Is The Witcher 2 the best RPG you have played in years?

+
Is The Witcher 2 the best RPG you have played in years?

Well I just wanna get psyched up for when I play this....right now i'm in the middle of playing The Witcher 1 and then I will play The Witcher 2...How great is the storytelling and story in this game? Also how great or interesting are the characters? Do you consider this the best RPG you ever played? My favorite RPG is Xenogears but I have never played the witcher 2 yet and i'm in chapter 1 on the witcher 1 right now...I have a slow computer so it may take a while for me to finish the witcher 1....I have the witcher 2 on Xbox 360 though....

I love RPG's games because they focus the most on story and characters and have the most cut scenes usually or FMV's...how great is this game? Thanks!!!

The game you're in the middle of -- The Witcher 1 -- is a truly wonderful game, with lots of great story-telling, wonderful characters, and some memorable cutscenes. If I were you, I'd pay attention to the game I'm playing right now and enjoy the hell out of it, because while TW1 has a lot of replay value, you only get to play it for the first time ONCE. So concentrate on the wonderful game that's in front of you; some of us like it even better than The Witcher 2.

LilKis said:
Well I just wanna get psyched up for when I play this....right now i'm in the middle of playing The Witcher 1 and then I will play The Witcher 2...How great is the storytelling and story in this game? Also how great or interesting are the characters? Do you consider this the best RPG you ever played? My favorite RPG is Xenogears but I have never played the witcher 2 yet and i'm in chapter 1 on the witcher 1 right now...I have a slow computer so it may take a while for me to finish the witcher 1....I have the witcher 2 on Xbox 360 though....

I love RPG's games because they focus the most on story and characters and have the most cut scenes usually or FMV's...how great is this game? Thanks!!!

You listen to Corylea, for she has shared with you words of wisdom.

I imagine by your post that you come from, mostly, console RPG's. A lot of us in this forum played several classic computer role-playing games back in the day, when companies weren't bound to draconian publishers demanding impossible deadlines. A lot of detail and creativity went into the making, those were the days. Some of these jewels that you may want to try if you don't mind "old school gameplay" are Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and Fallout 1 and 2.

In recent years there has been a drought of good computer RPG's, and barely anything relevant has been released. Many of the recent RPG's have also been mixed with other game genres, incorporating elements from shooters, first and third person action games, etc, while streamlining and reducing the role you may actually play.

The Witcher is especially relevant not only because it came from a, back then, unknown company, but also because it managed to do what others could not. Made by a small Polish studio, The Witcher 1 was the game big names like Bioware should have made. The game you are playing is wonderful in many dimensions: characters, setting, artwork, general writing. Don't get ahead of yourself and enjoy what you are playing :)

The Witcher 2 is a little different. It is more of a hybrid than the first game was. Interestingly enough, it manages to mix challenging real-time combat with excellent writing and palpable choice-and-consequence.

So yes, both are great, but also different. I don't see how your computer being "slow" will make you take longer to finish, but considering you are only in chapter 1 you do have quite a few hours ahead of you. And to answer your question, both TW1 and TW2, together, are some of the best (new) computer RPG's I have played in a long time, ranking very high in my all time favorite list.

I have mentioned it before, but i will do so again. I took over 6 weeks to play my first time through THe Witcher 1. Savor every moment. The fact that you have a slower computer lets you enjoy the pain and anguish of being Geralt that much more. ( mine did only 7-19 fps for the whole first play through- but then i got a better graphics card) I am one of those Corylea mentioned who prefers TW1 over TW2, having played the first 15+ times now and the second only 6. When asked, my reply will always be that TW1 is absolutely the best game I have played. BUT, TW2 is a close follower, so you have many many hours of enjoyment ahead of you. TW1 was a labor of love for the young company and it shows.

Edit: By the way, when you have completed a run of TW1, try out the additional content that were made by the folks here at the forum- especially Medical Problems 1 & 2. Someone we love made all of those and you will probably love to see them.

The story is better than TW1's imo. And the characters are leagues ahead..

So if you're even slightly enjoying those two aspects of TW1 at the moment, expect an enormous improvement in the sequel.

As to the question, it is one of the best RPG's i've played without a doubt. Though coming onto TW2 forums will likely yield the same answer from everyone who enters the thread.

The Witcher 2 is, without a doubt, the best RPG I've played in years. The story is great, the characters and their motivations are interesting, but what really sets it apart for me is just how much Choice & Consequence there is. Unlike other games that advertise choices mattering *cough*MassEffect3*cough* but failing to live up to that promise, the Witcher 2 actually does make you feel like your choices have a huge impact on the story.

Volsung said:
Made by a small Polish studio, The Witcher 1 was the game big names like Bioware should have made.

A little OT, but it always makes me wonder why people keep saying this every time The Witcher is mentioned. "See Bioware, that's how you should have been" and so on. Seriously, why can't we just get over this whole Bioware cult or something and realise they are not so great any more? Or Baldur's Gate sentiment is going to hold us forever?

So far i'm enjoying this game, top notch humor definitely feels like its a solid well thought of game. The last two RPGs that I enjoyed this much and I know it might be a bit of taboo being as its a witchers board and a lot of people come from bioware, BUUUT the last time i enjoyed an rpg this much was with the original mass effect and dragon age: origins.

I cannot tell you if TW1 or TW2 is the bestr one. If I haven't played TW2, TW1 would be the undoubting best one. But vice versa too!!! If I haven't played TW1, the best would be TW2! I mean, for me, the fact of playing both of 2 games makes the SAGA the best RPG games I've never played before. Hard to explain in a foreing language (as english is for me) but once I have played TW1 and TW2 I have the sensation that I am playing a huge whole single game. Maybe, this is the Witcher's magic...

The main difference in what i see in recent Bioware games in a nutshell is a "Man/woman" saving the world whereas in the witcher series you have a man trying to fit in with humanity and with what would be morally acceptable decisions or not and that every decision made in the game is not a clear cut right or wrong decision but more of a gray area . In both witcher games the decisions you make are YOUR decisions based on how you play and not how the developers feel you NEED to play the game . The storytelling in each game is outstanding in it`s own right . But yes take your time in the first witcher and discover all the love put in the game by CD Projekt RED . Also listen to the NPC`s as you pass by some of what they say is hilarious as well as can lead you to other side quests and valuable knowledge .

Tommy said:
The main difference in what i see in recent Bioware games in a nutshell is a "Man/woman" saving the world whereas in the witcher series you have a man trying to fit in with humanity and with what would be morally acceptable decisions or not and that every decision made in the game is not a clear cut right or wrong decision but more of a gray area . In both witcher games the decisions you make are YOUR decisions based on how you play and not how the developers feel you NEED to play the game . The storytelling in each game is outstanding in it`s own right . But yes take your time in the first witcher and discover all the love put in the game by CD Projekt RED . Also listen to the NPC`s as you pass by some of what they say is hilarious as well as can lead you to other side quests and valuable knowledge .

hey hey, DA:O did a rather nice job to break from the mold, maybe it didn't have a ton of different endings, but I feel that it definitely broke the usual bioware mold. Not that it matters since its successor was a steam pile of garbage.

burnttoast said:
hey hey, DA:O did a rather nice job to break from the mold, maybe it didn't have a ton of different endings, but I feel that it definitely broke the usual bioware mold. Not that it matters since its successor was a steam pile of garbage.

Yes they did and i wasn`t disrespecting Bioware at all just merely taking the games they make as a whole and condensing the plot line .

Forum veteran
We need some kind of super mod who deletes accounts outright for random mentions of the company who shan't be named in threads where that particular company isn't the topic. No warnings. Just deletions. Seriously, because this is ridiculous. It spirals out of control and changes the discussion to that particular company every time, and there are far too many threads that have been consumed by it.

Response to the actual topic question: No, but only because I played Planescape for the first time in 2010 (I think... that year is all fuzzy). That's not calling W2's quality into question so much as stating that Planescape is virtually un-best-able in my eyes. Anyway, Witcher 1 and 2 are very different games, though both are amazing in their own ways. You might want to fit a short game between the two in order to get used to some different mechanics and make it easier to get into Witcher 2 early on.

I don't compare CDPR vs any other company. I'm talking about the taste which games left me after playing them, and it is obvious that DAO (great game for me) need to have to depared from DA2 (let'me give it a good qualification) if does not want to splash the bad reputation of it.

I case of TW Saga we can say that The overall result is greater than the sum of the values... or ins't?

227 said:
We need some kind of super mod who deletes accounts outright for random mentions of the company who shan't be named in threads where that particular company isn't the topic. No warnings. Just deletions. Seriously, because this is ridiculous. It spirals out of control and changes the discussion to that particular company every time, and there are far too many threads that have been consumed by it.

Response to the actual topic question: No, but only because I played Planescape for the first time in 2010 (I think... that year is all fuzzy). That's not calling W2's quality into question so much as stating that Planescape is virtually un-best-able in my eyes. Anyway, Witcher 1 and 2 are very different games, though both are amazing in their own ways. You might want to fit a short game between the two in order to get used to some different mechanics and make it easier to get into Witcher 2 early on.

ummm last i checked the question was if the Witcher 2 was the best rpg played in the recent years. I brought up DA:O and the original ME because they were good. Sorry if you still have a raw nerve for ME3. But i'm still staying on topic bud.

Forum veteran
burnttoast said:
Sorry if you still have a raw nerve for ME3. But i'm still staying on topic bud.
I was making a general statement based on how threads become totally swallowed by that kind of discussion, not calling you out specifically. Since you apparently didn't see that I'll just point out that this...

burnttoast said:
... is not on topic in any way, shape, or form. Nice try, bud.

Easy fellas . The title of the topic suggested different RPG`s so naturally different developers and companies are bound to come in the picture when comparing one RPG to another . Will move this to Community .

227 said:
I was making a general statement based on how threads become totally swallowed by that kind of discussion, not calling you out specifically. Since you apparently didn't see that I'll just point out that this...

... is not on topic in any way, shape, or form. Nice try, bud.

haha, looks like someone is still pretty angry at the spacemagic ending, time to move on. Anyways getting back to the topic at hand DA:O and ME were the last two games that have come close to the experience that I've had so far with the witcher 2.

Top Bottom