Permanent FPS drop after exiting menus or map?

+
I have an odd issue where the game normally runs near or at 60fps (60fps in game cap) with high GPU usage (not maxed though) but randomly if I either pause the game by going to the main menu or go to the inventory or map screen that when I exit the game will drop to a 30-40fps with 99% gpu usage and stay there like the game's rendering load suddenly increased any my system cannot keep up.

If I save my game and then exit to the main menu and reload my last save everything is back to normal. What could be going on?

I run the game at my monitor native res of 1680x1050 with DLSS Performance. Vsync set to 120 and in game fps set to 58. I run a modified custom graphics settings to decrease load so I can run RT reflections and RT local shadows. I get a 60fps average with these settings on the in game benchmark and if I never went to the map or inventory screens I would keep that near 60 95% of the time.

I have tried turning on/off Vsync, DLSS, lowering Cascade shadow distance and resolution and none of them will restore the FPS back except exiting to main menu and reloading save game.

I have am running Win 10 latest version and RTX 2060 6GB with latest drivers.

I have an odd issue where the game normally runs near or at 60fps (60fps in game cap) with high GPU usage (not maxed though) but randomly if I either pause the game by going to the main menu or go to the inventory or map screen that when I exit the game will drop to a 30-40fps with 99% gpu usage and stay there like the game's rendering load suddenly increased any my system cannot keep up.

If I save my game and then exit to the main menu and reload my last save everything is back to normal. What could be going on?

I run the game at my monitor native res of 1680x1050 with DLSS Performance. Vsync set to 120 and in game fps set to 58. I run a modified custom graphics settings to decrease load so I can run RT reflections and RT local shadows. I get a 60fps average with these settings on the in game benchmark and if I never went to the map or inventory screens I would keep that near 60 95% of the time.

I have tried turning on/off Vsync, DLSS, lowering Cascade shadow distance and resolution and none of them will restore the FPS back except exiting to main menu and reloading save game.

I have am running Win 10 latest version and RTX 2060 6GB with latest drivers.
Yep, have the same issue when having RTX on. Huge fps drops, when going into the menu or inventory. Without RTX everything is fine. I have a feeling that it might be so, that the game for some reason disables DLSS during these moments and it takes some time to activate it again, after you close them.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it is a DLSS issue. I run DLSS performance and if I turn DLSS off I get like 18-20fps. When this issue happens it drops me from 60 to 38-45fps.

Also I do not get any FPS drops in the menus and map themselves, it only happens when I exit them and not every time. I can do it several times with no issue but eventually it will drop FPS after exiting them.

6 GB of v-ram simply isn't enough to run the game with RT effects turned on. Eventually, the vram will be full, and after exiting menus or the map the framerate will be low.

How does full Vram cause the GPU usage to spike to 99%? Usually full vram would cause stuttering or other glitches. Dropping to Medium textures doesn't seem to make a difference and my vram usage is usually around 5.8GB or less. Again I run a low resolution as my monitor native res is 1680x1050 and I run in DLSS performance which drops the resolution even further (I know DLSS adds vram usage). Seems to me the game is just bad at memory management if somehow Vram can cause the GPU usage to spike after exiting menus.

How does full Vram cause the GPU usage to spike to 99%? Usually full vram would cause stuttering or other glitches. Dropping to Medium textures doesn't seem to make a difference and my vram usage is usually around 5.8GB or less. Again I run a low resolution as my monitor native res is 1680x1050 and I run in DLSS performance which drops the resolution even further (I know DLSS adds vram usage). Seems to me the game is just bad at memory management if somehow Vram can cause the GPU usage to spike after exiting menus.
Does that issue still appear without RTX at all?

I did think I tried medium textures but now thinking about it I don't believe I did. Checking vram usage during the game with High textures I do see times the Vram is at 5.9 or 6.0GB. I have dropped down to Medium textures and so far it seems fine and Vram has not exceeded 5.8GB. I am going to see how it handles prolonged play as it did seem the longer I played the more likely it would happen when exiting menus.

I did not try with RT off as I find that the game looks a lot worse without RT reflections and RT local lights. RT sun shadows and RT lighting did not make as much of a noticeable difference as those two RT settings, and SSR only just did not seem worth it to me.

Last edited:
How does full Vram cause the GPU usage to spike to 99%?
Simple. You capped your framerate at 60 fps, so your gpu doesn't need to work as much as before. GPU usage is lowered, caused by the artficial cpu limit due to the framerate cap. Now, if your vram is filled after a certain time, your gpu can't hold the 60 fps anymore hence it starts to work harder again - gpu usage rises again.

Dropped textures to Medium from High and played for a couple of hours going in and out of menus and map and doing multiple missions without issue. Seemed it was definitely a vram issue.

Top Bottom