Gwent 1080p vs 4k comparison

+
Gwent 1080p vs 4k comparison

We all know that the art for the cards in Gwent is amazing and I've been appreciating it for some time on my Samsung 4k 4:4:4 chroma TV that I am using as my PC monitor but today I had the notion to set the game resolution back to 1080p to see how big a a difference there was... I was astounded.

The two images attached are pictures taken from my phone's camera cropped down to show just a single card as seen in it's small form on the rows of the gameboard so this is not an arbitrary non-contextual screenshot but rather the difference as visible when sitting in front of the display.

20170105_100839-min.jpg20170105_101057-min.jpg

So for anyone who enjoys Gwent and has been considering getting a 4k display at some point... once you switch you'll never be able to go back to ol' 1080p.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The above comparison is flawed.

It may be so that watching 4k content on a 4k screen looks better than watching 1080p content on a 1080p screen. But watching 1080p content on a 4k screen, makes the content actually look worse than on a 1080p screen (from close range), because the image is washed out. I have the same issue with my 4K Macbook screen. All the apps that don't support 4k look fuzzy, while on my normal monitor those apps look fine. Now when you compare the 4k Macbook screen with my normal monitor, the monitor doesn't look worse because of the DPI...

Monitors have DPI. If you have 2 monitors with the same DPI, but one is bigger, then at close range the image looks worse. For TV's this is less of an issue, because usually you are sitting far away from it (in the living room). So having a bigger screen is actually disadvantageous (from close range), when having the same DPI. Then again, having a very small 4K screen, is equally disadvantageous, because you can't see the details.

Thank you for your points. Here is a picture taken of my Asus native 1080p monitor on the left and native 4k TV on the right for comparison.

20170105_101057-min.jpg

The difference is still very notable to me in person. I am using the 4k TV as a monitor for all PC tasks so I'm sitting within 3 feet and the image quality in the gwent cards truly is night and day compared to my 1080p native monitors as well.

Attachments

• 20170105_121952-min.jpg
    20170105_121952-min.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 145
It really depends on the distances as 4RM3D said before.
Is there a point to set it to 1080p on a 4K monitor?
And does 4K setting make any difference on a 1080p monitor?

Knightlon;n7419920 said:
And does 4K setting make any difference on a 1080p monitor?

I left the graphics setting in the gwent menu on 4k for all comparison, just changed the resolution the game was rendering at for each of the three tests.

I've heard all of the "4k is irrelevant at normal viewing distance" arguments which certainly are true for too small of a screen or too far of a distance however what I've discovered is that in real life, at real viewing distances for PC use in all cases (whether 1080p vs 4k on the 4k screen or a 1080p native monitor) the native 4k is still night and day noticeably better and makes the game feel more alive.

Top Bottom