Missing/ corrupted files HELP!!!!

+
I'll try to be as brief as possible, I'll summarize steps taken so no one suggest what I've already done.
Played CB2077 on PC fine since 2020 release. No issues.
Put it up for a few months and came back about 3 weeks ago after the last update to pick it back up again.
Now the game crashes, typically when trying to load any save with the corrupted or missing files error.
Steps I've already done ( multiple times each)
-Verify steam files ( always says all validated)
-Followed CDPR steps on clean install of the game. https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...cal/issue/2233/how-do-i-clean-install-my-game
-I even reinstalled windows twice trying to fix this.
-turned off steam cloud sync and in game cross-platform saves AND started a completely new fresh game 1.62 ( which I can only do once after a fresh game install, reboot then verify.) If I save it once and attempt to load into the fresh save I will get the "corrupted or missing files " crash.
I play a dozen other games ( MW2, Hunt Showdown, Witcher 3, Acent, Star Citizen, BF2042 and many others.) Only CB2077 is doing this.
CDPR support site is just FAQ's with links that didn't help and there is no way I see to talk to somone about this.
I finally posted here as a last resort in the hopes somone has had this exact same issue with a solution I've not tried yet.
Fingers crossed............
PC specs: 4090,
64gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 6400mhz
Intel 13900KS

CDPR support site is just FAQ's with links that didn't help and there is no way I see to talk to somone about this.
At first, you can contact directly CDPR support here ("contact us"button). Something I recommend doing right now ;)
So the game run fine as long as you don't load a save ?
(you can start a new game, play, save your progression but totally unable to load any save)
It happen with all saves ? (manual/auto-save)

At first, you can contact directly CDPR support here ("contact us"button). Something I recommend doing right now ;)
So the game run fine as long as you don't load a save ?
(you can start a new game, play, save your progression but totally unable to load any save)
It happen with all saves ? (manual/auto-save)
No, somtimes, even after a fresh install of the game it will crash with the corrupted missing files error just after character creation.
Somtimes it won't, I can load right into the game and play as long as I like until I die and need to continue a checkpoint or attempt to load any save, manual or auto.
This occurs with new games or, if I turn cloud/cross-platform back on will occurs with any older saves as well.
It seems also, if I attempt this to many times without steam file verification, the error will occur at launch and require a complete install of the game to even attempt entry into the game once.
Thank you also for the link.
I will also contact CDPR

Just a guess, but check your anti-virus, in case :
Oh, it seem obvious, but I have to ask :)
You don't use any mods ?
(it doesn't matter if you used mods before. If you performed a clean-install as suggested on support page, there should be no trace of the mods anywhere, except in save files obviously).

Just a guess, but check your anti-virus, in case :
Oh, it seem obvious, but I have to ask :)
You don't use any mods ?
(it doesn't matter if you used mods before. If you performed a clean-install as suggested on support page, there should be no trace of the mods anywhere, except in save files obviously).
Yes, I've used mods in the past but not now. As you've said it wouldn't matter with a clean install.

I submitted a ticket a week ago now with no response. Anyone know how long CDPR usually takes to respond to a ticket?

I submitted a ticket a week ago now with no response. Anyone know how long CDPR usually takes to respond to a ticket?

It really depends on the time of the report and how busy things are.

There was also a holiday on Thursday, that can slow down things too.

DC9V

Forum veteran
If the request is about a single well described and clearly worded issue, and if all necessary information (system specs, screenshots or video-link) is provided, then it should take 3 to 14 workdays.

If the request is about several issues (doesn't matter if major or minor), or if you have not desribed the issue properly, it can take up to two months.

If it takes longer than expected, it could also mean that it's a known issue and a patch or hotfix might already be on its way. To find out you could check pinned messages in the Discord server, or look for updated pages on the official support site.

Last edited:
Steam game? Try deleting all the steam shader pre-cach files for the game. I read that they can crash the game if they conflict. Most people just empty the folder and let it rebuild I guess but personally I turn off any (as much as I can) cloud related activity concerning my games.

Well, I went back and forth with CDPR customer support.
Thier first reply had me do what Id already done. Delete folders, clean install, etc.
The issue persisted. So they sent a second reply within a day and gave similar instruction will just a few more %appdata% things to delete.
The issue still persists. Essentially, if I verify the steam files every time before I play I can get in and load a save no problem. I can play the game no problem, cut scenes, combat etc. no problem. for hours without issue.
However, if I die and need to continue last checkpoint, attempt to load another save, attempt to fast travel in game or use the in game benchmark it will crash with the "corrupted or missing game data" error.
So long as I verify CB2077 steam files (which none are ever missing), I can get into a save one time and play.
Ive sent two more replys to CDPR support but they havent responded in 4 days now so I think they are done.
However!
One thing they never asked or suggested (nor anyone here yet actually) was to click the "what does this report contain" button on the error reporter window.
Which says:
Error reason: Assert
Expression: false
File: E:\R6.Release\dev\src\common\redCompression\src\wrapperKraken.cpp(339)

Now, I dont know what this is but it's the reason apparently. Right??
I dont have an E: drive
This is a dev folder?

Now, I dont know what this is but it's the reason apparently. Right??
I dont have an E: drive
This is a dev folder?
I'm far to be an expert, but it could be a kind of "virtual" drive while the game is running (but I could be wrong).
So the support asked you to perform a clean install as explained here ?
And it also happen if you start a brand new game?
i.e a newly created save. It should be really easy to try by starting a new game, create (on a brand new save slot to avoid overwriting an old save) and reload a new save as soon as you're able to.

Edit : Oh I read your previous posts, so I guess, yes it crash too :(

Well, just to test I installed the game on my older laptop. No problems loading or jumping around various saves.
So this issue and its specific error are on my gaming rig somehow.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Well, just to test I installed the game on my older laptop. No problems loading or jumping around various saves.
So this issue and its specific error are on my gaming rig somehow.
Got a couple of questions.
  1. Are you using a Firewall or AntiVirus programme other than Windows Defender?
  2. Where is Cyberpunk installed? Same drive as Windows? C: or D: ? External or internal drive? NVMe?
  3. When you were performing the clean-install of both Windows and Cyberpunk, did you restore any files from a backup?
  4. is your BIOS up-to-date and did you check your DRAM? Have you tried resetting your CMOS, or flashing the BIOS?
Turn your firewall off and test a game to see if the issue still occurs:

Follow the steps below to test your firewall:
  1. Do a virus scan
  2. Press the Windows Key on your keyboard
  3. Type Windows Defender Firewall
  4. Press the Enter Key on your keyboard
  5. Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
  6. Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall box under Private Network Settings
  7. Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall box under Public Settings Network
  8. Launch Cyberpunk 2077
  9. Play a game to see if the issue has been resolved
Turn the firewall back on:
  1. Close Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Press the Windows Key on your keyboard
  3. Type Windows Defender Firewall
  4. Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
  5. Select the Turn on Windows Defender Firewall box under Private Network Settings
  6. Select the Turn on Windows Defender Firewall box under Public Settings Network
  7. Close the window
If the issue is resolved by disabling the firewall,
Follow the steps below to create an exception:

1. Press the Windows Key on your keyboard
  2. Type Windows Defender Firewall
  3. Press the Enter Key on your keyboard
  4. Select Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall
  5. Scroll down until you find Cyberpunk 2077
  6. Check all boxes named Cyberpunk 2077
  7. Click the OK button
If you do not see Cyberpunk 2077 in the Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall list, you will need to add it:
  1. Click the Allow another app… button in the Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall window
  2. Click on the Browse button
  3. Locate Cyberpunk2077.exe
    • Steam Path: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\cyberpunk2077.exe
    • GOG Path: C:\program files (x86)\gog galaxy\games\cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64\cyberpunk2077.exe
  4. Check all boxes named Cyberpunk 2077
  5. Click the OK button
[...] Crashes at startup [can be] a result of Microsoft Redistributables. DirectX, Visual C++, Visual Studio, XNA Framework, etc. If these are not correctly configured, it can prevent games from launching correctly. Running the installation packages manually from the Microsoft website is always a good idea if seeing a CTD or black-screen hang with any game. (Also, versions of Visual C++ and Studio install side-by-side. Ensuring you have legacy versions installed for the original release dates of the games you like to play can created much smoother sailing in the future. Just be sure to install them in order, and to install both the x86 and x64 versions of each for Windows 10 or Windows 7 64-bit.) [...]

Last edited:
Update: well, CDPR did get back to me again. Ironically they've now requested the stacktrace report I noted above.
We'll see what they can do I guess.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for your reply.
1)Just using windows defender. CB2077 is excluded and all .exes are running as admin.
2)C: drive. Internal M.2
3) did not restore from backup just a clean install from Steam. Incidentally I've also done a clean install of Windows 11.
4) well, I did have the latest Bios, until I just checked now and it looks like ASUS released a new one yesterday. https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/
Lol.
Guess I'll try that today when I get home from work.

Last edited:
it feel an issues with the API from steam , may be i'm wrong
do you run the steam beta with all new update , or the default steam client ..?

try to do a clean install of steam and clean install of cyberpunk
steel get the crash when running steam on offline mode ..?

Well, I'd did a clean install of steam when I reinstalled windows a few weeks ago to try and fix the issue.
I dont run the beta just default steam.
I also tried it on GOG and Epic ( refunded after, had to test) and the issue occurs regardless of launcher.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Well, I'd did a clean install of steam when I reinstalled windows a few weeks ago to try and fix the issue.
I dont run the beta just default steam.
I also tried it on GOG and Epic ( refunded after, had to test) and the issue occurs regardless of launcher.
Hm... Could it be a hardware issue? Maybe a loose PCIe cable, or faulty RAM?

Top Bottom