Future modding cdpr games

+
future modding cdpr games

Witcher New saga and Cyberpunk siquel

Given that all games will be on ue5, which has a lot of people and documentation, I think the future of modding cdpr games may reach fallout/skyrim scales, but we don't yet know if modding will evolve faster or not.

Just as we know the Traderain rfuzzo team was taken to help in terms of modding cdpr games, I hope that they will get early builds of games so that we get the tools at the start or in six months / year, I think so

Hopefully they will get early access to start making tools, in which case we can get the official tools already on release or after a while, rather than
waiting a few years to get the tools.

And what do you think about the future of modding when switching to ue5, will it develop faster or are there concerns?
Post automatically merged:

As one person told me that we don't need third-party tools at all since everything we need and even more is already in ue5, since the new games will be on ue5, we can just download the engine, make weapons, animations, And the other thing, but I think we won't be able to do this, I don't know games that support mods on ue4/5, do you think we need tools from the community or do we just need to download the engine and do everything there and transfer to the game?

I think the future of modding cdpr games may reach fallout/skyrim scales
Just guesses, because I'm not a modder nor a dev and I have little knowledge :)
But it seem very unlikely to me that any game (whatever the studio) can ever reach the level of modding of Bethesda games. Mainly due to the fact that Bethesda seem to devellop their games with modding as important goal.
As one person told me that we don't need third-party tools at all since everything we need and even more is already in ue5, since the new games will be on ue5, we can just download the engine, make weapons, animations, And the other thing, but I think we won't be able to do this, I don't know games that support mods on ue4/5, do you think we need tools from the community or do we just need to download the engine and do everything there and transfer to the game?
As far as I understand, unlike some other studios which simply "use" Unreal Engine, CDPR will work together with Epic. So there are chances that there will be features/functions/things present in the Unreal Engine version that CDPR will "use" for their games which won't be available in the "base" Unreal Engine version.
I'm pretty confident that it would be easier to mod their games under Unreal Engine than on Red Engine. But we will see :)

Just guesses, because I'm not a modder nor a dev and I have little knowledge :)
But it seem very unlikely to me that any game (whatever the studio) can ever reach the level of modding of Bethesda games. Mainly due to the fact that Bethesda seem to devellop their games with modding as important goal.

As far as I understand, unlike some other studios which simply "use" Unreal Engine, CDPR will work together with Epic. So there are chances that there will be features/functions/things present in the Unreal Engine version that CDPR will "use" for their games which won't be available in the "base" Unreal Engine version.
I'm pretty confident that it would be easier to mod their games under Unreal Engine than on Red Engine. But we will see :)
Some valid point there, most studios that use UE probably has some own made addons or third party addons too the engine(thats not availeble too everyone). I do mod for example the Pathfinder games a bit (unity engine so not exactly the same, but another "open" engine), i generally add more character portraits witch is very easy since the game is made so you can do that. Just copy/paste the pictures into a folder. The other mods you have too have a unity mods program too install that integrates into the engine. Guess it depends on how they make it.

Also the engine wont be enough too make everything i think, need textures and so on too and im not sure how they will make animations and other stuff. Will be interesting too see what they come up with in terms of modding.

As one person told me that we don't need third-party tools at all since everything we need and even more is already in ue5.
Whoever told you that, is a liar. To create a story-driven RPG they need to have a "Quest Graph" and a "Dialogue Editor" which UE5 doesn't have it, and CDPR has to develop it themselves. Since RPGs can sometimes have more than 70 hours of content with many choices, then the "Dialogue editor" is an essential tool. How else they are gonna make the interactive cutscenes?? (No, they can't use motion capture for all of the cutscenes, It would cost simply too much. They can however make a library of motion captured animations, this is what they did for some of the animations in cyberpunk. I recommend you watch this video, you'll understand what I'm saying:

UE5 doesn't necessarily have everything from the get-go as @DonLuzolvaz said.

This is a partnership, not a regular licensing deal, the whole point is that both parties get stronger from it. CDPR gets access to one of the best engines around with full support from it's developers and, I have no doubt, their own expertise in certain types of gameplay. Meanwhile Epic gets CDPR's expertise at creating RPGs which can be added to UE5 and it's future iterations.

With that said, there is most likely nothing stopping CDPR from adding any number of third party software they deem better suited for the task at hand. Like JALI for example. While UE5 is a graphical powerhouse, it's not perfect and JALI delivers better facial animations and expressions than what UE5 is capable of right out the gate. CDPR could very well choose to license and integrate JALI to their next games and, as of today, no one knows how available that'll be to modders if at all.

Furthermore, and as @LeKill3rFou touched on, no one can just suddenly release a game that's on par with what Bethesda does for mods. The simple fact is Bethesda has been at this for over two decades. That's two decades worth of experience in how to make mod integration as user-friendly and stable as possible. I know a lot of people around here like to constantly shit on Bethesda but it is no small feat to accomplish. Just like Bethesda, any other studio would most likely have to go through years of progressive iterations to eventually get to a point where it's on par with Bethesda's current level.

So, no, I don't believe we'll get something on par with what Bethesda does with their next projects just because of UE5. If that is one of CDPR's goals, it'll most likely take quite a few projects to get close to that.

The modding opions at current CP'77 level would be enough for me. The possibility to modify and/or add to an (offline single player) game in this way is, in my humble opinion, a very important argument for the longevity of a product. Too important to be ignored from CD-Project's point of view. Therefore I wish that this aspect is already considered during the development.

Well, now that CDPR has switched over to Unreal for future titles, I think it may be more possible to create modding options and tools that are much more user-friendly. Simple reality is that REDengine was not that conducive to modding. It's perfectly possible, as we can see, but it's still miles and miles away from engines specifically coded to be used for modding, like Bethesda's.

Well, now that CDPR has switched over to Unreal for future titles, I think it may be more possible to create modding options and tools that are much more user-friendly. Simple reality is that REDengine was not that conducive to modding. It's perfectly possible, as we can see, but it's still miles and miles away from engines specifically coded to be used for modding, like Bethesda's.
Yeah, I really don't like how most mods are replacing items in CP2077 rather than adding them. Seems no modder has figured out how to replace the shadows cast by replaced items yet. Most people might not be bothered by it but it always irks me when I see my V's shadow and it has a completely different hairstyle for example.

Yeah, I really don't like how most mods are replacing items in CP2077 rather than adding them. Seems no modder has figured out how to replace the shadows cast by replaced items yet. Most people might not be bothered by it but it always irks me when I see my V's shadow and it has a completely different hairstyle for example.

And they most likely won't figure it out either. The truth is that the tools available are so limited that A lot of things people want or want to create/modify/add is just impossible to achieve at the moment.

How about playing and judging a game without mods at all?

it’s kinda funny in my (mmo)rpg discord channels are a lot of people who can‘t play or judge a game on its core without mods anymore - similar to this forum.

it’s kinda funny in my (mmo)rpg discord channels are a lot of people who can‘t play or judge a game on its core without mods anymore - similar to this forum.
Can only answer for myself but it depends on the game. Most games i play with very few mods or none but some games are just better with them. Especially games with bugs that dont get fixed or tweeks too dumb gameplay or changes too gameplay. Mostly its gfx changes for me tho, light changes lighting or similar because im not happy with the original.

MMOS generaly dont support mods tho, weird that your seeing it in a mmorpg channel. Could they be talking about addons? Seen people get banned for changing gamefiles in mmos before -.-

MMOS generaly dont support mods tho, weird that your seeing it in a mmorpg channel. Could they be talking about addons? Seen people get banned for changing gamefiles in mmos before -.-

It really depends on the MMO. For example, FFXIV is somewhat mod-friendly and Square Enix doesn't mind mods as long as you're not cheating and you keep it to yourself. Don't advertise your mods and nothing will happen. I've found that to be true for most MMOs in fact.

About the whole "play/judge without mods" thing. What does it matter how others enjoy their game if it doesn't affect you?

Last edited:

I judged the game through multiple playthroughs, love it overall and there are things I don't like. If they were corrected in mods that were available for consoles I would be playing the game in a manner that would make me enjoy it more; not to judge it in a different way

It really depends on the MMO. For example, FFXIV is somewhat mod-friendly and Square Enix doesn't mind mods as long as you're not cheating and you keep it to yourself. Don't advertise your mods and nothing will happen. I've found that to be true for most MMOs in fact.

About the whole "play/judge without mods" thing. What does it matter how others enjoy their game if it doesn't affect you?
Hehe forgot about FF14 ^^ Perhaps it has gotten more support since last i played MMOs. I hade a friend get banned in Wow for changing the Undead model too the chinese ud model to get rid of the bones sticking out. Things might have changed tho.

adding support mods on UE5 mostly works that way

now , even UE5 support modding features , its all about how CDPR let modify/add features for their next game , and if they want modd as friendly for community , if they'll build a proper workflow for modding .

Top Bottom