Glass milky white

+
I have noticed glass and other see-through objects sometimes having a milky white appearance like the whiskey glass in the screenshot:
1703879417086.png

I have also noticed other people having the same problem and the solution apparently being an ini setting detailed in the Cyberpunk Ultra Plus Better Path Tracing and Stutter Hotfix mod (picture taken from the mod's images):
1703879447060.png

Now I proceeded to report the bug to CDPR where at first they requested a DxDiag file and now provided the following recommendation:

Please make sure that you have the latest GPU drivers installed:
  1. Download the latest Game Ready drivers using this link.
  2. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers. Make sure you're using Safe Mode.
  3. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.

However, even though I am familiar with DDU and have used it in the past I am wondering if this is even necessary. Is this not the regular appearance of glass surfaces in Cyberpunk 2077 (Path Tracing enabled) or is this a bug just me and a couple of other people are having due to a driver issue?

It's not a driver issue of any kind, it's just terribly made glass in the game which does not interact with the environment lighting whatsoever so it sticks out like a sore thumb because the game has numerous issues with visuals and graphics since 1.61, and with 2.0 the game's visuals only got worse.

Sometimes Support just gives you the most terrible advice which does nothing I'm afraid. I have no clue why they do this sometimes, because I was even told a few times to completely redownload the entire game for an easily reproduced in-game bug related to a perk which I've fully documented and sent to them. A bug which is still in the game and experienced by pretty much everyone, so sometimes it takes a bit of persistence to make them investigate it properly instead of keep sending cookie-cutter copy-pasted troubleshooting procedures.

You can do what they asked if you want a piece of mind to tell them at least that you did it, but it won't do anything. This is a vanilla issue.

Thx, I assumed this as well and just wanted to clarify. Would you, and anyone else having this bug, be so kind and report it as well please?

CDPR came back with an answers where they have acknowledged the bug and told me they were looking into it. I am wondering though, why they made me reinstall the game and the drivers before they confirmed whether or not the bug was known. At this point, they were wasting both my and their time...

As far as I've seen in the Digital Foundry video about Path-Tracing and Cyberpunk, there is no way to perfectly trace the partly transparent objects yet, so they use the old methods instead, which results in that type of weird looking glasses.

It's not a driver issue of any kind, it's just terribly made glass in the game which does not interact with the environment lighting whatsoever so it sticks out like a sore thumb because the game has numerous issues with visuals and graphics since 1.61, and with 2.0 the game's visuals only got worse.
No. It's raster shaders that aren't negated when activated RT or PT on account of what they do. ini tweaks can mitigate this largely for glass, but things like smog and smoke will still suffer the same problem. Disabling the shaders that cause this entirely creates more severe issues. Light refracting inside vehicle glass and very slightly obscuring visibility is a real phenomena, and I think in raster they were trying to approximate this... but when RT Reflections are turned on it's broken. It's largely a consequence of making the game appealing in raster without the tech being ready to do these things in RT. Likewise - the game wasn't originally designed with RT in mind so work arounds for the issue are limited even on the developer side to my knowledge.

Throw this into an ini
[RayTracing]
TransparentReflectionEnvironmentBlendFactor = 0.075000000

Adjust higher or lower to your liking. Lower reduces the presence of the 'milky' effect.

Sometimes Support just gives you the most terrible advice which does nothing I'm afraid. I have no clue why they do this sometimes, because I was even told a few times to completely redownload the entire game
Because they have no intent to address the issue. Honeslty not sure they're even capable given some of the bugs I cam across while authoring some of my mods for RT as there are several issues with LOD since 2.0, but CDPR can't force all the objects to render at LOD 0 because that would lock out potato gamers.
Post automatically merged:

CDPR came back with an answers where they have acknowledged the bug and told me they were looking into it.
Lol.. sure. They've been "looking into it" since 2021.
I am wondering though, why they made me reinstall the game and the drivers before they confirmed whether or not the bug was known. At this point, they were wasting both my and their time...
It's what support is told to do.

Last edited:
No. It's raster shaders that aren't negated when activated RT or PT on account of what they do. ini tweaks can mitigate this largely for glass, but things like smog and smoke will still suffer the same problem. Disabling the shaders that cause this entirely creates more severe issues. Light refracting inside vehicle glass and very slightly obscuring visibility is a real phenomena, and I think in raster they were trying to approximate this... but when RT Reflections are turned on it's broken. It's largely a consequence of making the game appealing in raster without the tech being ready to do these things in RT. Likewise - the game wasn't originally designed with RT in mind so work arounds for the issue are limited even on the developer side to my knowledge.

Throw this into an ini
[RayTracing]

Adjust higher or lower to your liking. Lower reduces the presence of the 'milky' effect.

Because they have no intent to address the issue. Honeslty not sure they're even capable given some of the bugs I cam across while authoring some of my mods for RT as there are several issues with LOD since 2.0, but CDPR can't force all the objects to render at LOD 0 because that would lock out potato gamers.
Post automatically merged:

It's what support is told to do.
This is the part I was talking about:
it can be something different of cource.

I know I can dream but it would be nice to have something like Unobtanium settings that need to be unlocked somehow which would allow to force something like LOD 0. Unfortunately, I assume this would break the engine and not work, even if this settings was available.

:-D - well, they fixed quite a lot of the bugs I have reported so here's hoping.

Throw this into an ini
[RayTracing]
Yeah, I have something like this in my ini, but it still does not hurt to report it.

This is the part I was talking about:
it can be something different of cource.
We were saying the same thing I believe, I hadn't read your comment before and was replying to Crimsomrider.

There is a shader for tracing translucency that is quite good. I was hoping CDPR would implement it... but with how f*cked up Path Tracing is since 2.0 I'd rather they just fix what's already here and move on. Next game perhaps.

We were saying the same thing I believe, I hadn't read your comment before and was replying to Crimsomrider.

There is a shader for tracing translucency that is quite good. I was hoping CDPR would implement it... but with how f*cked up Path Tracing is since 2.0 I'd rather they just fix what's already here and move on. Next game perhaps.
I think part of a problem comes from Nvidia too. Path Tracing is new technology, they are constantly implementing new algorithms to somehow reduce the performance costs. Do you remember DLSS 2.0 was and how it looks now?

I know I can dream but it would be nice to have something like Unobtanium settings that need to be unlocked somehow which would allow to force something like LOD 0. Unfortunately, I assume this would break the engine and not work, even if this settings was available.
Yeah, since 1.5 LOD modding has been a hassle.
:-D - well, they fixed quite a lot of the bugs I have reported so here's hoping.

Yeah, I have something like this in my ini, but it still does not hurt to report it.
True, we'll see. Funny thing is how these command configs can negate entire problems like chrome characters (allegedly) and glowing translucent objects in RT, but CDPR hasn't noticed and scripted that stuff to deactivate or adjust when using RT/PT

Top Bottom