Next Gen

+
Next Gen

Can someone explain to me, what the point of talking about next gen is? As far as I understand it refers to the new consoles (PS4 and XBone), but what is new about them. They are technologically about an average to medium-high PC, so new technology can't be it, since on the PC we have been doing that for the last couple of years. New input isn't really an issue either, since there hasn't been a huge paradigm shift there either. What exactly is so special about next gen, besides, that the hardware isn't as outdated anymore as the last consoles were? I mean I understand, it is nice for console players to have newer hardware, but does it really change anything in the grand scheme of things? The only thing I could think of would be a really negative outlook, that consoles held the PC games development back a lot and won't so much anymore. But is that really it? And still, I don't see the point of calling it next gen, since it is rather current to a few years ago current gen.
I don't want to put consoles down, I just don't see, why we are talking about next gen games, when we talk about PC games such as TW3, since they will be primarilly on a platform, that consistenly changes ever so slightly, rather than making jumps.

"Next-gen"

What it means: The next generation of consoles.

What they want you to believe:
OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO HUMANITY!
WE HAVE 1 BILLION GDDR10 RAMZ OMG OMG OMG
This is a supercharged PC like something of 2015 or 2016, it's all over PCs are dead.
We have 10x better visuals than anything to ever possibly exists so far.

Tl;dr - Buzzwords, marketing, taking advantage of uninformed customers/consumers.
======================
//rant

It's good that they've finally got better hardware but this is most likely the weakest generation with hardware that's outdated from day 1.

Reptile and sid are absolutely right.
However, this new generation is good news for everyone, IMO, as now devs who make multiplatform games won´t be as restrained as before due to the very limited power of the PS3 and the Xbox 360 compared to modern PCs. We should see a quality jump in some PC games soon, I think.

Reptile and sid are absolutely right.
However, this new generation is good news for everyone, IMO, as now devs who make multiplatform games won´t be as restrained as before due to the very limited power of the PS3 and the Xbox 360 compared to modern PCs. We should see a quality jump in some PC games soon, I think.
^
For a few years this will hold true.

The real good news is they're on PC(x86) architecture now so porting won't be the hassle it was before with having 3 different architectures last gen with PC, 360 and PS3(x86, PowerPC, CELL respectively).

Funny I was reading how Battlefield 4 was gonna have some sort of shield item in a DLC but that idea was dropped because it was taking 1MB of RAM and that was too much for 360 and PS3.

So it is basically as I thought. Although I still feel that TW3 shouldn't be talked about as a next gen game, but rather a PC game, that is also ported to those consoles.
I am still hoping for open systems to conquer the living room. The future should really be in Linux based operating systems on exchangeable hardware, which allows both for the couch/controller experience as well as the desk/keyboard/mouse experience...

Well, you guys have already said everything I wanted to say. Which is nice. Saves me some time.

I'm not a graphics dude at all but I am pretty pissed off at them touting next gen when in fact it seems to only be "hey, tired of playing your games in medium settings? Well now you can enjoy them at high!" It's bullshit.

I long for the day when we won't talk about "next gen graphics" but instead focus on next gen game design. THAT is my dream. Because let me tell you, playing a boring shit game is equally dull regardless if it's on PS3 or PS4... A well designed game however, graphical fidelity is irrelevant. Good game design lasts forever.

Well, you guys have already said everything I wanted to say. Which is nice. Saves me some time.

I'm not a graphics dude at all but I am pretty pissed off at them touting next gen when in fact it seems to only be "hey, tired of playing your games in medium settings? Well now you can enjoy them at high!" It's bullshit.

I long for the day when we won't talk about "next gen graphics" but instead focus on next gen game design. THAT is my dream. Because let me tell you, playing a boring shit game is equally dull regardless if it's on PS3 or PS4... A well designed game however, graphical fidelity is irrelevant. Good game design lasts forever.

If you want next gen game design play the Sui Generis alpha. It's amazing and I've already spent about 40 hours in it since it was released to the alpha backers a few weeks ago. Truly one of the most innovative games I've ever played.

Top Bottom