Ideas for Gwent Rules and Gameplay

+
Ideas for Gwent Rules and Gameplay

Okay, so a while ago, I made a suggestion thread for Gwent Card Game Rules and customisation of those rules with some ideas for rules. It can be found here if you wish: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/101171-Ability-to-change-Gwent-Rules A staff member even said they liked the idea! (Though I am aware that does not mean it will HAPPEN)

I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread for people to come up with some potential Gwent rules, ideas and suggestions. Feel free to post any from that thread that you like, but come up with some new ones as well.

Strategic mode.
Overall gwent is a clash between two armies so option to make it as a part of the war could be an interesting option to develop the game later.

I thought about something similar to board game* like risk or games of throne (these i know) with recruiting units (cards) and gwent battles.
These would be not just copy pasted from the multi but affected by the situation on the board.

* of course im not saying that this approach is the best, i just want to briefly outline whole idea

I know that my ideas aren't much popular,but i have to say that removing randomness where it is sensible would add more value to the game (i and i hope not only i prefer skill over luck) so i came up with some idea how cards with random row in their rules could be improved

Whale from the Cave of Dreams
Place on row on which opponent plays next card (if not then choose the row)

Roach
place on the played hero row

Odrin
move to row on which enemy played card (if card wasnt played on row then stay)

I hope that this time you wont have bad attitude towrds this idea as its far importand than the other ones

Last edited:
Honesty gwent has much less random moves then other ccg's today cards like natures gift is not random it's the last played special, and cards like the operator or Ordin You just do not have to play in your deck. If you want little to none random cards you do not have to play them.
[h=1][/h]

Treat deck as a stock, and repleace "play random card from your deck" to "play top card from your deck" (play top hero card for operator and so on). This could give more strategies and interesting option (and i think remove radomness) so for example reaver scout (which is not good troop now) could have rule: check two top cards from your deck then leave or put on the bottom of your deck each one. of course this require some adaptaion for current cards like spies (i can give an idea if you want)

@KingBlackToof @ShifuoftheCards

In the Witcher 3 we had Emyhr Leader Card for Nilfgaard. Look at 3 of your opponents cards in your Hand at random.

A while back I was thinking how you could bring this over so it's viable - Because although it was REALLY interesting and fun , no one picked it because it wasn't all that useful.
Well during that thinking process I thought about looking at the top 3 cards in your Deck and Re-arrange them.

If Nilfgaard had Spies and other Cards which Drew the 'Top Card' from your Deck.
You could have Leader Cards or Troops which look at the top 2 / 3 / 5 etc cards in your Deck and allow you to re-arrange them.
Giving you a Higher Quality Spy Draw Rate later on.

TL: DR - Nilfgaard could have Leader Cards or Troops which look at the top 2 / 3 / 5 etc cards in your Deck and allow you to re-arrange them.
Giving you a Higher Quality Spy Draw Rate later on.

That doesn't just give you a "Higher Quality" spy draw, that breaks the new spy mechanics totally. Sometimes I wonder whether it's because people are still looking at this game through past experiences of HS,MtG, etc... or they just expect the whole thing to be so dumbed down or perfect for them or whatever....

Spy draw mechanics (2 cards, 1 shown, 1 hidden) were implemented for a reason and what you're suggesting will effectively invalidate that. Sure, somewhere down the road with new factions, cards and mechanics added, things may definitely change but now? When Beta hasn't even began?

Also, there's a limit to how much 'randomness' you can remove from the game. I might even say a certain amount of randomness is needed for any game to be fun and competitive. A game with no randomness doesn't necessarily mean you will be known for your skill or whatever because then everybody will be using the same cookie cutter deck with a certain optimized play order and everything will be by the book, so to speak. Even though the nature of GWENT helps to mitigate that somewhat... I'm getting long-winded, so I'll just stop here.

Well I can see you're reluctant to have that style of ability.
And although this is an Ideas Thread I'm not pushing for it - CDPR can do what they think is best.

However, allow me to defend the idea for a moment briefly.

-- The Spies that Draw the Top Card from your Deck could be Nilfgaard specific. And in actuality without any other effects in play, work just the same as other Spies.

- Now if you want to re-arrange the top cards on your Deck you are spending a 2nd card to do so, albeit that might have some Strength attached to it, it wont have another Ability apart from that so that's a card in your Deck that doesn't have Tight Bond or Medic etc.

- Now if ALL Nilfgaard Spies pull from the Top. If you get a Rubbish Top 3 Cards in your Deck, You are out of Luck, unless you can Muster one of them away.
(Unless there are cards which can Shuffle your Deck - Which is probably a crap card to have but would be another card wasted in the effort of getting a Hero or something valuable at the top.)

Well I can see you're reluctant to have that style of ability.
I'm not targeting any specific style or anything. If I did that, I would have to make a post in almost every single thread... If i have to put it in words, it will be more like I'm surprised and perplexed by how some of the more recent posts by newer posters or longtime lurkers are more fitting and in tune with the game. Or maybe, I'm just pissed off at the recent Manchester derby!
:laughing:

How about a 2v2 mode? Each player draws 5 cards each out of their decks. Two teams of two. And you take turns playing. I could see this going badly if your partner is not a strategic player.

How about a 2v2 mode? Each player draws 5 cards each out of their decks. Two teams of two. And you take turns playing. I could see this going badly if your partner is not a strategic player.
Personally i think it is very bad idea, because i think not many people (including me) would like to rely on stranger (for the reason you mentioned) as for playing with friend, you can always sit with/stream game, and discuss moves

Top Bottom