Gameplay choices vs. story consequences and problems with ludonarrative dissonance.

+
I didn't say it was hard, just costly with little to no economic benefit.
Cost is a difficulty.

You can't say it's too hard and then when countered by a statement that it isn't then try and hang up on a partial aspect.

At the end of the day, it's neither technically or monetarily difficult to do what OP wants at a basic level.

Extra additions to flesh out such things? Sure, they will cost resources. But at a base level it is not difficult in any way.
Let's explore the heist for example. As you escape the hotel you are required to take out several drones following you. OP is suggesting because he opted for melee, that scene should include a scripted option for melee combat.
Lets explore actually reading.

OP isn't dead set on every single scene must cater to players specific weapons. Just that scenes where a weapon is forced upon them, it is narratively coherent as to why that is the case.

In the case of The Heist. It makes no sense to be locked to only the pistol (Nor does it make sense for you to stash a pistol in that compartment when exiting the vehicle if you are not currently equipped with that pistol - Ignoring the fact that Jackie still brings his La Chingona Doradas with him throughout the mission making the entire narrative decision of not bringing your weapons redundant).

Why couldn't V use one of the AR/SMG's they looted from one of the guards? Or the knife they can throw and magically teleport back to their hand obtained from Saburo? Or given they just got back into the vehicle where they stashed their weapons... Use their weapons? Or better yet... Delamain's Combat Mode actually doing something and using the mounted missile launcher that is integrated into the vehicle?

Yet later in the same mission, when V's in the car with Takemura, it makes sense to not have any weapons. It makes sense you only have the single pistol Takemura gives you. It makes sense your quickhacks won't function. Since the narrative is he's just pulled your ex-corpse out of the garbage and hands you a pistol.

Would it be nice for people like OP to be able to use their melee weapons in their melee builds for these scenes? Sure. But that's not necessary for the basic narrative coherency. That's just gravy that developers can add in if they have the resources and inclination to do so.

Though, there's also the secondary point where these sort of scripted scenes aren't particularly important to the narrative in the first place. Shooting down the drones is irrelevant to the story... So why include it in the first place?

Why not just have Delamain drive through some back alleys and lose the drones or send out some hack that disrupts their target lock or something?

Why have V shoot at some completely janky Arasaka ninjas? Why not simply have Takemura drive, try to evade them and crash while V fights to maintain consciousness? (You know, like what happens to a couple of the bikers including the one that jumps onto the car which you can't do anything to even if shooting anyway?)

This is one of my personal gripes about these scenes. They're entirely unecessary in the first place. Let alone the fact that they are then poorly done with a scripted weapon and lack of build inclusion besides whatever Pistol perks you have.

It's actually less costly (Both monetarily and technically) to not add in these poorly done, unncessary "Interactive" scenes than it is to simply make a non-interactive (Or less interactive in the case that you can still look around and/or have a couple of dialogue options) scene that doesn't create narrative inconsistency between gameplay and these story points.

If I play the Witcher 3 and a particular part of the story requires me to craft and use a bomb or crossbow, no matter how much I dislike and do not use them....well I'm going to have to for this quest.
I mean, this is missing the point really, it's not that I dislike taking part in it, it's that the game has given me choice and then snatched it away from me in an instant without adequate narrative explanation.

I totally get that there are costs and time constraints, perhaps it's a big ask, but I kinda believe that if anyone can get this kind of thing right it's CDPR. I genuinely believe stuff like this helps with immersion (for those of us who care about it). It would be nice to see games that give you choice honouring those choices when it makes sense to do so in character.

Let's explore the heist for example. As you escape the hotel you are required to take out several drones following you. OP is suggesting because he opted for melee, that scene should include a scripted option for melee combat. Sure, it is possible but how feasible is it to script a secondary or tertiary scene (depending on what other players feels they should have, this could be several) for such a sequence that has very little impact on the overall story.
I guess I'm more concerned about the narrative fluidity. It's been a while since I played the main game, but I think in some of these chase sequences (but not all) I could just ignore the pursuers, and they'd eventually crash. So every time they forced a weapon into my hand, my reaction was just to do nothing, and I wasn't usually punished for it xD. So in instances like this it would just be nice to have someone toss you a weapon, maybe throw in some fun dialogue about how the character doesn't normally use guns and doubts their ability to aim straight and then just let the player miss everything. This solves the non-lethal approach too.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident the talented folks at CDPR could come up with a solution far better than any of ours, as long as they prioritise it in the first place (which is what I want to achieve with this thread really).

Last edited:
Ugh, just did the Gig: Desperate Measures. I've got an Iconic 5++ Gujiroh with all the Smart Weapon Perks and 20 Int.

But for some reason CDPR decided I should only be allowed to shoot a... I think a T1 Unity? You know, that I don't even have in inventory, let alone equipped. Oh, and I can't target the vehicles with QH's because... reasons?

I mean, they can't even maintain gameplay consistency let alone narrative.

Last edited:
Aright, I'm just going to sign off here with my wishlist to CDPR. Much love to you guys, I do think you built a solid foundation with CP2077, but with a new game comes new opportunities right? A bit more focus on some or all of the following would really make the experience all the sweeter.

If you give the choice of lethal and non lethal in your game, then make this meaningful in the overall narrative and not just for a handful of specific missions.

If you give the choice of playstyle in your game, then make it meaningful in the narrative too. Respect it, don’t take it away from the player without a plausible narrative reason.

If you have to have scripted action scenes in your game, then please find a way to respect the player’s weapon choice, otherwise narratively give a reason for why a weapon is or isn't present for that scenario.

If you offer an open world game experience where players can switch between missions and freeplay, pay particular attention to the emotional flow of the game and how character relationships are changed by previous events. (I think CDPR already do this, but whatever process they used wasn't enough to catch everything).

Top Bottom