Homecoming - The Savior Gwent Needs

+
Homecoming, weather, battlefield

Just a reminder that if we're going back to the roots of gwent we are supposed to be two opposing armies facing off on a Battlefield. It seems in that situation that weather should affect both parties as I could not imagine a battlefield where it's only raining on one player side and the other player side is sunny or it's only snowing and ice cold on one player side and the other player side is 76 degrees

Ha! That's an interesting point, Mystikast, but to be fair to CDPR that's the way it was in the original Gwent game in Witcher 3. (Wasn't it? It's been awhile, I admit.) I think I always interpreted the weather effects to be the same as casting a spell to create the weather. After all, weather does not magically clear on its own most of the time, either.

Homecoming - The Savior Gwent Needs

Hey all,

Very happy to hear about homecoming! Gwent is in a sad and sorry state right now; hopefully they do it right.

Things to keep in mind:
As little RNG as possible
Battlefield aspect (two sides facing each other)
Melee / ranged Units (& rows)
Engines are better than Point Spam
Too strong removal destroys engines and ruins the game
This game is geared towards an older audience than hearthstone, don't 'kiddy' it up.
Coinflip and spy CA have to be addressed.

My mistake, Mystikast . You are correct! I just played a round in Witcher 3, and weather does indeed affect both sides of the board. Hmmm. That could lead to some interesting complications in the online version.

Its amazig how bad they dropped the ball on this game. And you could tell they were on the wrong direction since the first change on CB with that stupid nerfhammer on Phillipa (few will remember).

Its sad really. Gwent had everything to be an amazing CCG.

Its even more sad because is clear to me why they made so much changes and the main reason is to simplify the game for new players/casuals. I remember back in the day a lot of new player came here on forums asking why they couldnt interact with gold cards. On other CCGs (coff... hearthstone... coff) legendary cards (i.e. gold cards) dont have any innate special mechanic besides being rarer than common cards, and that caused confusion on new players of gwent.

Back than, the though of them removing gold immunity to please these player crossed my mind but i never actually believed they would do that.... oh boy i was wrong. When i came back after a 6 months stop i was shocked with the state of the game. It was almost like playing solitaire.

Gwent has some fundamentals mechanics; 3 rounds, pass mechanic, small deck, row identity, factions identities (passives), gold immunity, fight for card advantage, among others. They stripped the game of almost all of those fundamental mechanics, leaving just the very core of 3 rounds and pass mechanic (although arena gameplay is almost that). No wonder why the game lost so much of its appeal.

Laveley

Oi, look who's back. I suppose Homecoming has sparked your attention once again. Are you sticking around or are you just going to wait and see what Homecoming brings after 6 months?

4RM3D;n10826611 said:
Laveley

Oi, look who's back. I suppose Homecoming has sparked your attention once again. Are you sticking around or are you just going to wait and see what Homecoming brings after 6 months?

Second option. I just came back to check Arena. Than was ready to left the game again and heard about homecoming. If the game comes back on a good state i will try it out again for sure.

On the current state, theres no reason for me to play it. They stripped out the game of so much of the mechanics which made it enjoyable that its almost like playing solitaire for me; whoever draws the most point combo wins. And heres where i say that i warned it. Sorry, i cant avoid it :p

There's still hope though, until there, i think i will replay witcher 2 and 3 and than play the expansions that i never did, so i will be playing gwent, just the "good" version of it; the one inside witcher 3 lmao!

Honestly, I would hold my opinion (negative and positive) until Homecoming is actually released. We don't know what will happen exactly. I am looking forward to Homecoming though. I installed Witcher 3 last night, hopefully it keeps me busy for a while.

I just wanna say it again. I love how they put so much work into Gwent. So many Companies abandon there games if it doesn't succeed on the first try. I hope homecoming gonna throw Gwent up to the top 1 Card game in our generation

Laveley;n10825901 said:
Its amazig how bad they dropped the ball on this game. And you could tell they were on the wrong direction since the first change on CB with that stupid nerfhammer on Phillipa (few will remember).

Its sad really. Gwent had everything to be an amazing CCG.

Its even more sad because is clear to me why they made so much changes and the main reason is to simplify the game for new players/casuals. I remember back in the day a lot of new player came here on forums asking why they couldnt interact with gold cards. On other CCGs (coff... hearthstone... coff) legendary cards (i.e. gold cards) dont have any innate special mechanic besides being rarer than common cards, and that caused confusion on new players of gwent.

Back than, the though of them removing gold immunity to please these player crossed my mind but i never actually believed they would do that.... oh boy i was wrong. When i came back after a 6 months stop i was shocked with the state of the game. It was almost like playing solitaire.

Gwent has some fundamentals mechanics; 3 rounds, pass mechanic, small deck, row identity, factions identities (passives), gold immunity, fight for card advantage, among others. They stripped the game of almost all of those fundamental mechanics, leaving just the very core of 3 rounds and pass mechanic (although arena gameplay is almost that). No wonder why the game lost so much of its appeal.

I remember being happy for the Phillapa change. She was too strong.

StrykerxS77x;n10827701 said:
I remember being happy for the Phillapa change. She was too strong.

She was. But the nerf hammer she received was too much. They basically transformed the best gold of the game on a biting frost with a body. the hilarious thing though is that they keep saying "phillipa still good" when she clearly wasnt. It was than that i realized they had no idea what they were doing. Phillipa was never played anymore even with some small buffs until they decided to simply remake the card.

Laveley;n10827731 said:
She was. But the nerf hammer she received was too much. They basically transformed the best gold of the game on a biting frost with a body. the hilarious thing though is that they keep saying "phillipa still good" when she clearly wasnt. It was than that i realized they had no idea what they were doing. Phillipa was never played anymore even with some small buffs until they decided to simply remake the card.

I have had many many problems with their balancing. It's just all over the place. Remember how many times they changed reinforced trebuchet?

Top Bottom