[Patch 2.0] Cyberpunk 2077 encountered an error caused by a corrupted or incomplete game data and will now be forced to close.

+
As you can see on the title, I've been having this issue since patch 2.0 came out. Haven't played CP2077 for a couple of months and I don't have any mods installed on my last playthrough. I've tried clean installation from support instructions and still getting the same error. I also saw a thread here where they've logged out their account from the Redlauncher, I also tried this fix but still gives me the same issue. The one on the support page says missing scripts, mine says incomplete game data for some reason. I want to play CP2077 again since the new patch, but this is just driving me bananas.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 220520.png

I've also tried installing in different SSDs in my PC but still nothing.

As you can see on the title, I've been having this issue since patch 2.0 came out. Haven't played CP2077 for a couple of months and I don't have any mods installed on my last playthrough. I've tried clean installation from support instructions and still getting the same error. I also saw a thread here where they've logged out their account from the Redlauncher, I also tried this fix but still gives me the same issue. The one on the support page says missing scripts, mine says incomplete game data for some reason. I want to play CP2077 again since the new patch, but this is just driving me bananas.

View attachment 11363101

I have the exact same problem. I can recreate it every time too. Right after the character creator, basically the first load screen happens every time.

People on console are extremely limited in doing anything to try to fix these problems. I've tried it all, nothing works.
You're on console?
I'm on Series X, I play the game since Phantom Liberty is available, so since about 8 hours and no crash, at all. The game run fine :)

I'm on Series S and it's constantly crashing before the major boss fight with the Ghost in the Shell Spider mech.

For those on PC running Intel CPUs (i7 13700KF, stock settings for me): I was having this exact problem ~95% of the time when attempting to load into the game, whether through an existing save or a brand new game. The crash report produces a few different things, but most commonly an "Internal Kraken decompression error". I was able to almost completely fix it (it now happens <5% of the time) by disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS. YMMV.

For those on PC running Intel CPUs (i7 13700KF, stock settings for me): I was having this exact problem ~95% of the time when attempting to load into the game, whether through an existing save or a brand new game. The crash report produces a few different things, but most commonly an "Internal Kraken decompression error". I was able to almost completely fix it (it now happens <5% of the time) by disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS. YMMV.
you are godsent, I've been crashing constantly and i disabled hyperthreading and now my game works. TRY THIS FIX
Post automatically merged:

you are godsent, I've been crashing constantly and i disabled hyperthreading and now my game works. TRY THIS FIX
Update: i played the game for about an hour, then i got the popup again. The popup doesn't crash my game, however if you click yes or no it will close your game without saving. So the popup seems harmless, just don't click anything and the game continues to run. I don't believe you can go into any loading screens, or fast travel because the loading bar stops moving. I will continue to update my finds.

Last edited:
I also have the 13700KF and disabling the hyperthreading also worked for me.

Note, previously I had the message and was able to ignore it only if I had already loaded a game - which I often was not able to do. However, if I did ignore the message after a while playing the game would break and simply not load in textures as I moved around the city and I was left floating in an empty void so I had to close the game anyway.

You disabled cloud sync during the clean install?
Normally performing a clean install should fix these error (missing/corrupted/incomplet doesn't reallt matter).
It's when you launch the game? Load a save?
Yup disabled cloud sync as well. Didn't even copy the save files back to make sure nothing gets transferred and still nothing. Even during benchmark it gives the same error. I'm also making a new character for a new playthrough.

I'm currently using i9-13900k stock settings as well. Tried using your fix and still didn't work in my case. Managed to get past character creation but crashes as usual as soon as the game loads in. Also to add I tried installing on 3 different SSDs in my PC but still gives the error and crashes the game.

I also have the 13700KF and disabling the hyperthreading also worked for me.

Note, previously I had the message and was able to ignore it only if I had already loaded a game - which I often was not able to do. However, if I did ignore the message after a while playing the game would break and simply not load in textures as I moved around the city and I was left floating in an empty void so I had to close the game anyway.
Same thing to me, the game still crashes if I ignore the error message. Then rinse and repeat of the crashes.

Also tried creating a new user account on my pc just to check, still nothing and still crashes.

Last edited:
My suspicion is that this is a single symptom for multiple problems, all related to some kind of timing issue while loading resources off the disk (which primarily happens while loading a game or fast traveling). Disabling hyperthreading helps some in some cases, presumably by reducing the odds of hitting timing issues by restricting the number of threads that can run at one time. Possibly if we could operate off a single core everything would work great!:rolleyes:

I know other folks have said that lowering the clock speed multiplier for specific cores helped them, but I haven't had any luck with that approach myself. Utilities like OCCT may tell you if you have a specific core that's having trouble keeping up, but I don't get any errors from that utility, and I have found that touching any of the clock speed settings on any of the cores in any way on my rig causes the game to crash with 100% reliability (and different errors), so seems to make things worse rather than better for me.
For what it's worth this isn't a 2.0 issue, at least for me. I reinstalled the game last week (after a long hiatus) and it was happening on 1.65, also. I have a case with support, and will post again if they come up with anything. Nothing yet.

steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64 (Game.exe)
Run the game in compatibility mode windows 8 fixed it for me.

View attachment 11363101

steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64 (Game.exe)
Run the game in compatibility mode windows 8 fixed it for me.

I have had various phases of this issue with the 2.0 update.

I have never used mods.
Tried with old save and creating a new save.
Verified files (so many times)
Clean reinstalled game according to CDPR instructions (so many times)
All drivers up to date

I updated BIOS to most current version. The next time I ran the game, got the same crash. But after that, I tried launching again and did not receive the error at all (for a few days) until I installed Phantom Liberty.

Error still occurs, but so far only when loading a save. This is a "2.0 only" save. I have had times where I can ignore the error, click back on the game window, and just keep playing. Other times, the loading stops. I just played for two hours with the error screen going in the background. It's still there even after I quit the game.

In short, updating BIOS got the game running but this error still pops up at least once when trying to run the game and it's a process of brute forcing the game to start again.

I've verified, reinstalled, all of that and it has zero effect. I'm really not interested in altering the fundamental aspects of how my PC works (by changing hyperthreading or other BIOS settings) to play this, or any, game when I don't think the issue is the PC itself.

I would love to put in some kind of actual support ticket with CDPR, but I don't see that option anywhere.

Got an email from CDR regarding this issue and this is their response from my ticket. So far I haven't had any crashes after changing the settings from my BiOS. Not sure how this solved my issue, but it did so far. I haven't had any crashes so far so I'll let you guys know if this completely fixed the issue on my side.
Thanks for reaching out.

We are aware of this issue and looking into it.
I apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Please check possible workarounds for now:
* Set Power Limit (TJ max) for your CPU to 150W
* Reduce Long and Short Duration Package Power Limit to 150 W (Intel default is 253)
* Set the maximum CPU Core Temperature to 98°
* Reduce the P-Core ratio of the processor
* Deactivate Turbo Boost of the CPU

The above parameters can be changed in the BIOS or in the Intel XTU software.

Just an update, no longer had any crashes but had to tweak which of the settings recommended by CDR that worked for me since for example, deactivating Turbo Boost of my CPU did take some performance off and turning it on doesn't crash the game.

Among the things I've listed before I only changed a two things.
* Reduce Long and Short Duration Package Power Limit to 175 W instead of 150W
* Set the maximum CPU Core Temperature to 98°

The rest I kept it as it was. I initially had my Long and Short duration power limit on 253, so lowering it to 175 fixed it somehow.

Hope this fix helps others who have a similar problem.

I got the same advice, but wasn't willing to change all those settings without a better understanding of exactly how they interact (plus I finished the MSQ in Phantom Liberty and have (at least temporarily) moved on to other things). Support did describe this as a "known issue", though, so hopefully a full fix will be forthcoming. I still am not totally buying the idea that it's a temp issue, since the crash fairly regularly occurs at the initial splash screen, plus once the game's loaded it will often run for hours just fine with no stability issues, but who knows?

DC

Top Bottom