Playing Classic RPGs

+
I haven´t had much time to play BG recently, but as I had a minor surgery yesterday I took the day off work, so I picked it up a bit.

So, I´ve been doing stuff in the city proper for a while. Gotta say, the game really goes up from the moment you enter the city. I mean, I´d been enjoying the game so far but I thought it was nothing amazing, and then I entered Baldur´s Gate and it is awesome. The story becomes more engaging, the city feels very much alive, and it´s huge, with lots of things to see and explore.
To be honest, before I entered the city I was hoping the game would finish fast, so I could get into BG II. Now, I´m really enjoying it, so it doesn´t have to finish any time soon!

Yeah the first part of BG before the city opens can be a little confusing. Once you enter the city, things seem to flow together nicely and everything just makes more sense. You meet more interesting people who talk to you instead of right out attacking, and so on. You probably have your party set up by now but there are many NPC's in the city that may join you. Also be careful and save before entering random buildings, you never know what you will find :p

BGII keeps up this kind of interesting pace all game long. It's better balanced in that aspect, that's why it's such a gem.

Yeah, it does make more sense after I entered the city.

Now I´m done with that part (the final battle there took me a few times to win!) and I´m back at Candlekeep. Looking forward to see what happens now!

The main quest line takes you back to Candlekeep and eventually you get back outside and know who to face next. This is when I take a detour and go to Ulgoth's Beard to complete the expansion quests including Durlag's Tower.

After that, you can go back to Baldur's Gate and start the final stretch.

Be prepared. Tales of the Sword Coast is a juicy, old-school expansion taking up more than 10 hours.

Whats the opinion on Arcanum? Been looking at that for a while. I don't enjoy old D&D combat anyway, so is this game like Planescape where you can largely avoid a lot of the combat?

How's the setting and characters? Do they hold up to Planescape or BG2?

Arcanum can be off putting at first(first area is terrible, visualy unimpresive at first look etc.) but my advise is to stick with it. The setting is very interesting, the atmoshpere is good. It's more like Fallout than PS:T or BG2 in design, but if you like Fallout1+2, you will like Arcanum as well. It's not a combat focused game which is good because combat is atrocious.

It has one of the most diverse and interesting character creation systems, which allows you to create every kind of character you can think about, from a mad inventor to mages, and gunslingers. But the system is broken with many OP options(which can be a good thing as it allows you to bypass the combat somewhat)

All in all, definently a clasic and worth at least a playthrough. But if you are one of these people that "PS:T is a bad game because gameplay is more importand to me than everything else", stay clear. Arcanum has worst combat than NWN2, and that's saying something.

Characters in general aren't as fleshed out as BG or PST but there are some genuinely entertaining ones, i'd make your first playthrough as a mage for an easier time of it, the themes of the game are very strong, the soundtrack is the fucking dogs bollocks, the reactivity of the world and the numerous ways of achieving objectives are very well done.

There are some nightmare areas however that need some preparing for or they'll stop you playing and prompt a big fuck this, Black Mountain mainly. So do those sidequests, explore and prepare. Oh and plan your build as you'll not be super powerful at the end, merely master of a skill or two and competent in a couple others.

The "evil" path is totally viable with much unique content.

Volsung said:
The main quest line takes you back to Candlekeep and eventually you get back outside and know who to face next. This is when I take a detour and go to Ulgoth's Beard to complete the expansion quests including Durlag's Tower.

After that, you can go back to Baldur's Gate and start the final stretch.

Be prepared. Tales of the Sword Coast is a juicy, old-school expansion taking up more than 10 hours.

Great, thanks for the heads up!

So I received a Wasteland 1 "gift" from inXile for backing Wasteland 2, but the only options for download are Steam or GOG.com. If I want the Linux version, I have to choose Steam. If I want DRM-free, I have to choose GOG. I backed Wasteland 2, among other things, expecting a DRM-free Linux game and although Wasteland 1 is a nice extra I would also like to be able to run it in Linux DRM-free.

So what do you all think?

PS: WTF is GOG waiting for? Add Linux versions of games!

.Volsung.: Try contacting inXile with this issue. They seem like a reasonable bunch, and may be they'll provide other ways of getting Wasteland 1 for Linux (Humble Store for example?).

Interestingly, there was a recent release - Race The Sun on GOG, and developers provided a code with the purchase, which allows getting the Linux version directly from them for free.

This is fantastic! I might get to play Shadowrun Returns after all :) I'd like a Linux version too though.

Perhaps the Humble Store might work?

They release DRM free versions for backers from their site. So may be they'll just start releasing them for everyone. But I'd prefer HB since I have an account there already.

Ok, I started playing the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion content for BG I. Went to the island where they found that shipwreck, to investigate it. Those damn
werewolves
are tough!!! The fights inside the wreckage itself were particularly hard, mainly due to my party appearing anywhere whenever I climbed some stairs, lol!

So now I went back to the initial village in the island and it turns out that
I´ve turned into a werewolf myself, and now half the village wants me dead!

I´m really enjoying this part of the expansion! After I´m done with this island, off to Durlag´s Tower (which I understand is quite tough as well).

Well, I finally managed to finish Baldur´s Gate I. What a ride!
The endgame content can get really tricky. It took me several tries to win the final battle (although after doing the TotSC content, it´s not as impressive... damned Demonknight!!!).
I really liked the ending cutscene. It was simple, but the final scene with all the statues was stunning.

Now I´m going into BG II. I´ve started it, although I´ve just played like the first 10 minutes. It already feels quite different from BG I, with a different vibe somehow... I´m pretty excited about it!

Top Bottom