Female protagonist and what it could implies

+
@poet_and_gentleman - I don't know if you intended your post to be insulting or not, but it did come across that way. Please ensure that you take note of the forum rules, as given here, in the future.

@Captain Death. Inappropriate way of dealing with it. The report button is there for a reason.

Get back to non-personal discussion please, and that means no "Last Words".

Cool cool.

As to the rest of Poet's statement, Maybe I need to further clarify. I'm not so much suggesting people write this or other games to please one political demographic, and would never suggest such. I'd just prefer that those creating art had some understanding of it's potential impact on a wider audience, and acted with some small measure of compassion. Either that, or just not having every last AAA game made solely for the refined tastes and sensibilities of 14yo boys.

Personally, I'd like that more because I'm not one, rather than because others also find it offensive. However, there's more than one way to disinclude people from cultural phenomena. The biggest barrier in the old days was simply not allowing access. Nowadays, people try to make the environment or experience as unpleasant as possible for those who aren't wanted, then to blithely state "If you don't like it, leave.".

I fail to see that being a constructive way of making the world a less horrible place than you left it. I'm not a fan of any group that plays those sort of socially excluding shenanigans, be they feminists who don't want men involved in the discussion, or douchebag 14yo boys who make Xbox Live the home of homophobia.

Oh, and yes, I do have issues. So do you, and everyone else here. It's called "Being human".

@poet_and_gentleman - I don't know if you intended your post to be insulting or not, but it did come across that way.

How?

The guy said he had such a girlfriend several time as part of his argument. He even said she would leave me with scars(!) if she heard me. I thought he made the comment in a light-hearted manner.

I apologized (then promptly added him to my ignore list) even though no reasonable person would construe what I said as an insult.

it is very cheap to take offense after making such comments.

How?

The guy said he had such a girlfriend several time as part of his argument. He even said she would leave me with scars(!) if she heard me. I thought he made the comment in a light-hearted manner.

I apologized (then promptly added him to my ignore list) even though no reasonable person would construe what I said as an insult.

it is very cheap to take offense after making such comments.

It`s usually best to just "Let it go" and continue the discussion without taking anything personally . If you feel that someone in singling you out or making it a personal attack the please use the report button .

I should apologize for my previous post. It's just that I get riled up on politically correct style of commentary, but I don't think that's what Klirving was doing.

Apology accepted.

I've always admired your (completely natural) acquiescence to my utter righteousness. Wait - what was my position on this again? Obviously genius, whatever it was.

Always the same topics in forums - and often real life. You can see them coming a mile away. Generally we're better behaved than on other forums and sites allowing us to reasonably about talk politics, sexuality, religion and of course the ever controversial first or third person view choice. ITS THIRD I TELL YOU, HERETICS.

Certain people also enjoy having a mild fracas across the forums. Because we're here so much, it feels like home. It's not, or at least not just for us. Variety of posters = better conversations.
Just ask yourself if you're improving things or making them worse and if when you wake up tomorrow, you'll look at the post and go, "hmmm.....not my finest moment."

I often think that after 11 p.m. or so local time, you should get a bolded and embiggened clock above your Quick Reply button, as a reminder that you may be subject to late-night-posting-syndrome.

It`s usually best to just "Let it go" and continue the discussion without taking anything personally . If you feel that someone in singling you out or making it a personal attack the please use the report button .

I'm not offended it's just that I simply have not done anything wrong and I have to question why dragonbird decided to support Mr.Death's POV.I haven't said anything that could not be said in a college classroom setting.

It's not reasonable to expect that he won't be offended if he keeps bringing up his own personal life to use in support of his arguments.

especially if

1- he makes such statement about his ex-girlfriend himself. It's not clear whether his own comments are meant in a lighthearted manner or meant to simply evoke an unpleasant image in the reader(I originally thought it was the former and my own comments were made in that spirit)
2-I bring a valid point.

I said
Women and men are different and and different cultures have different roles for women. Political correctness brings mediocrity in art because it will show when you pander to an third party.The game should thus simply depict the situation honestly.

Paraphrased counter on his part:

"My girlfriend is extremely competent with violence. If would probably leave scars for saying what you just said?

therefore .... what?

I don't know what to say. It's just too surreal a situation to take offense, it is just plain bizarre argument on his part. The statement could even be humorous if Mr.Death would not take it so seriously. How in the world does that help his cause?

The guy takes an extreme feminist position which is way outside mainstream feminism, and a complete strawman that is "tailoring the game to 14 yo" (which no one supports or mentioned except him) and pretends he is a moderate.

His whole posts are full of euphemisms like "compassion" and contradictions like (paraphrased) "I am all for putting the story,immersion and gameplay first except when it comes to offending me and feminists" that sound exactly like those of a politician. Which one is it?

By his own admission, it would cause issues for him to have gameplay come before political issues.Sorry but it's a non-issue whatever he is going through or whatever his girlfriends think of the game.

As tragic as his current situation might be, gameplay and story must come first. Positive political ramifications have absolutly no relationship to positive gameplay.

3- the reaction to my comment denotes that the guy has serious anger and relationship issues and there was simply no way for me to know about them beforehand. The burden is on him to find way to handle his emotions, and that means having the maturity not to mention his ex girlfriend every 3-4 posts or painting poor Rhonda as a bully or a brute if that cause him that much grief.

My point is not that I am offended and that he started it. My point is that the debate has to be fair and honest. I did not think his original statement was particularly offensive (albeit his intent might have been different) and I do not think my response was offensive either.

If someone brings up a homeless uncle to denounce the capitalist system, it's only a matter of time before that uncle's spending habits and life story are put to the magnifying glass. If it is not allowed, then the nephew would win the argument by default simply because people don't want to offend his uncle!!!! That makes no sense.

I know that in Mr.Death's circles (most likely blue collar ones), there is far less openness about ideas and the value of honest debate then in others. In these circles , what is offensive is often arbitrary and set by people who throws tantrums as was demonstrated by our little exchange.

is that really the culture that as an internet forum, we want to adopt? I hope not.

Food for thought.

A post has been deleted. I would like to remind all forum members of the following rules:

1. Personal attacks and ad-hominem attacks against other members will not be tolerated.
2. If asked by a moderator to cease a specific line of discussion, it is expected that you cease.

Wow! I didn't mean to kick anyone's puppies. Just venturing an opinion on what I'd like as a, potentially, authentic female protagonist playthrough. I understand that opinions on that will differ.
I also don't believe for one second that I'll get even close to what I want in that regard. No disrespect to CDPR intended and yes I own both Witcher games, although I've only got part way through Chapter five in the first game so far, as I got annoyed with the never ending monster respawns and distracted by other shinies.
That's where I'm hoping that the early release of the modding tools will help fill niches. I'm more familiar with the Infinity Engine modding scene, mostly with playtesting and lots of proofreading, but I'd be willing to wrestle with, even if it means jumping in the deep end, the REDKit to create something in the Cyberpunk genre.
Hell, as long as CDPR don't push me into the Cyberpunk equivalent of a scantily clad, slutty, sorceress and her brief, but numerous, fake lesbian encounters in the mean streets of Night City I'll be happy. :). Is that really too much to ask for?

CDPR can write interesting female characters. Without a doubt, they are my favorite, to the point that I was actually hoping '77 would have a fixed female protagonist. But I'm happy with the blank slate approach as well.

No worry, it wasn't anything you did. Although if you start kicking puppies that may change... :)
Heh. No I'll never kick puppies deliberately, although if 12 of them gang you and start chewing your shoelaces and licking your ears it can be difficult to get out of the scrum without some shoving. :) My mother bred dogs and I was practically raised by Irish Setters.

*kicks puppy*. Muwahahahahahah! BRING ME MOAR FOOD PUPPIES. I HUNGER.

"Hell, as long as CDPR don't push me into the Cyberpunk equivalent of a scantily clad, slutty, sorceress and her brief, but numerous, fake lesbian encounters in the mean streets of Night City I'll be happy."

I...can't help but enjoy the image that creates. I feel bad now.

*kicks puppy*. Muwahahahahahah! BRING ME MOAR FOOD PUPPIES. I HUNGER.

"Hell, as long as CDPR don't push me into the Cyberpunk equivalent of a scantily clad, slutty, sorceress and her brief, but numerous, fake lesbian encounters in the mean streets of Night City I'll be happy."

I...can't help but enjoy the image that creates. I feel bad now.

I can't help but confess that'll be my canon character. :p

AIYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! So..many....so MUCH HAIR SO MANY TAILS

Oh god..now reading post above...

Combining with image of naked fake lesbian Slimgrin into unholy melding...

NoooOOO!

*brainsplat*

Top Bottom