Modding? Gothic 2 like style rpgs ?

+
Hey,
to keep it short...

Does anybody know of .. lets say - "lore neutral" fantasy rpg, which would be easily moddable ?
By lore neutral I mostly mean that main character is human with no extraordinary background, abilities, etc...

Something like Gothic 2 would be ideal, but I have never found any tutorials except some random German youtube whatever-doings.

List of game-types I am interested in:
- any Gothic game - as with the game itself - more older, the better
- any Risen game
- Assasin's Creed - again, the more older, the better

About the most obvious, Skyrim - does anybody have experience of creating somewhat bigger worlds and/or placing quite a lot of content ?
Does the kit workflow scale well with as the content grows ?
Is the kit user friendly and easy to learn enough for the projects to be finishable by mortals ?

Thanks for any responses :)

Just go to some of the general modding sites (like nexusmods), they should have a page that lists all of the games that have mods for them. Probably the best indicator of the ease and capability of modding a game is the number and variety of mods already available for a game.

Skyrim has a pretty flexible kit that is "easy" enough to learn/use that there are thousands of mods available for it ranging from texture packs to new regions and complete overhauls, where other popular games may have just a handful of mods which probably means that there is no official mod support or if there is that it is either difficult to use or is limited.

If you are new to modding go into it expecting to learn a lot, doing a full expansion is difficult and time consuming no matter how powerful and easy to use the tools are. Skyrim is known for its mod-ability, but some of the larger expansions take years for a team of people to make.

Guest 3945410

I was going to suggest 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance' until I read that you're only interested in older games.

Instead I'm just going to applaud your taste in RPGs. Gothic 1-2 are my all-time favorite ones, followed by the original Witcher.

Good luck on your project!

Hey,
didn't want to say this:
that you're only interested in older games.
I just meant that with Gothic and AC series, the more older the game is, the better - by means of quality.
Played like first 15 minutes of Gothic 3, but unninstaled it afterwards, because it lost it's atmosphere for me.

Kingdom come is good tip, thanks.
It is build up on cryengine and there were some talks about releasing some kit or whatever - is it still a thing ?
I mean - not some cosmetic things, but really the ability to create maps and quests.
Has it been already released ?
Do you know about state, in which releasing these tools is in ?

The first thing that jumps to mind is the the Dark Engine from the original Thief and Thief 2. This is something that would not be "open world" per say, but it's possible to do a pretty incredible amount of detail and very big environments. Probably not the type or variety of interaction you're going for, though.

Mount & Blade is not very user-friendly for modding (lots and lots of editing text files and writing script...not too many tools or user interfaces), but the base system allows for a lot, and it's more or less possible to do whatever you want: create custom maps, towns, battlefields / NPCs, scripted quests, etc.

I did about 4 years of modding for Morrowind when it first came out, and I've dabbled in Oblivion, Skyrim, and both Fallouts. I know the Construction Kit very well, but it's been a while since I've really used it. Details have probably changed since 2008. ;) I can certainly offer assistance to get you rolling. (Dealing with interior and exterior cells, creating land meshes, nav meshes, creating assets, organic / non-organic containers, quests, dialogues, journal entires, basic Papyrus scripting, etc.) Just let me know what the general idea is for what you want to do.

Top Bottom