GCN, so there is no way Intel or nVidia can take up AMD's offer to adopt Mantle, and no reason to run Mantle code on anything but an AMD GPU.

TressFX uses DirectCompute, so it's not really dependent on GCN. It's just that GCN has strong compute capabilities. It actually runs really well on NVidia hardware though, after months of driver optimization and patches..

PrinceofNothing said:
Source?

This is simply not true. DirectX 11.2 cannot issue 100,000 draw calls. The main benefit of DX11.2 has nothing to do with draw calls in fact, but with tiled resources.

I'm not exactly pro Mantle, but almost all of what you said is not true..
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715349

Yes I know DirectX 11.2 does tiled resources but there are rumors of Nvidia pushing Microsoft for more than 100,000 draw calls.

PrinceofNothing said:
TressFX uses DirectCompute, so it's not really dependent on GCN. It's just that GCN has strong compute capabilities. It actually runs really well on NVidia hardware though, after months of driver optimization and patches..

Well, actually, it does depend on GCN for its performance. There are features available only in GCN that are heavily used to optimize TressFX. TressFX performance on nVidia cards remains terrible.

Ballowers100 said:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715349

Yes I know DirectX 11.2 does tiled resources but there are rumors of Nvidia pushing Microsoft for more than 100,000 draw calls.

I quickly scanned that thread, and I didn't see anything pertaining to NVidia pushing Microsoft for more than 100,000 draw calls.

GuyN said:
Well, actually, it does depend on GCN for its performance. There are features available only in GCN that are heavily used to optimize TressFX. TressFX performance on nVidia cards remains terrible.

It's true that Tomb Raider performs very well on GCN hardware with TressFX turned on, but it also happens to perform very well on NVidia hardware as well..

PrinceofNothing said:
I quickly scanned that thread, and I didn't see anything pertaining to NVidia pushing Microsoft for more than 100,000 draw calls.
The rumor was not on that NeoGAF topic it was somewhere else about Nvidia pushing Microsoft and I don't remember where.

The only thing that is on that NeoGAF topic is Intel, Nvidia, and others not listening to AMD that's it. I should of made it clear when I posted that comment.

GuyN said:
TressFX performance on nVidia cards remains terrible.
Just plain wrong. The performance impact is about the same on Radeons and Geforces.
(benchmarks: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Radeon-Grafikkarte-255597/Tests/Tomb-Raider-PC-Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1058878/)

M4xw0lf said:
Just plain wrong. The performance impact is about the same on Radeons and Geforces.
(benchmark: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/03/Tomb-Raider-GPU-Benchmarks-integrated-TressFX.png)

is what I get .

Top Bottom