I Like the 2.0 Overhaul but I do feel it makes life paths even more irrelevant

+
For the most part I think the update is a success but the one thing I am disappointed with is that it makes the life paths even more irrelevant. This isn't just 2.0, they have been moving further and further way from build specific or a class based system for some time now. I realize having the freedom to mix and match skills regardles of life path can be fun but I do think it removes some replayability from the game.

With this update everyone starts at a baseline where they have similar skills, even cyberware abilities that I think should be available to only Netrunners can be used by other builds. It still has restrictions on the more advanced skills I know but I hope they aren't going in that general direction as far as game design for this IP. The biggest miss they made in my opinion was not having each life path tied more closely to the skills you can learn and have the first half of the game completely different for each path. This extends to other quality of life updates that they made as well. e.g. As a street kid why would I have an Apartment uptown in a building with other Corpo rats? I feel like in an attempt to offer every option they risk losing some of the DNA of the game.

I think one player said here recently that they were concerned about the anime influence on the team who worked on the updates and I think they may have been right. There were certainly lessons to take away from Edgerunner but they clearly took some of the wrong lessons as well. I think they need to reign things in just slightly, otherwise by designing the next game this way every playthrough will feel the same and there will be no reason to go back to the game. I'm hoping that Phantom Liberty will add a different flavor to things.

Last edited:
I think the devs tried a bit too hard to revamp the gameplay for the sake of revamping.

I treat cyberpunk as a driving and pretty lighting game. I don't care much for builds or equipment. However I see a lot of frustration by players who engage in various hacking gameplay.

I think the devs tried a bit too hard to revamp the gameplay for the sake of revamping.

I treat cyberpunk as a driving and pretty lighting game. I don't care much for builds or equipment. However I see a lot of frustration by players who engage in various hacking gameplay.
This. Some of these changes really feel like they just wanted to change something without considering whether its actually necessary.

the lifepath system has had so much potential but its pretty bad, was excited to play a mad max character.........yea that aint going to happen

There are pros and cons to class systems in games like Cyberpunk 2077. You've pointed out the pros: making people choose a playstyle at the beginning of the game lets each character feel very different from the get-go. As it is now, builds largely feel the same until you've gotten to level to the new perk breakpoints and grab cyberware to specialize. Classless games, regardless of the developer, often suffer from this problem. However, I think that even in a class-based system, I don't think attaching those classes to lifepaths would have been the right move. It would need to be a separate decision or you'd end up making a situation where certain character archetypes are impossible. For example, making Netrunning attached to the Corpo lifepath or attaching Solo perks to being a Nomad would limit players to a handful of concepts. I agree that Lifepaths should have gotten a lot more reactivity and focus, but turning them into "choose your class" isn't it.

Top Bottom