+
Hello Everyone,

I recently built a new PC, these are the specs:

Windows 10 Pro
AMD Radeon 6800XT
SE+Ryzen 9 5900X
Asus B550-E
32 GB Ram

The game freezes for a few seconds and then crashes to desktop fairly quickly. It usually crashes during the loading screen, just about when the gameworld is going to show up. Sometimes i can load it for a few seconds before it crashes. It crashes on all graphic settings. The report sais the following:

Error reason: AssertExpression: <Unknown>Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.File: E:\R6.Release\dev\src\common\gpuApi\src\dx12\gpuApiDX12Error.cpp(42)

I've tried running other games to see if my hardware is faulty, there are no issues whatsoever with other games that I could try. I also did this benchmark test:

I did a memtest86 for the RAM and it found no errors.

Ive reinstalled my GPU drivers, cleaned up and reinstalled them and verified my files via Steam. Ive installed all the DX12 and Visual C Runtimes i could find, though that part was a bit confusing...

I've watched my temperatures during the crash and CPU + GPU were at 40°C, so those dont seem to be the issue.

Anyone got any ideas? Anything else I could share/test/post?

Help would really be appreciated!

My CPU and GPU are running on unchanged standard mode, havent touched them.

For the Ram i edited a setting in BIOS so that they would run at the correct frequency. They are supposed to run at 3200 MHz, but ran at 2000something so a tech friend of mine told me how to change that in the BIOS.

Ive tried running the game without that BIOS edit to the RAM, but it still crashed with the same error.

Ok :(
Found some thread, maybe unrelated but :
I think I fixed it.
If you have GPU tweak software, Like MSI Dragon Centre set the GPU to Silent or Low Profile or something like that.
I went back on my save with 40h and before Silent profile, it would spit out gpuApiDX12Error.cpp(42). Now it runs fine
Anyway, if it's not already done, I suggest to be sure that you tried all of these steps and then to directly send a ticket to the support for help ("Contact Us" button, with DxDiag and as many details as possible).

Thank you for posting! I did forget to mention in the original post, but i did already try setting my GPU to "silent" mode in the AMD Adernaline Utility Software, thing, still crashed with the same error.

Ive contaced the support (this issue has been keeping me on edge lol) and am waiting for a reply. I posted here in the hopes that maybe someone delt with something similiar and can help me

Did you run any kind of OC on your GPU/CPU/RAM ?
The overclocks on the GPU are now reported through the windows log, if for example the driver crashes due to unstable overclocking in the message log you will have something similar based on the gpu you have (turingOC or ampereOC, depending on the card you have, it is not reported the factory overclock if you have a custom gpu, so if it comes out of production with an unstable factory overclock you will not find out through the logs, as they are highlighted only by third-party tools, for example afterburner, gpu tweak etc).

that'd be this, i assume

But i really dont know what i'm looking at or what im looking for :D

Attachments

• 1668436431389.png
    1668436431389.png
    131 KB · Views: 197
that'd be this, i assume

But i really dont know what i'm looking at or what im looking for :D
In fact, both are AMD RX 6800 XT, but
The first one is a "standard" RX 6800 XT, with all specs from AMD
The second is a factory customized RX 6800 XT by Sapphire, which offer better cooling and most probably an overclock, to increase the performance.

Great, does that mean that this GPU is just incompatible with Cyberpunk2077 or is there some switch i can tick to turn it all off?

Great, does that mean that this GPU is just incompatible with Cyberpunk2077 or is there some switch i can tick to turn it all off?
Not imcompatible and I can't affirme that it's all due to the OC, but Cyberpunk is "famously" sensitive to any kind of OC.
I think (not sure) that you should be able to adjust the clock rate with app like AMD one:

Just found that (can't affirm it's totally correct), but crossed value are "base" value of a RX 6800 XT, and displayed value are the ones of a Sapphire RX 6800 XT.
Sapphire.jpg

No its not incompatible but it might end up crashing due too the slight overclock. To get it too "stock" clocks you would have too underclock the card with some software, for example msi afterburner (or the one @LeKill3rFou linked) seems your card is overclocked 5%, around 105 mhz from the factory. This might not be the issue tho just too be clear.

Thank you guys so much for taking your time to help me!

I am entirely unfamiliar with over or underclocking hardware- the scary warnings usually make me turn around. So just to be sure, if I go to my AMD settings and change the Max Frequency % by -5% that might fix it and is also unlikely to make my GPU break?

1668442348613.png

Thank you guys so much for taking your time to help me!

I am entirely unfamiliar with over or underclocking hardware- the scary warnings usually make me turn around. So just to be sure, if I go to my AMD settings and change the Max Frequency % by -5% that might fix it and is also unlikely to make my GPU break?

View attachment 11329631

It isn't really possible to damage your GPU by under clocking. You're basically throwing less power at your GPU than what it is capable of handling.

I've tried limiting the Max Frequency to 95 and 90% and kept getting the same crashes.

I've also received an Email from cdpr support suggesting a clean reinstall of the game, did that- also didnt help.

Anyone got any more ideas? What could possibly cause this?

I've also received an Email from cdpr support suggesting a clean reinstall of the game, did that- also didnt help.
If you didn't, answer to the support including everything that you already tried and also the link of the thread ;)
(to avoid anything that you already tried)
Personally, I run out of idea, sadly (I'll take a look here and there, I'll post if I find something).

I've tried limiting the Max Frequency to 95 and 90% and kept getting the same crashes.

Well, a quick Google search for your exact message revealed plenty of various possibilities for why it's happening and how to fix it. Everything from basic stuff life mods to almost impossible to guess incompatibilities with background processes. I assume you already did that but if you haven't, copy paste your message in Google. There just too many of them to link 'em all here.

Throw in a DXdiag in your answer to CDPR too if you haven't already. They could see something to help you.

Well, a quick Google search for your exact message revealed plenty of various possibilities for why it's happening and how to fix it. Everything from basic stuff life mods to almost impossible to guess incompatibilities with background processes. I assume you already did that but if you haven't, copy paste your message in Google. There just too many of them to link 'em all here.

Throw in a DXdiag in your answer to CDPR too if you haven't already. They could see something to help you.
Yea sadly its hard too diagnose these issues without "seeing" it in real time and with access too everything.
Did you reinstall the driver with DDU? exit everything you have on in the background and test too start the game, see if its different. Everytime i got this crash it was my OC on the gfx card that caused it so im unsure what else it could be. Is the Pci-e running at 4.0 x16?

You have a ryzen cpu, your not running CTR2.1 and "ocing" the cpu right? ive hade issues with that.. Overlays can cause crashes disable every overlay (even steam and xbox game bar)

Well, got no mods installed. Its a compltely fresh PC so nothing running in the background except AMDs Driver Utility thingy (with in game overlay turned off, as well as all other AMD functions thatd touch the game directiy).

I've listed all the things I've tried, I ll summarize again:

Running on lowest possible graphics settings
Running GPU on "silent" mode
Limiting FPS to 77
Reinstalled GPU drivers, using AMDs cleanup Utility
Did a Memtest86 for my RAM, no Errors
Reverted the BIOS change to RAM frequency
Did a fresh reinstall of the game according to cdprs instructions
Turned off all Overlays
Tested my GPU and Temperatures on other games, GPU seems to function perfectly normal
Reduced the GPU Max Clock Frequency to 90 and 95%
Tried with the "Recommended" and "Optional" AMD GPU driver (optional is newer)
Changed the PCIE thingy in Bios to run on 3.0 instead of 4.0

propably forgot something too...

Yea sadly its hard too diagnose these issues without "seeing" it in real time and with access too everything.

Did you reinstall the driver with DDU? exit everything you have on in the background and test too start the game, see if its different. Everytime i got this crash it was my OC on the gfx card that caused it so im unsure what else it could be. Is the Pci-e running at 4.0 x16?

You have a ryzen cpu, your not running CTR2.1 and "ocing" the cpu right? ive hade issues with that.. Overlays can cause crashes disable every overlay (even steam and xbox game bar)

I've used AMDs tool for driver cleanups before reinstalling it. It isn't DDU but i think it serves the same purpose. Got pretty much nothing running in the background, its a completely fresh PC so only Steam, some Windows Processes and Drivers. All Overlays disabled, Steam, AMD and Xbox game bar.

I've checked in the BIOS and the PcI-e was set to "Auto" and i changed it to Gen 3.0 to see if that changed anything. I'm not sure if that was the right place to change that setting though. Im using an Asus Motherboard (ROG B550-E). It didnt change anything.

If there is any information i can provide to shine light on the issue, let me know. I sat through 90 Minutes of memtest for my RAM im willing to do whatever it takes ( short of selling my kidneys ofc).

Last edited:
Top Bottom