Jackie's commentary on and Yorinobu Arasaka

+
One of the more interesting dialogues in the game happened as a quick side note and it's easy to miss during the heist. Jackie asks V what he/she thought about Yorinobu's decision to leave the wealth and privilege to run with gangs. Jackie calls him a "tourist" and I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this.

You can argue that being the heir to the empire carries its own weight and responsibilities but is that even equivalent to what others in Night City have to deal with, without the conveniences he enjoys? I understand Jackie's perspective, because for him there is no choice. Yorinobu can walk away to play gangster with limited resources, which still amount to more than a street punk would have at his disposal his entire life. Because of that it does come across as if he's cosplaying as a gangster, knowing that, if he wishes or fails he can return to his old life. For people like Jackie, there is no alternative.

I found his thoughts completely understandable. Jackie just being prideful and annoyed considering the life he got born into and especially the father he got in comparison, not to mention the struggle he has to go through to experience the 0.1% of what he thinks Yorinobu has.

In his eyes Yorinobu's just a privileged rich boy from Tokyo (thus the tourist comment) without any struggles whatsoever that has everything and wanted some excitement in his otherwise uneventful life by starting his own gang and then running back to his daddy when things got tough. After which he ended up so far away from his own home and landed in Night City where he keeps bossing other people around that ain't even his own.

Naturally none of the things Jackie thought about Yorinobu were true at all, but considering Jackie's background it's only natural he'll have extreme prejudice against Yorinobu and absolutely no respect for the man. Because Jackie in particular even though is our lovable sidekick, is an extremely flawed person in a lot of ways because of his background. The very flaws which ended getting him killed.

I really love both characters though, incredibly well written. I would've loved to see Jackie meet Yorinobu, I think he'd have massive respect for the man, perhaps even become friends.

Jackie calls him a "tourist" and I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this.

I understand Jackie's perspective, because for him there is no choice. Yorinobu can walk away to play gangster with limited resources, which still amount to more than a street punk would have at his disposal his entire life. Because of that it does come across as if he's cosplaying as a gangster, knowing that, if he wishes or fails he can return to his old life. For people like Jackie, there is no alternative.
I'm always reminded of that Pulp song "Common people" and I'd like to contradict the below quote a little.

Naturally none of the things Jackie thought about Yorinobu were true at all, but considering Jackie's background it's only natural he'll have extreme prejudice against Yorinobu and absolutely no respect for the man. Because Jackie in particular even though is our lovable sidekick, is an extremely flawed person in a lot of ways because of his background. The very flaws which ended getting him killed.

I really love both characters though, incredibly well written. I would've loved to see Jackie meet Yorinobu, I think he'd have massive respect for the man, perhaps even become friends.
Tourist in this sense means someone who comes in from the outside to experience the life for a limited period of time. Nothing to me says that Yorinobu intended on becoming a poor and helpless ganger. He wants to dismantle Arasaka, admirable goal. But the way he did it originally has some strong common people touristy vibes. It's only later when he goes from young and angry to older and wiser that he becomes something better.

Basically he was a tourist, he became something more.

I was thinking about that the other day because it's also interesting to contrast it with one of the dialogues V meets w/ Evelyn Parker. I think it's a reaction to V's dialogue choice about Yori just making a grab for power. Kind of writing him off. Evelyn then responds by asking V what she thinks it's like to be the son of an emperor "You have everything, yet you are no one, nothing. At least as long as you live in Saburo Arasaka's shadow." Empathetic and impactful.

I kinda wish there was a way to bring that idea back around when Jacki has that convo with V.

Inspite of that, Yorinobu can't not be a tourist in regard to his Steel Dragons period not matter how earnest is intentions. That's part of the privilege he was born into. But his intentions do count. I don't know that he becomes a "good" guy but better than his body snatching dad who casually considers nuking NC because he's feeling crabby... yeah, comparatively much better.

During the conversation when Jackie brings this up, if you choose the default dialogue, V will compare Yorinubo's situation with when Jackie left the Valentinos in which he'll be kind of upset and find it insulting.

But as characters within their own views and informations, Jackie views Yorinobu as a bored rich guy that wanted some thrills but finally returned to his fancy life when his "vacation" was finished, hence why the tourist comment imo.
It's kind of funny but in the end, Yorinobu was more of a rebel and edgerunner than Jackie ever wished to be.

This also reminds me that during the Tower ending, when talking with Delamain about Yorinobu managing to cripple Arasaka, one of the dialogue options from V will aknowledge that Yorinobu was a lot more than what he appeared to be, not just some tourist like Jackie said (not explicitely said like this but it's the idea).

Top Bottom