Foltest needs to be nerfed hard next patch

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
And nerf Demavend also, in fact, every single order card, just killed it the very moment they touch the board. Or even better, make a new card called "Tears of Foltest" that decrease by one the damage and health of each NR card. Like an auto nerf the players can do to themselves.

Remove Gaunter from the game too so big Woodlands players can stop playing a Ghoul right after Speartip gets banished from the Gwentiverse.

rrc

Forum veteran
Remove Gaunter from the game too so big Woodlands players can stop playing a Ghoul right after Speartip gets banished from the Gwentiverse.
Thanks Restlessdingo! I hadn't realised that GOD will make Speartip banish (and not allowing to be consumed later). I usually leave that card as is (when it gets played in R1 or R2) thinking that I will deal with it in R3. GOD is then the best counter for Monsters, is it?!

BTW, I started to try Foltest and my Foltest is eating Big Monsters :p With Eyke, GOD, Seltkirk readily available, Foltest is pretty damn powerful against Big Monsters.

Thanks Restlessdingo! I hadn't realised that GOD will make Speartip banish (and not allowing to be consumed later). I usually leave that card as is (when it gets played in R1 or R2) thinking that I will deal with it in R3. GOD is then the best counter for Monsters, is it?!

BTW, I started to try Foltest and my Foltest is eating Big Monsters :p With Eyke, GOD, Seltkirk readily available, Foltest is pretty damn powerful against Big Monsters.

Yeah, I was confused when it happened. It's probably a good idea to try and burn Speartip with Incantation vs Foltest.

Honestly, Yrden is probably the best counter to big MS. Ghouls are melee locked so there is a guaranteed 2 resets if you draw it when both Ghouls are still in play. Incantation is also melee locked. To add insult to injury it can hit Thrive units if they're on the same row. Throw movement in and you can snag Ozzrel too. Gaunter is also quite good though.

Scorch might be considered but it's now... 14 provisions. Not sure I'd bother with it or Gigni unless you can reliably get line-ups. Not sure I'd even bother with Gigni now without movement either.... 20 pts on a row is rather steep vs any non-buff deck. Professional, Geralt, Eyck, etc. are valid as well. I haven't used Eyck yet because I didn't bother with TB and don't have 3.2k scraps. Keep forgetting to save them :).

I find you typically need at least two answers vs big MS or one universal answer like Yrden as control. Otherwise it's too many points. Obviously taking R1 is important but not necessary if you run a card like Yrden. Big MS likes to be greedy and push for a 2-0 and unless they can take R1 without using many big units Yrden is insane vs GY consumes. Assuming you draw it of course....

3 times zeal + some cards that add up to the zeal counter...with a bit of luck all of his engines become 'deploy' cards.
It's kind of OP with the right hand, but a lot of things are.
I've had crushing victories vs the most popular Foltest decks, beating him with 40+ points difference, and I have losses vs more or less the same deck... all due to hand RNG.
Just embrace the fact that this game requires close to zero skill at the moment thanks to the prevalence of RNGesus.

My short two cents:

The strongest cards (for example Gaunter, Eyk, Saesenthessis: Blaze) got orders so that the opponent has a chance to lock or remove them before they execute (for balance).

Then a leader (Foltest) is created who gives zeal in the same turn that these cards are played. That's way OP. Foltest needs different abilities.

...The strongest cards (for example Gaunter, Eyk, Saesenthessis: Blaze)… ...Foltest needs different abilities.

What about Schirrú for example? Why no possibility to counter him as well? He can happily wipe out whole NR deck off the board, if no artifact removals available.. Card strength is almost always situational- if there is no big target on the board, Gaunter is useless. Seltkirk without zeal is for decorative purposes only, can be countered by every second card.

Do not think Foltest needs different abilities, as correctly stated before- this is by no means dominant leader.. He is strong against certain decks, but is by no means auto-win.

What about Schirrú for example? Why no possibility to counter him as well? He can happily wipe out whole NR deck off the board, if no artifact removals available.. Card strength is almost always situational- if there is no big target on the board, Gaunter is useless. Seltkirk without zeal is for decorative purposes only, can be countered by every second card.

Do not think Foltest needs different abilities, as correctly stated before- this is by no means dominant leader.. He is strong against certain decks, but is by no means auto-win.

The root cause of Schirru's problem is not Shirru, but the artifacts that ping up and down.

As I mentioned above, some really strong cards have orders so that you may counter them. There is no counter for Foltest's ability to give zeal in the same turn that a card is played, like there is with cards that have an order to give zeal (like Ves). Therefore Foltest's ability is OP with these cards. Limit his ability to bronze cards and let him give a charge and zeal for example.

The root cause of Schirru's problem is not Shirru, but the artifacts that ping up and down.

Schirru is a powerful card because Schirru is a powerful card. He doesn't need artifacts to generate extremely high value. He doesn't even particularly need a lot of elves to do it either. Hell, you could play him with any ST leader and with the right build get extremely high value from him.

As I mentioned above, some really strong cards have orders so that you may counter them.

Eyck: 8 provisions. Deploy: If you have a Dragon in in your hand, gain Zeal. Order: Destroy a unit with 8 or more power.

Geralt of Rivia: 10 provisions. Deploy: Destroy a unit with 8 or more power.

Leo Bonhart: 10 provisions. Deploy, Melee: Destroy a unit with 8 or more power. Deploy, Ranged: Destroy a Witcher.

Note the difference for these cards. Yes, Eyck is cheaper and has a conditional Zeal ability. Yes, Foltest can provide Eyck with Zeal. Geralt and Leo, on the other hand, are on deploy. Hence the reason Eyck costs 2 fewer provisions.

I can make the same arguments for pretty much every order card. There are deploy alternatives available. The difference is those deploy cards typically cost more provisions. Why? Because they're on deploy.

Any ideas what would happen if there were no way to provide these powerful order cards with Zeal? Play Foltest and you'll find out.

I am amazed that people complains about NR, I guess that when you play SK and Big monsters, and a Foltest player manages to scratch a win agaisnt you, there must be something wrong and a nerf ask must be done in the forums.

I am amazed that people complains about NR, I guess that when you play SK and Big monsters, and a Foltest player manages to scratch a win agaisnt you, there must be something wrong and a nerf ask must be done in the forums.

Always. Skellige and Monsters deserve their wins - they are tier 1 decks.

Stating the obvious as the cards that are given zeal by Foltest are of course used for removing large units.

Schirru is a powerful card because Schirru is a powerful card. He doesn't need artifacts to generate extremely high value. He doesn't even particularly need a lot of elves to do it either. Hell, you could play him with any ST leader and with the right build get extremely high value from him.

Fully agree, Schirru is already very strong and with artifacts pinging and lining up units, he becomes OP. Having artifacts stick for pinging is too easy right now.

Eyck: 8 provisions. Deploy: If you have a Dragon in in your hand, gain Zeal. Order: Destroy a unit with 8 or more power.

Geralt of Rivia: 10 provisions. Deploy: Destroy a unit with 8 or more power.

Leo Bonhart: 10 provisions. Deploy, Melee: Destroy a unit with 8 or more power. Deploy, Ranged: Destroy a Witcher.

Note the difference for these cards. Yes, Eyck is cheaper and has a conditional Zeal ability. Yes, Foltest can provide Eyck with Zeal. Geralt and Leo, on the other hand, are on deploy. Hence the reason Eyck costs 2 fewer provisions.

I can make the same arguments for pretty much every order card. There are deploy alternatives available. The difference is those deploy cards typically cost more provisions. Why? Because they're on deploy.

Any ideas what would happen if there were no way to provide these powerful order cards with Zeal? Play Foltest and you'll find out.

Maybe my problem is not with the zeal from Foltest. Maybe it is with cards that simply "destroy". I don't like the binary nature of that. And that also explains why I don't like Geralt of Rivia and Leo Bonhart. Let these cards do high damage (10 or something), but not limitless damage. And then on the other side, Geralt of Rivia loses 1:1 vs a 4 strength card. That makes no sense.

Maybe my problem is not with the zeal from Foltest.

That is conclusion I can agree with :)

Maybe it is with cards that simply "destroy". I don't like the binary nature of that.

Not sure if I can agree with this. Now, these cards are conditional removals at least (i.e. binary). Against many decks, completely useless. Doing 10 dmg makes them even more controversial from my point of view, as they can be used always and become unary (i.e. if True).. Why is this better? I think you see this only from perspective of having huge units on the board. In any other scenario, suggested change would be much worse. Not to mention poor Adda, any of these cards would be much stronger as she is now ;)

Maybe my problem is not with the zeal from Foltest. Maybe it is with cards that simply "destroy". I don't like the binary nature of that. And that also explains why I don't like Geralt of Rivia and Leo Bonhart. Let these cards do high damage (10 or something), but not limitless damage. And then on the other side, Geralt of Rivia loses 1:1 vs a 4 strength card. That makes no sense.

Well, there I might agree with you. The underlying point is it's unfair to single out Foltest. If those order cards Foltest relies on are overpowered so are the deploy cards. If anything the deploy versions are stronger because they're not hamstrung by orders.

Part of the problem is what happens when a lot of cards aren't removed. They often snowball a round. Many engines can take a round by themselves if they manage to stick. Worse yet, you can pair such cards with Promote 2.0. If you lack an answer to point-slam and aren't running it yourself good luck keeping pace without big removals/resets.

Lastly, throwing Speartip on a board isn't exactly... involved. Nor is consuming him with an 8 provision Ghoul for 14 value. Or putting him into your GY with Incantation for 11 provisions and 16 value so you can eat him with the 8 provision Ghoul to get 14 value. Seltkirk at 12 value for 9p as an orders card is hardly a problem in comparison. Especially since it requires using a charge from 3 pt Foltest.

Stating the obvious as the cards that are given zeal by Foltest are of course used for removing large units.

Fully agree, Schirru is already very strong and with artifacts pinging and lining up units, he becomes OP. Having artifacts stick for pinging is too easy right now.

Could it be that Gwent is the first CCG you played?

rrc

Forum veteran
In the Global Top 10, Six are from NR, Two are from Monsters, One SC and One NG. I am pretty sure out of the 6 NR, at least 4 are with Foltest. I had already mentioned that Foltest should be considered as one of the strongest leaders in the game. But changing anything about him (reducing Mulligan or reducing the charges) will make him super weak. So, lets just assume that Foltest is a Tier 1 deck on par with Monsters. But I wouldn't say he is broken. Like RestlessDingo mentioned, he as a leader only gives +3 on board. There is a NR bronze (Drummer), Ves, and the Artifact who can give Zeal too.

I tried Foltest with a Tamerian Infantry (and 2 shields) and the Usual Suspects (GOD, Seltkirk, Eyck, Sasanthesis Blaze) and I beat Big Monsters almost every single time (at least 8 out of 10 times) at Rank 13. But I get may back kicked by many other decks. I am very new NR player in HC (but the most loyal NR player in W3; only played NR the entire time), and I find Foltest very interesting and powerful.

Not sure if I can agree with this. Now, these cards are conditional removals at least (i.e. binary). Against many decks, completely useless. Doing 10 dmg makes them even more controversial from my point of view, as they can be used always and become unary (i.e. if True).. Why is this better? I think you see this only from perspective of having huge units on the board. In any other scenario, suggested change would be much worse. Not to mention poor Adda, any of these cards would be much stronger as she is now ;)

Well, when it comes to Adda, I would appreciate an animation for her to change into a Striga before she deals 8 damage :cool:

As you mentioned, these cards are now useless against many decks (that play low strength units only). To me, it's more fun when you can always use your cards at least a little. The difference is then made by having the better counter if Geralt does max 10 damage (Geralt doing 10 damage to a 15 strength unit vs Geralt doing 3 damage to a 3 strength unit) instead of having no counter (Geralt doing no damage to a 3 strength unit).

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I tried Foltest with a Tamerian Infantry (and 2 shields) and the Usual Suspects (GOD, Seltkirk, Eyck, Sasanthesis Blaze) and I beat Big Monsters almost every single time (at least 8 out of 10 times) at Rank 13. But I get may back kicked by many other decks. I am very new NR player in HC (but the most loyal NR player in W3; only played NR the entire time), and I find Foltest very interesting and powerful.

Might be because big MS is effectively a point slam (big units, GY consumes) and engine deck (Thrive). Foltest is typically an engine/removal deck, engine/buff deck or some combination of both. The engine aspect is the relevant part. Big MS doesn't tend to rely on much in the way of removal or control, although it does have some of those options available to it. Engine decks tend to thrive against limited removal/control. So it's no surprise Foltest fairs well against big MS. Particularly because you can be a bit more conservative with Foltest charges.

Foltest vs control/removal decks or artifact spam is another matter... There it turns into dodge ball and picking which cards are going to take one for the team :).

Well, good point with Adda :D It will be motivation to at least give her a try in casual..

I see what you mean, but I always liked engine-heavy decks profiting from (potentially lot of) units on the board. Such versatile removals are completely killing these decks. There is just no way how to hide or protect your key engines, very much reminding me viper witchers in good (?) old times- 2*3(+1) mega strong removals able to get rid of anything that smells of engine.. I understand your point, but I would rather see situational cards as too many omnipotent board cleaners to explain mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom