DLSS Frame Generation remains grayed out.

+
ENGLISCH

DLSS Frame Generation remains grayed out.

Hello

I have the following problem the setting of DLSS remains gray or is not at all displayed, what I have already tried is with the tool DDU very fresh to reinstall my GPU drivers, I also have several new installations to make from the game version 1.63 to the current build, my hardware is accelerated to (see picture) and the setting in the jason file I have changed to "true" but all gray. I have also tested other games whether DLSS and frame generation function here it works to 100%, in Cyberpunk I do not ask for help maybe who knows a solution or can tell me what it is.

PC Specs :

Asus Z790 Maximus
Intel i9 14000k
64 GB DDR5 6000 Mhz
RTX 4090

My PC should come to the minimumanfoprderungen, but still have the problems.

DEUTSCH

DLSS Frame Generation bleibt ausgegraut .

Hallo

Ich habe folgenes Problem die Einstellung von DLSS bleibt grau oder wird erst garnicht angezeigt , was ich schon versucht habe ist mit den Tool DDU ganz frisch meine GPU Treiber neu zu installieren , ich habe auch mehre Neu Installationen zu machen vom Game version 1.63 bis zu aktuellen build , meine Hardware beschleunigug ist an ( siehe Bild ) auch die einstellung in der jason datei habe ich geändert auf "true" aber auch den alles grau . ich habe auch andere Games getestet ob DLSS und Frame Generation funktonieren hier klappt es zu 100% , bei Cyberpunk nicht ich bitte um Hilfe vielleicht kennt wer eine lösung oder kann mir sagen woran es liegt .

PC Specs :

Asus Z790 Maximus
Intel i9 14000k
64 GB DDR5 6000 Mhz
RTX 4090

Mein PC sollte auf die Mindesanfoprderungen kommen , habe aber dennoch die Probleme .

_______________ PS : Its Goolge Translate sorry , my englisch is not good .

Attachments

• Bensch.png
    Bensch.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 39
  • dlss.png
    dlss.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Grau.png
    Grau.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • Hardware.png
    Hardware.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 41
Not an expert , but I see "r545_00" in your first screenshot so I have to ask just in case :)
It's the Game Reader Drivers (GRD) you installed not the Studio Drivers (SD)?

I did DDU also in safe mode uninstalled Nvidia and put fresh on it but the driver doesn't change and I can't change the right . i have new screenshots

Attachments

• Bensch2.png
    Bensch2.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 21
  • DLSSoff2.png
    DLSSoff2.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
  • gameready.png
    gameready.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 21
Do you have an HDR monitor? Using the scRGB option for HDR doesn't allow to enable frame generation.

Also, try deleting all the files in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

No I don't have an HDR monitor, I did it with the delete, but unfortunately no change

ENGLISCH

I have solved my problem, what I had, that was the activation of DLSS and Frame Gen, which did not work for me, I had the error that I had an ENTERPRISE version as a graphics driver on it even with the tool DDU I could not uninstall, I also deleted manually from System32 and Regedit the driver out, but after I reinstalled a GPU Teiber 546. 33, the Enterprise driver reinstalled itself, even though I deleted it from every file, so I had no choice but to reinstall Windows. the conclusion. Now everything works again .

PS: The pre-installed ENTERPREIS graphics driver was to problem

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Ich habe mein Problem gelöst, was ich hatte, das war die Aktivierung von DLSS und Frame Gen, die bei mir nicht funktionierte, ich hatte den Fehler, dass ich eine ENTERPRISE-Version als Grafiktreiber drauf hatte auch mit dem Tool DDU konnte ich nicht deinstallieren, ich löschte ausserdem manuel aus System32 und Regedit den Treiber raus, aber nachdem ich einen GPU Teiber wieder installierte 546.33 hat sich der Enterprise-Treiber wieder installiert , obwohl ich das gelöscht habe aus jeder datei , also mir blib den nix anderes übrig als Windows neu zu installieren . das Fazit . Jetzt geht alles wieder .

PS: Schuld war der vorinstallierte ENTERPREIS Grafiktreiber

Attachments

• dlss2.png
    dlss2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
When you install new drivers after uninstalling them with DDU in safe mode, make sure to physically disconnect your PC from the internet, so that windows update won't automatically install the drivers they want.

When you install new drivers after uninstalling them with DDU in safe mode, make sure to physically disconnect your PC from the internet, so that windows update won't automatically install the drivers they want.
Or check the box in DDUs options for blocking windows nvidia drivers. Works like a charm for me.

All of these explanations sounds very complicated to me. How comes that, when something doesn't work in a game, people automatically imagine that your drivers are wrong or your system is wrong, it is your fault and you should waste time reinstalling or fixing all sorts of things.

I have a gaming PC. That's all it does, it is dedicated to that task. Nothing is installed on that machine, except a few games. Latest Windows, latest drivers for everything, at all times. The setup is ultimate, Intel Core i9-13900 KF at 6 Ghz with Nvidia RTX 4090, HDR monitor and the whole nine yards. No other game gives any kind of problem.

Now that this is explained, when I bought the Phantom Liberty expansion, we were sold how wonderful that DSSL Frame Generation would be and I thought it would be cool to see that in action on modern hardware and software that can do it. Well, the option in disabled is the menu, so I never got to try, and that has nothing to do with drivers or Windows configuration. At best, the game doesn't detect things correctly. And that is actually not excusable because I am not using exotic or unusual hardware. In the contrary, I am using the high end, very classic hardware that the company should have been using to test the game at max settings, and I do that on a virgin Windows PC that is always up-to-date.
I will add that, the configuration screen has a mind of its own when it comes to playing with these settings, it does change your settings as you try to select them. I mean, just try to click the different settings and options and you will see it, I don't need to argue about that. And that is a misbehavior in the software. It does not relate at all to our drivers or Windows configuration. And please, the monitor that you are using is totally irrelevant when we are talking about configuring the graphic options like activating DSSL and frame generation.

To be honest, we shouldn't have to do any of the complicated things described here. If the setting is in the game and you have the appropriate hardware and the latest drivers, you should be able to select the option, and the game should not unselect/undo things when you're trying to make a selection.

Not that I care, because my hardware is powerful enough that I don't need an AI to invent frames instead of rendering the actual game, but, simply said, that option does not work. It is not selectable.

All of these explanations sounds very complicated to me. How comes that, when something doesn't work in a game, people automatically imagine that your drivers are wrong or your system is wrong, it is your fault and you should waste time reinstalling or fixing all sorts of things.

I have a gaming PC. That's all it does, it is dedicated to that task. Nothing is installed on that machine, except a few games. Latest Windows, latest drivers for everything, at all times. The setup is ultimate, Intel Core i9-13900 KF at 6 Ghz with Nvidia RTX 4090, HDR monitor and the whole nine yards. No other game gives any kind of problem.

Now that this is explained, when I bought the Phantom Liberty expansion, we were sold how wonderful that DSSL Frame Generation would be and I thought it would be cool to see that in action on modern hardware and software that can do it. Well, the option in disabled is the menu, so I never got to try, and that has nothing to do with drivers or Windows configuration. At best, the game doesn't detect things correctly. And that is actually not excusable because I am not using exotic or unusual hardware. In the contrary, I am using the high end, very classic hardware that the company should have been using to test the game at max settings, and I do that on a virgin Windows PC that is always up-to-date.
I will add that, the configuration screen has a mind of its own when it comes to playing with these settings, it does change your settings as you try to select them. I mean, just try to click the different settings and options and you will see it, I don't need to argue about that. And that is a misbehavior in the software. It does not relate at all to our drivers or Windows configuration. And please, the monitor that you are using is totally irrelevant when we are talking about configuring the graphic options like activating DSSL and frame generation.

To be honest, we shouldn't have to do any of the complicated things described here. If the setting is in the game and you have the appropriate hardware and the latest drivers, you should be able to select the option, and the game should not unselect/undo things when you're trying to make a selection.

Not that I care, because my hardware is powerful enough that I don't need an AI to invent frames instead of rendering the actual game, but, simply said, that option does not work. It is not selectable.
While I could go into excruciating detail, the simple answer here is that this entire argument is completely erroneous and unrealistic. If one owns a PC, then one will be responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the hardware and software are compatible with whatever game or game feature one is trying to use.

There are literally millions of potential system configs in the world. If there is a problem with a game's code, then every person in the world sees exactly the same thing. When problems are exclusive, that means there's something wrong on the user's end. Studios will be more than happy to help if problems arise, and sometimes it's even possible for a studio to tweak something to rectify these exclusive issues. But there is often nothing that a developer can do when changes are made on the driver, API, OS, or other 3rd-party end. That will always fall back on the player.

That's the nature of gaming on PC. Always has been. Always will be.

On the topic itself, seeing an option that should be available greyed out is indicative of either a driver issue, an API issue, or a corrupted install. Most commonly, it's a driver issue. If updating doesn't help, rolling back drivers to an earlier version may. Also, if seeing potential issues here, be sure that you're using reference drivers directly downloaded from either Nvidia.com or AMD.com. Avoid beta, manufacturer, or 3rd-party/tweaked drivers. They can introduce variables that exacerbate issues.

Also, be aware that GPUs may not support the newer technologies. Nvidia, especially, is prone to introducing technical features that require the correct hardware to be present on the GPU card itself. Not all models include everything.

Last edited:

I have the same system specs and for me it works. Ive seen other people here have the same issue over and over and its most commonly a corrupted driver due to windows starting to install a auto driver before you start installing the nvidia driver or something. Happend to me too before i found DDU and started using it. Or it has been the game install being corrupted due to a very long file path or just not clean installed and mod residues are left.
The reason that its greyed out it because the game dont detect correctly what card is installed, its likely a driver issue or everybody would have the same issue. The game adjusts some setting depending on what you turn on, but they are pretty much all DLSS settings. The "normal" settings does not change without input. What settings are changing by themself?

Its not uncommon to have problems with PCs in general, its not a simple system. DDU is a easy fix instead of having to hunt down stuff yourself in the registry. If it unselects/undo things something is wrong, it doesnt do that for me except for DLSS settings (Turning on frame gen forces Auto DLSS for example it also forces nvidia reflex on, you can select witch ever you want after you have applied the setting, it also disables some HDR methods.)
Yea with Pathtracing RT on you will not have a good time without DLSS/framegen especially at higher resolutions.

I just installed Windows 10 22H2 from scratch, latest NVidia driver from scratch.
Installed Steam, installed Witcher 3 from steam. Launched it and NO DLSS!
I'm running a 7950X with RTX 4070.
Windows is all up to date (clean install), latest NVidia driver.
Tried to use Nvidia experience to set optimal settings - launched the game, and everything reverts back the way it was. (so nvidia experience doesn't work)
I have enabled GPU Scheduling in Windows 10 as required.

Does CD Projekt Red has any feedback to give us? A clean install of windows, clean install of the driver, clean install of the game, new hardware and NO DLSS.

Tried Starfield, and all DLSS option are there, and they work just fine, including frame generation.

At this point its more than clear that this is a "Witcher 3" problem on Windows 10 (I haven't tried the same on Windows 11 YET) and CD Projekt Red should take it seriously and come up with a fix.
Post automatically merged:

I was able to "FIX" this issue with DLSS not available by moving the game from the NAS network drive I run all my games from to a local hard-drive.

I have been playing Witcher3 for about 3 years with the game being located in my NAS network drive without problems. But it seems the DLSS is broken if the game folder is in a network drive.

Could it be that the DLL filename has a upper/lower case conflict? (I mount all my NAS network drives as NFS mount in windows, since normal SAMBA mount doesn't work for most games)

Anyhow, if someone is having this problem with DLSS not working and have the game files stored in a NAS network drive, try to install the game in a normal harddrive and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Anyhow, if someone is having this problem with DLSS not working and have the game files stored in a NAS network drive, try to install the game in a normal harddrive and see if that fixes the problem.
i was actually about to ask where you hade the game installed. Has happend even if you have it installed on another driver then C: for some people or with a really long file path so i guess its somehow related to the system in some way.

Thanks for the reply, Notserious80... really appreciate!

In my case, I was able to get DLSS working after install it at S:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3, which is a SSD harddrive formatted as NTFS.

First I was wondering about the case-sensitive problem because NFS is a posix network filesystem and it is case-sensitive, where Windows is case-insensitive (ex: in a posix filesystem, you can have 2 files named README.txt and readme.txt, while in Windows filesystems you can't, since README.txt and readme.txt are considered the same file)

So, if nvngx-dlss.dll is loaded as NVNgx-DLSS.dll by Witcher3, it loads fine in a NTFS filesystem, but it will fail in a posix filesystem, like NFS and whatever filesystem is behind it.

BUT, Windows NFS client does have a clever workaround for the case problem, which makes any NFS mounted filesystem become case-insensitive, like NTFS. (mount -o casesensitive=no)

And that's how I mount it on Windows! That's how I was finally able to put my whole steamlibrary on the NAS storage, and everything works!

So, in this case, the NVNgx-DLSS.dl/nvngx-dlss.dll case doesn't apply anymore. So it must be something else that witcher3 is doing to load the dll that no-one else does, and it fails when the dll is on a NFS mapped drive.

The one thing I'm now intrigued by is the "digital signatures". If you open properties for the nvngx_dlss.dll file, you'll se it has a "digital signature", which no-one other file has in the \bin\x64_dx12\ folder.

So, maybe files with "digital signature" fail to "validate" when not in a NTFS formatted drive. But that won't explain the "only works on C:" problem or the "really long file path" problem... I'm going to try to run Witcher3 on Linux with Proton at some point, and check if DLSS works. I did run Witcher3 with proton before, so I know it runs... But now I'm curious about the DLSS with proton.

Unfortunately I can't information about "digital signature" files in network mapped drives, much less on NFS mapped drives.

I already find so ridiculous that games only work correctly using NFS mapped drives, and they fail to run if they are in a SAMBA mapped drive, which is the native windows network filesystem.

I really don't understand why windows treats network storage differently than local storage... in fact, it's kinda hard for me to come into terms with that fact, specially because I use Linux for my day to day work for the past 30 years, and nothing in my work system has been "local" for at least 20 years! (sorry, had to rant about it a little bit... can't control myself!! LOL)

Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to find what the problem was and the workaround to leave it documented here for others. Now I just need to figure out how to put Witcher3 back in the NFS drive with DLSS still working! LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom