My Kind of Game

+
My Kind of Game

When I saw this game in Best Buy today, I knew it was perfect for me. I had just finished Fallout3, I've played Oblivion and Morrowind, all excellent games, but I really liked the looks of this game. On the way home from physical therapy, today, I read the booklet describing the opening scenario and was hooked. But guess what, I'm somewhat handicapped and cannot play games using the keyboard, so on the PC, I use an XBox 360 Controller. The young man at Best Buy assured me that since this was a Game For Windows, it was guaranteed to work with the XBox Controller...he was wrong.Now I have done some searching on the web, and I can jump through some hoops and just maybe, I could make this game work with my wireless XBox controller. But guess what, I'm not going to do that. I'm too darned old, 68 next month, and hopefully I will find another great game to play on the PC. I'm sorry about that, because this game looks pretty darned special. So the game is going back to the store, and I will get my money back...I know, because I verified that before I left the store. Sort of irks me since I spent an hour or so loading the darned thing and registering it, etc. Oh well.So hiss on you, Developers, for not correcting people that sell your product that this is not an XBox controller compatible game.

I'm sorry to hear this JustJJ.However, I have to point out that this is not CDProject Reds fault. Not sure if this is Ataris (the Publisher) fault either.The main problem is that these "Games for Windows" labeled games actually rarely support all the functions they supposedly support.In theory, as you said, they should support XBox controllers and even multiplaying between the PC and the XBox.If I understood it correctly, it's Microsofts fault for not providing this, as the "Games for Windows" label is theirs.Looking around I've read that the XBox Controller support mentioned on the EE package was a misprint, according to Atari.After all this bad news, I do hope this next bit will make you happy.You should be able to play by using a program such as XPadder to assign key functions to your XBox controller.I seems that several forum users are able to play with this.For example, the last post in this thread: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10726.0I do hope you'll be able to play with the help of this, if you are unsure how to assign the keys, you could ask one of those that are playing this way.Edit:I noticed that the new XPadder version must be bought, therefore I've found you a older, free one:http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Xpadder/1148671810/1Also this following post gives a The Witcher game profile for XPadder and shows how to set it all up:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10726.msg484488#msg484488Good luck JustJJ!P.S. I'm also glad to see a fellow Morrowind player around here, may you walk on warm sand.

Thank you, The Silver. I had read comments about Xpadder and went to the site and saw it wasn't free and said to heck with it. You were very kind to find the free version for me. I'm not technically gifted, but I'll sure give it a try since I would like very much to play The Witcher. It's nice to know that if I get stuck setting up the controller there is help available.I tell everyone that games that Morrowind is the best game I have ever played. I have played it three times. There were times I would just go find a particularly nice stretch of the river and I would just stand there looking at the water and find a sort of peace. I've played many other games since then, but still remember it fondly. I didn't think Oblivion was nearly as satisfying.Again, thank you for your kindness. JJ

Remember that you can also play using your keyboard. I figure that if you can press controller buttons, maybe you could hit the keys, too? Just a thought. The game's worth it, btw.~ Roxy

While I understand that the people that make such great programs would like to be compensated, I'd also say to heck with it, JustJJ.I really hope that it will work for you!I agree, Morrowinds Atmosphere, for a Sandbox game, remains unchallenged!

I have a spine problem that prevents me from sitting up at a keyboard, Roxy. I use a really tiny wireless keyboard (made by Gyration) in my lap and wireless mouse when I get on the computer, but arthritis in my fingers prevents me from the type of quick response needed in a game. I can put a small pillow in my lap to prop my hands and a controller and use it much quicker than I can a keyboard becuse it is mostly used with the thumbs and forefinger. It is just easier for me because I have used one for so many years. Well, and I must include the fact that one good thing about using a controller is that when my cat jumps in my lap, it doesn't send a string of Xs and Os across the screen. :D I think the game will be worth it too, thanks.I sort of got the controller working, The Silver. It took me forever to figure out Xpadder. The instructions posted here didn't say you needed to take the controller through the key programing sequence to get it to accept the Proflie provided, but I finally smacked myself on the forhead and did that step. I'm already dead, trying to kill the first boss. I'm going to start over and try to save my strength and endurance. I can't figure out the sword yet, plus haven't been able to turn around so I'm always having to jump out of the way to keep from being attacked from the rear. I checked the manual with the game, and there is a key to do a 180, but it's not part of the profile for the Xbox Controller that I used. So far, I'm having a blast, thanks for the help..

do give it a whirl JustJJ because reaction time is actually not required to master this particular gaem :peace:

Thank you, Game Widow. I am learning that truth. I even considered trying using just the mouse. I can always tell when I have been sucked into a game because I can't stop thinking about it. I woke up last night and couldn't get back to sleep and lay there thinking about how I might be able to reprogram the Xbox controller to work better for me. Currently there are eight options on the D pad, the normal Up, Down, Right and Left, but also to the 4 corners. My clumsy fingers keep opening the Map or Inventory when I really just want to change Style. ::)

Does your controller give you a way to cast signs and a way to charge up those signs? Signs can be very, very useful for some battles, and later in the game, the charged-up versions are serious weapons.

It sure does, Corylea, and it's better than ever now. I knew I couldn't use the pre-programmed profile that I found here and created by Cypher. But his work was an inspiration and teaching tool for me. I had to learn how to do what he did and make my own Profile. For those new to the concept, it's a method using Xpadder that lets you assign keyboard keys as assigned in a game to the controller. For instance, I assigned the D-pad the functions of Strong, Fast, Group, and Sheath weapons to the four quarters.Those corresponded to the Z, X, C and Tab Keys for the game. As I mentioned earlier, Cypher had also assigned actions to the angles of that same D-pad and I kept clicking those by mistake, drove me nuts. What I did was print out all the keys assigned by the game and decide what I just couldn't live without and those that I could go into one button, and select what I needed, like Map, Inventory, etc. For instance, being able flip the camera quickly while in combat is something I wanted, so I assigned that to my Y button. Well, I think you get the idea.But I really want to brag. While messing around in all the goodies in Xpadder, I found the rumble feature and thought what the heck, why not, so I added it to that portion of the Xbox Controller which provides that feature. I love it! Brrrrrm, Yeah!I cannot express how much the support here has encouraged me. I was ready to give up, especially since my research showed that this game is supposed to come out this fall for the XBox. But I was stuck with the same basic reason I have not been using my systems, my husband. If I play on the PC, he can stay in the same room with me messing around on his laptop and watching TV on the better TV in the house. We can chat or not, and I can keep an eye on the TV when I'm not battling a monster.I have a few gamers on my chat website and I will certainly tell them about Xpadder and The Witcher. Some of them play with their children or grandchildren, so I know Xpadder will appeal to them. I'm thinking particuarly of a gal who has a high functioning 7 year old autistic son. They often play video games together,and a keypad would be beyond his expertise, but the Xpadder would be perfect. I also intend to go pay my thanks to the guy that created Xpadder, he's a hero.Thanks to all of you. JJ

JustJJ said:
I was ready to give up, especially since my research showed that this game is supposed to come out this fall for the XBox.
Actually, the release for consoles has been postponed indefinitely because of difficulties with a subcontractor. So it's good that you got the PC version to work for you! The rumble feature sounds pretty cool -- the witcher's medallion is supposed to vibrate, alerting him to the presence of monsters, so it's even realistic.I think this game might not be suitable for a seven-year-old. I don't know where you are in the game, but most of Chapter II involves solving a mystery, and I think some of the clues and necessary thought processes involved might be out of reach of the average seven-year-old. I'd suggest that a player be twelve, at minimum.I hope you have great fun with this game -- I adore it!

Oh no, Corylea, not The Witcher for the child, but many other games. There is an older child, 17, and a dad, that also play. This way, she can play with the younger boy on a computer when the dad and older boy are kicking rear on the TV. I know the boy loves Spyro. Me too! ;)Well, isn't that always the way...delaying production. I've been gaming since 1979, so nothing surprises me anymore. I actually remember that I got irritated when they added graphics to games, I thought it was a nuisance and too time consuming! :D Now I'm a graphic addict and love making them in Paint Shop Pro and Animation shop. How the mighty have fallen.

When me was a wee litle lad, me also liked Spyro! ;DI'm glad that you can play now JustJJ and happy that I could help.If you have any other questions, we're here to ask. ;)And I forgot, welcome to the forums, have a :beer:

Wee kid! I love Spyro...well, the earlier ones, the latter ones got funky.Thank you so much for pointing me down the right path, The Silver. I even went back into Xpadder today and tweaked my controller, I've lost my fear of messing up. Just a tip to everyone that is using a wireless controller...make sure the controller is active. These controllers will turn off if there is no activity for a while. I was messing around in Xpadder and thought I had messed up. Turns out that my controller had just quietly shut down. So just jiggle a key or press the on button to be sure it's available for the Xpadder to work on.I love this game!!

i am really pleased to hear you got all this working (not to mention impressed) and welcome to the addicts club ;D

Thank you Game Widow and Corylea. I have become so cocky that I went back into Xpadder and tweaked my settings to fit me more comfortably.I think it's important to point out that the mouse still works just fine, and when you do a Game Pause, you can use the mouse to go into the Inventory, map section, etc. and do what needs to be done. Just righit click on the mouse to make your selcection and undo the Game Pause and your man will take a potion or do whatever. I was concerned about that because I did not assign buttons to potions, but it is working just fine for me with the Pause feature.I'm busy killing spooky hounds and rescuing damsels in distess and having a blast. ;D

get myth II, here is a story from myth 3 and makes more sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkuUtnAhLSc&feature=relatedits on xbox and pc cost u like 10- 20 bucks max

Thanks, Wishwizard, I'll keep my eye out for it. Looks like there might also be a Myth III

Top Bottom