How to make driving easier?

+
What settings on a PS5 will make driving easier?

I'm not really interested in any of the driving aspect of this game and have no desire to get better at it through trial and error. I find the driving to be a trial in and of itself. Skating around like I'm on watery ice and doing 90˚ turns with a slight tilt of the controller just isn't my cup of tea.

But I've played with the settings and, honestly, I can't seem to find a way to make it any better than barely tolerable. I also can't handle first person driving both due to motion sickness issues and having zero peripheral awareness. So part of the problem is having, essentially, two direction controls. If the view kind-of locked on then it would be easier, maybe, but I don't know 'cause there doesn't seem to be that option.

Since there are multiple missions where you have to drive, I want to at least not have it be painfully annoying to get through but just can't figure out the settings to get it to that point. Any help to get it there will be appreciated.

pc version makes driving much more comfortable while holding down the "shift" (run) button. maybe it is worth to try the same trick on a ps5, but i'm not sure. i mean the "run" button or trigger or whatever. this is just a suggestion. i never played with a gamepad.

pc version makes driving much more comfortable while holding down the "shift" (run) button. maybe it is worth to try the same trick on a ps5, but i'm not sure. i mean the "run" button or trigger or whatever. this is just a suggestion. i never played with a gamepad.
it only makes a difference on bikes (leaning forward or backwards/burnout) not on cars - also its kinda hard to hold the stick up all the time cause its the same stick you use for turning left or right. Left stick for vehicle control, right stick for camera control : /

it only makes a difference on bikes (leaning forward or backwards/burnout) not on cars - also its kinda hard to hold the stick up all the time cause its the same stick you use for turning left or right. Left stick for vehicle control, right stick for camera control : /
i didnt use "shift" with bikes, cant say. but with a car if you turn the steering wheel all the way and then press "shift" (temporary run button, not the walk/run switch), you can see how the front wheels return halfway. this is evidence of the "trick" working. it is works, then maybe it is possible to change bindings or layout somehow to make it more convenient, idk.

i didnt use "shift" with bikes, cant say. but with a car if you turn the steering wheel all the way and then press "shift" (temporary run button, not the walk/run switch), you can see how the front wheels return halfway. this is evidence of the "trick" working. it is works, then maybe it is possible to change bindings or layout somehow to make it more convenient, idk.
hmm might be on pc - dont have any exp with keybinds or even keyboard support. im playing on ps5 with controler only ^^

You might actually have an easier time googling driving settings for Cyberpunk. I don't have a problem with the default control settings but I see there's some advice on how to avoid oversteering, for example, by fiddling with settings. Just be sure you're looking at relatively recent advice because they tweaked things on driving in several of the patches.

The driving system is by far one of the weakest elements of the game, likely due to its terrible physics engine.

Mod's can help remedy the issue on PC, though I'm not sure if you can get mods on the PS5.

If you're really struggling one option is to drive more slowly, which makes turning much easier. There are one or two missions that require you to drive reasonably fast, though.

Skating around like I'm on watery ice and doing 90˚ turns with a slight tilt of the controller just isn't my cup of tea.
Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be driving the free Type 66 "Hoon" would you? Because skating around doing ridiculous drifts is kind of its thing if you know the story of who they are honoring with that one.

Along these same lines, the best advice if you don't want to fiddle with settings or spending any time learning to drive in the game, is maybe just try different cars. They do handle differently and you might find some easier to drive than others. Or have you tried any of the bikes? As long as you slow down for turns, they tend not to oversteer or slide around and they are much easier to navigate through traffic since you can slip between and around other cars much more easily.

Best way to make driving easier is to get the Caliburn and avoid literally every other vehicle in the game like the plague.

It's literally the only vehicle in the game that has actual handling (It's also the fastest vehicle in the game to boot).

Everything else likes to just spin out like mad (Especially in first gear) or has a turning circle of a straight line (I.e. Bikes)

I'm not sure why they decided to only make that 1 singular vehicle function and none of the others, but hey at least you can get one for free when you're at 50 Street Cred (In the cave where Panam's intro mission takes you it'll be parked in a shipping container)

Just out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be driving the free Type 66 "Hoon" would you? Because skating around doing ridiculous drifts is kind of its thing if you know the story of who they are honoring with that one.
68E45F06-FF9B-4130-A5EB-07FD1A196582.jpeg

Maybe I gonna redownload NFS Reboot for a ride with him & his crew… : /

I didn't know anything about using 'shift' to make things easier. I still am not clear on what it does, will look it up. Thanks for the tip!
About Caliburn, the view is best without the doors. ^^

I've managed to get the Hoon, Caliburn, Delamain Jr., Saul's and Jackie's bikes and also during NCPD missions, 'stealing' cars/bikes, so I've had a fair bit of variety in experience I'd say.

They all suck (IMO).

Maybe it's due to my neurological issues but I find the disconnect between having multiple axes (left and right joysticks, one controlling vehicle turning, the other controlling vertical/horizontal viewpoint) to be incredibly disorienting. That's a big factor in why I find it hard to control. Since first-person causes motion sickness for me, I have to use third-person view and even then, as far out as possible. Another issue is how it reorients back to a low plane as it then becomes more difficult to judge speed and distance and upcoming obstacles/turns.

I was hoping it was a common enough issue for other people that there was some kind of consensus on settings but it seems to be more of a me problem so I guess I'll just have to deal.

Next thread will be a complaint and request to CDPR about Delamain Jr. and my gross disappointment at not getting a taxi driver to ferry me around, as well as how annoying Claire is whenever I go to Afterlife, hassling me about her stupid driving competition. SHUT. UP. CLAIRE! I DON'T WANT TO PARTICIPATE! NO MEANS NO!

Okay, I'm over it (not really, but end of rant).

Youre not alone here @akaddk, in my opinion the driving physics are passable at best.
Im into racing games. Not like a hardcore sim racer, but I am interested in cars, racing and how driving works and all that.
And to me, after playing dozens of racing games over the years, the vehicle physics feel really weird.
Its not that they are arcady, I dont mind that, like in GTA. It feels like the engine wasnt really designed to handle vehicles. The best way I can describe it is this: It feels like they took a model, made it look like a car and forced physics upon it that are supposed to look like a car is behaving. Instead of actually simulating a moving vehicle with wheels, steering angles, suspension movement and so on. This results in the car giving you virtually no feedback and having snap oversteer with high powered, rear wheel drive cars.
Im not a racing driver, but I know how to catch a car during a slide, and here it rarely works because it feels like the car isnt doing the actual physics of a car, but pretends to do so. Even after playing for over 250h now, I only got a very rough feeling for the handling some of the cars and avoid most of them. Slower cars are actually more fun to drive, like the Thrax Jefferson or the Alvarado, as they dont escalate at every corner.
Bikes have a decent handling, as long as you stay within the grip limit of the tires, as soon as you turn too sharply, the bike loses all momentum. Which again points to me that the vehicles are moving boxes that look like cars and bikes with physics that only very, very roughly emulate "real" vehicle physics. Now I dont want Forza style handling, something like GTAV would be just fine, because there the cars at least feel predictable, which is the biggest factor in handling in video games. Even if the handling is arcady as hell, I want to know what my car is doing, what it is going to do in the next corner and how I can manipulate it in a way that gets me quickest around the corner...

my two cents as someone who takes driving somewhat seriously, peace

As a PC player I added into Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config\inputUserMappings.xml under <mapping name="Acceleration_Axis" type="Axis" >
a line <button id="IK_LShift" val="0.05" overridableUI="vehicleAccelerate"/> , which makes it so, that when I hold shift the car holds 50-60 Mph speed without need for pressing W all the time. (it will conflict with bikes, so if you like bikes you need to choose another button, instead of LShift)

Overall, Caliburn drives great, but so does Outlaw and V-Tech in my opinion (Aerondight accelerates very slowly, but has pretty good controls too).

Bikes have a decent handling, as long as you stay within the grip limit of the tires, as soon as you turn too sharply, the bike loses all momentum.
And ends up pointed in the wrong direction. Still, I probably spend 90% of my driving time in this game on bikes. As long as I slow down enough for turns, I still end up getting where I am going faster than than a car simply because of the ability to slip in-between and around traffic so easily.

At least for non car related missions they should have allowed you to use auto control. Just punch in your destination on the map and the car drives itself. Then you could look at the beautiful city go by and maybe find locations organically. The DEV probably intended the mass transit to do exactly that (drive you there to allow you to see the city go by ) way back in the planning of the game.

At least for non car related missions they should have allowed you to use auto control. Just punch in your destination on the map and the car drives itself. Then you could look at the beautiful city go by and maybe find locations organically. The DEV probably intended the mass transit to do exactly that (drive you there to allow you to see the city go by ) way back in the planning of the game.
Agreed. I feel like Delamain is a missed opportunity here. I mean, you get a taxi with an AI, it is the natural next step to have that available as an actual taxi, not just a drivable car

Top Bottom