Fallout 4

+
The article does say that for Skyrim about half the shipped copies sold within the first 48 hours, so applying a similar ratio to Fallout 4 would give a rough estimate of ~6 million. On SteamSpy, it is currently at ~1.5 million.

Last edited:

He seems to be having a lot of bugs, I am 40 hours in now and still yet to see anything of the sort, also his frame drops are clearly down to his system... I've not dropped below 50 admittedly I am running a 970, but if you're going to talk about performance I don't think it's fair running it on a sub-par machine and going 'Well it isn't running well' as if it's the games fault, he should lower his settings.

Witcher 3 is still definitely better however.

I've not dropped below 50 admittedly I am running a 970, but if you're going to talk about performance I don't think it's fair running it on a sub-par machine and going 'Well it isn't running well' as if it's the games fault, he should lower his settings.
Iirc, he's also on a 970. People with far more powerful systems still get inconsistent performance, so yes, this is the game's fault (or more precisely: that of that abysmal engine).

He seems to be having a lot of bugs, I am 40 hours in now and still yet to see anything of the sort, also his frame drops are clearly down to his system... I've not dropped below 50 admittedly I am running a 970, but if you're going to talk about performance I don't think it's fair running it on a sub-par machine and going 'Well it isn't running well' as if it's the games fault, he should lower his settings.

Witcher 3 is still definitely better however.

4690k and 970 here - frames going wildly from 25 when scoped, 40-45 in cities and sometimes in weirdly empty areas, otherwise 50-60. Game is not optimized well - which is weird cause Gamebryo runs on any toaster usually - maybe it's all the fancy lighting they added and forgot to change bits and pieces of their code.

4690k and 970 here - frames going wildly from 25 when scoped, 40-45 in cities and sometimes in weirdly empty areas, otherwise 50-60. Game is not optimized well - which is weird cause Gamebryo runs on any toaster usually - maybe it's all the fancy lighting they added and forgot to change bits and pieces of their code.

As far as I know, the more stuff you add to an old engine the more unstable it becomes. It feels like all the additions after Oblivion are held together by duct tape.

The article does say that for Skyrim about half the shipped copies sold within the first 48 hours, so applying a similar ratio to Fallout 4 would give a rough estimate of ~6 million. On SteamSpy, it is currently at ~1.5 million.

Sometimes, it is better not to apply similar ratios.

I used to doubt Bethesda's programming team. Now I know even I am better than them... and that is VERY sad (as I am terrible at it, my mods require more QA than some Ubisoft games).

I am just annoyed at how this game was handled. They DO NOT learn from their (stupid) mistakes.

Sometimes, it is better not to apply similar ratios.

I used to doubt Bethesda's programming team. Now I know even I am better than them... and that is VERY sad (as I am terrible at it, my mods require more QA than some Ubisoft games).

I am just annoyed at how this game was handled. They DO NOT learn from their (stupid) mistakes.

Well their game was developed more or less simultaneously with TW3. I doubt they realized the impact TW3 would have on the gaming world. They will have to learn, adapt and grow, especially with all the high quality open-world AAA RPGS that came out in 2014-15.

They will have to learn or they will be very sorry. I'm looking at you TES VI. Please be a game like Skyrim that will suck out hundreds of hours of my life. Please.

Iirc, he's also on a 970. People with far more powerful systems still get inconsistent performance, so yes, this is the game's fault (or more precisely: that of that abysmal engine).

Hmm. Well maybe if I were to record/stream it it'd begin to slow down, but like I said, as of yet not seen any of what he was showing or what you've described.

Also about the engine; Skyrim always has run fine and this tweaked version doesn't seem to be much different, they just updated it to use PBR instead of older rendering methods, like most games do now - But with all that Skyrim money I'd assume they'd do a little more than just tweak it a little.

But from the sounds of it, it has been undercooked as a package. But as a whole I think I can say I am satisfied with the game I've got to play so far, vast and fun.

PS: Who is Lirc? - Some big Youtuber/Twitcher? I only really watch Robbaz.

---------- Updated at 09:29 PM ----------

970 here - frames going wildly from 25 when scoped, 40-45 in cities and sometimes in weirdly empty areas, otherwise 50-60. Game is not optimized well - which is weird cause Gamebryo runs on any toaster usually - maybe it's all the fancy lighting they added and forgot to change bits and pieces of their code.

Hmm. I'll put up a counter next time I play - But I have definitely not dropped low enough for it to be noticeable.

Yeah the optimisation could have been much better, bit shoddy as they could've improved textures if they didn't have all these issues with the console versions.

PBR is normally a better system, it's less heavy on the calculations and in most cases is just better than older rendering methods, the new lighting shouldn't be the blame.

@RitaLaux-Antille I use a 970 as well, and it runs smoothly most of the time. But there are times that it - without any logic or reason - goes down to 25-30 range, and recovers when I look at another direction and back. It's weird, and seems to be engine-related. Also yeah, noticing a few amount of bugs. Weird thing is I don't remember encountering this many bugs when I was playing Skyrim the first time, but people are saying the same thing about F4 too. I guess it's down to luck? :) No CTDs yet though, which I'm thankful for. But falling inside the terrain is not fun... When it happens multiple times, it's even worse... :)

So far so good though. If it didn't have Fallout in its name, or if it was the next Borderlands game or something, I'd easily give it a 8.5-9/10, maybe down to around 8 with all the bugs/glitches I'm encountering. But as an old Fallout fan, it really saddens me to see this franchise so freaking mainstreamed... Even the amount of text in the game decreased immensely. I have just seen a certain vault related to a school and just imagining the possibilities of the stories they could have told there makes me unhappy. Just for this much streamlining I am disappointed hugely, and would give it like 7/10 or something (which in no way means it's a bad game, like I said I'm enjoying it).

I use an R9 390 and the game just does not ... make it work so to say.

I have anywhere from 40 to 90 frames randomly, and the GPU is at speed 0... *sigh*

If I have to give Bethesda credit over something, it's how much they managed to improve the "urban exploration" in Fallout 4. I hated explroing the downtown of Washington DC in Fallout 3 since everything looked the same, there were huge ass walls blocking everything and in order to navigate around you constantly had to use the metro.

All of that is gone with Fallout 4 though, downtown boston is a lot of fun to explore, with bunch of unqiue landmarks, locations and buildings that also have interiors. Lots of verticality in play here where you can easily access the roofs of some of the buildings. In general it feels like absolute mayhem, there are raider fortifications everywhere, super mutants wandering around. When I was low level I actually was afraid of exploring since I would end up getting rekt. It's immersive to just explore the ruins at a rainy night, listening to 1950s radio, hearing BoS vertibirds flying around and gunfire booming in the distance. It's at moments like that when fallout 4 is really damn good.

Eventhough since gamebryo engine is literally shitting itself from the pressure, the framerate is awful :sleepy:

For people having performance issues
I don't know if you already tried this, but if not, you should give it a try:

Just to let you know that I fixed my performance issues. It was the game that was locked at 30 fps. Fixed it by changing iPresentInterval=1 to iPresentInterval=0 in the Fallout4Prefs.ini file (and I then forced the VSync through the NVIDIA control panel). Game runs like a charm in 4K (downsampling) now, but I still don't really enjoy it.

Welp, there's no denying the mod community for the game. FO4 already has 484 mods up on Nexus. It'll probably surpass TW3 in a few weeks, and this is all before Bethesda releases the modkit. I hope CDPR are watching this.

I think that there's simply more room for improvments and "freedom" in Bethesda games (by "freedom" I mean that their games are more sandbox and kind of "generic" games, even in the way they are technically built), and that they are much easier to mod, even without the official tools.

In my case at least, I know how to mod many things in Bethesda games, but I don't even know where I should start if I wanted to mod anything in The Witcher 3. But that's fine for me, as I don't really think that The Witcher 3 needs any mod, in my very personnal opinion of course. What it needs is more (small) patches (and hotfixes), and better quality testing before patch releases.

Last edited:
Welp, there's no denying the mod community for the game. FO4 already has 484 mods up on Nexus. It'll probably surpass TW3 in a few weeks, and this is all before Bethesda releases the modkit. I hope CDPR are watching this.

I already saw big Skyrim modders advertising for voice actor volunteers for Fallout 4 before it was even released so I'm not surprised.

It will probably not take weeks, there are already 541 FO4 mods in less than a week, and 795 for TW3.

Top Bottom