Gwent Seasonal mini tournaments

+
Seasonal mode tournaments. The game tracks seasonal mode record from the prior season. 32 players with the best win and loss rate (note the use of rate to insure playing more doesn’t increase chances of qualifying from seasonal with a minimum of say 100 games (flexible number,) compete in a twitch covered tournament (players are online not in person,) held under the same seasonal rules as the prior season.

The downside is that it might encourage ranked players to play less ranked. The upside is that players who play unranked have an incentive to play seasonal. Small reward pool of either in game currency or low money prize if the tournament can find a sponsor. Twitch drops in effect (not sure of the business relationship between Twitch and content streamers, but in theory more traffic on twitch gets them more add money.)

Feedback is welcome. Also note this is more an outline of an idea than a complete idea. Fill in any blanks with suggestions.

Pretty much every seasonal mode is an unbalanced mess that gets solved within a day because of the obvious "exploits" that can be used to win. While that's a shame, it's not really an issue because seasonal mode is suppose to be... "wacky"!? Thus having this mode separated from normal play is fine. However, because of the unbalanced nature, it shouldn't be played competitively.

On a side note, Gwent needs more community tournaments. In the roadmap, the devs mentioned they want to make a feature that allows users to host there own tournaments. If this is indeed implemented, having an additional season mode option shouldn't take too much extra time.

Pretty much every seasonal mode is an unbalanced mess that gets solved within a day because of the obvious "exploits" that can be used to win. While that's a shame, it's not really an issue because seasonal mode is suppose to be... "wacky"!? Thus having this mode separated from normal play is fine. However, because of the unbalanced nature, it shouldn't be played competitively.

On a side note, Gwent needs more community tournaments. In the roadmap, the devs mentioned they want to make a feature that allows users to host there own tournaments. If this is indeed implemented, having an additional season mode option shouldn't take too much extra time.

The wacky ness and exploits are why it should be played competitively. Imagine you put in a three deck system for people who want to qualify. Variations on the meta will work in the same way they do in classic. Because there is more variation due to the added conditions it would make for an interesting watch if nothing else. Also, the goal should be to provide as much incentive to play Gwent as possible. When the meta is stale (no expansions for months,) the schedule is event free (no faction challenges, puzzles, etc...,) having something as simple as a competition to get into an official tournament goes a long way.

When I first joined beta years ago people were talking about player hosted tournaments with ore buy ins and ore prizes. You could use scraps, powder, RP, really whatever you want. Tournaments are a great way to keep people interested. Using twitch to host the tournaments and giving them some attention and love from CDPR is a great way to draw extra attention.

The wacky ness and exploits are why it should be played competitively.

No, it shouldn't. But let's agree to disagree here.

Because there is more variation due to the added conditions it would make for an interesting watch if nothing else.

An average seasonal mode has less variation in decks than ranked, unless you mean the variation between seasons. Then, yes, we usually get totally different decks.

No, it shouldn't. But let's agree to disagree here.

An average seasonal mode has less variation in decks than ranked, unless you mean the variation between seasons. Then, yes, we usually get totally different decks.
I have only been around for 3 seasonal modes so far. The first was the bear last year. Then I left during the elf, and came back during the elf this year. I have no idea about seasonal mode 10 months of the year except for reading about the conditions a few days ago. That said, I have seen at least 15 deck variations in my time playing seasonal. Thrive + bug thrive as well as a variation on point slam with bleeding and vampires for monsters, elves with both harmony and movement, etc...

It is true that a ton of people play nilfgard to exploit the spies and assimilate advantages. That said, if NG was only one available deck out of three it would freshen the seasonal meta and add variation.

Joy. Seasonal mode improvement is in this thread among others.

During my forced hiatus from Gwent i picked up Plants vs zombies 2. They run a number of tournament style events there, but in all of them they share the same basic structure that works pretty well... and that game is completely a pay 2 win structure.

1) They ban plants that would make the level too easy (unless it's a $5 premium plant because you can't spell "Pay Me" without EA...)

2) They tier the competition into 10 levels

3) then split the tiers into groups of 15 (given the h2h format of gwent, 16 or 32 would be better)

Until Gwent dev even moves towards making point 1 possible tournaments are a moot point. Hopefully the overall infrastructure of an app based tournament can be worked on after the mobile auto updates are out of beta test.

Last edited:
Top Bottom