Playing Classic RPGs

+

Guest 2091327

Same with the Hive Dwellers btw. Even these lads and lasses are quite unique.

Okay, finally decided to download PST. Gonna do a little head start, if no one minds, so I can get "the grasp" of this game.

I remember restarting the game multiple times until I was pleased with my initial character attributes. I played the mortuary multiple times up to the point of getting out to the city. So yes, all of you community players, it's not a bad idea to mess around with it for a while before you start your actual playthrough.

OK, continuing here.

Volsung said:
Dona,
Sorry I came out as rude and douchy, I meant to point out that these classic computer RPG's contain little to no grinding, a concept I learned recently from action and japanese RPG's. What might delay somebody's play through is, instead, exploration and interaction. Sorry again, I've been in a strange mood lately. I'll be happy to help you guys in what I can.
Dearg,
That is probably the most logical division of the game, by areas. Good job.
What people could do is decide how much time they want to spend in each general location, by voting when to move on to the next area. Some will probably do more than others, but that's just how the game is.
Two suggestions: let's move over to playing classic rpg's, and to everyone involved in this community playthrough: read ALL text and dialogues. It is both important to understand the game and actually quite good, above the average fantasy novel level.
Naw, it's OK, I honestly don't know much about it so I just said grinding as example. I mean, people managed to grind in The Witcher 2... anything is possible XD;

Daerg's division it is. I suggest we start the first week of September and then see how well we sync? I definitely want to play it for the story and, although I never do it, I might consider Cory's suggestion to modding stats if it becomes too tough. I installed the mods as recommended in a guide on gog.com, so I think there might be some restored quests? I am not too sure.

I played it just a little a few months ago and was amazed at how each zombie had unique dialogue :) It's gonna be great, whee.

Dona said:
OK, continuing here.

Dearg's division it is. I suggest we start the first week of September and then see how well we sync? I definitely want to play it for the story and, although I never do it, I might consider Cory's suggestion to modding stats if it becomes too tough. I installed the mods as recommended in a guide on gog.com, so I think there might be some restored quests? I am not too sure.

I played it just a little a few months ago and was amazed at how each zombie had unique dialogue :) It's gonna be great, whee.
It's a reasonable thing to play this game for the story, so no one will mind if you mod your stats to make the (sometimes pretty hard) combat easier. I used the GoG modding guide too, and yes, there's some restored content, bugfixes, etc.

It is a really detailed game, have fun, all of you. ;)

Dona said:
I played it just a little a few months ago and was amazed at how each zombie had unique dialogue :)
THIS. The Mortuary alone blew my mind, I restarted the game at least three times to try out all the options and different dialogues (I love the fake zombie guy :D).

Dearg's division seems okay to me, but similarly to Dona, I don't really know the game and I've only played it till the Hive part. I can't wait to begin our synchronized playthrough! Until then, I'll check out this modding guide too because I only have some basic mods and fixes installed, such as the widescreen patch.

Guest 2091327

Pangaea said:
Same with the Hive Dwellers btw. Even these lads and lasses are quite unique.

Talked to a 'random' Hive Dweller, and she gave me a ring for something I apparently did for her. What the...

Re: combat difficulty. It isn't hard, for the vast majority of the game. There comes a point where it's pretty darn tough, but the thing is, you can mostly run away from fights if you don't want to fight (make sure always run is on). Right now I'm playing with a character that couldn't be worse for fighting, but he's doing quite allright.

Due to how this game is designed and played, I wouldn't call boosting strength and such cheating, but I kinda like that there is a genuine choice in character builds here (as opposed to Witcher 1 and ME for example, where you can more or less have everything). Besides, well... (since this is mentioned in the manual it shouldn't spoil anything) you can't really die. Since that alone sets this game miles apart from anything else on the market (that I know anyway), I actually like to die sometimes to get into the role more.

One shouldn't overlook at the ability to mould your character as it levels up either. You get 1 free point you can spend on whatever you want for every level, which means you can max at least one more attribute throughout the game.

Are anybody else playing the game right now, or am I the only one who have started early?

When I played the game for the first time, I mostly followed the modding guide but did not install the restored content, thinking that the game was already plenty long, and I wanted to see the stuff that was good enough to make the final cut, not the stuff that had been left out because it wasn't quite good enough.

Has anyone played both versions enough to know what's IN the restored content? How do you like it? Should I add it or is the game stronger without it?

Corylea said:
When I played the game for the first time, I mostly followed the modding guide but did not install the restored content, thinking that the game was already plenty long, and I wanted to see the stuff that was good enough to make the final cut, not the stuff that had been left out because it wasn't quite good enough.

Has anyone played both versions enough to know what's IN the restored content? How do you like it? Should I add it or is the game stronger without it?
Ehh...I can only confirm some new dialogues (they are pretty good), and a few additional items. I'm sure there are more, but I can't really remember them.

(Although the whole list of restored content can be found here: http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/pst-ub)

It all fits quite nicely, and adds a bit of content for when you return to the Cage.

It's mostly wrap up stuff concerning Deionarra and her legacy, to access the content you will have to save one of Ravel's black barbed seeds from her secret garden. There will also be a locked closet in your chambers in the halls of the Sensates, that you will eventually open.

OK, so I got interested in playing PST as well, and decided to download it, with all the mods listed in the GOG.com tutorial. So he first thing was to download Widescreen. I got it downloaded, "sent" it to the "Torment" folder, yet I never get the option to put into the monitors (X/Y), and only a blackscreen shows up with "Error" all over it.

The tutorial says to type "I" and then ENTER, but nothing happens. Anyone can help?

And also, it's a torrented PST, not bought from the GOG.com site. Would this hinder the installation of mods?

TheFieryKnight said:
And also, it's a torrented PST, not bought from the GOG.com site. Would this hinder the installation of mods?
Moderator: We don't help thieves with games they've stolen.

Sorry Fiery Knight but i'm in agreement with Corylea here, it's not like GOG is expensive, burdens you with drm or stints on the extras.

Has the recent podcast on Eurogamer with the creators of Torment been posted yet? If so, sorry for the repeat.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-planescape-torment-a-podcast-post-mortem-with-the-games-makers

Blothulfur said:
Sorry Fiery Knight but i'm in agreement with Corylea here
It's not just my opinion; assisting pirates is against the forum rules as I understand them; sorry I didn't make that clearer.

I'll go back and put it in red, to make it clearer that I'm speaking as a moderator and not just as my usual loquacious self. ;)

Corylea said:
It's not just my opinion; assisting pirates is against the forum rules as I understand them; sorry I didn't make that clearer.

I'll go back and put it in red, to make it clearer that I'm speaking as a moderator and not just as my usual loquacious self. ;)

I understand and support you. I was actually the first one to vote him down :p

It makes me ANGRY that people will pirate a venerable game like Planescape: Torment, especially when it is available from a DRM-free vendor like GOG. I once heard about someone who pirated The Witcher 2 "because he wanted to buy Skyrim". SERIOUSLY?

I think it is disgusting that people will pay money for Steam games (basically rented) but pirate DRM-free games.

Fiery Knight: I'm sure you have $9.99 so get the GOG version and support the distribution of good old games. If you don't, you simply are destroying their legacy.

Guest 2091327

:(

I got all excited with new replies in this thread because I thought more people were playing Torment, and then it was just a pirate.

From time to time GOG have offers too, so you can get it for less than 10 Yankees if you can't afford that. Probably cheaper to buy it boxed somewhere too, but the GOG version really is great, with the extra stuff and being DRM free.

I do highly recommend to download the mods though, and the latest version (4.13 or thereabouts). Then there is a fix for the widescreen mod, which should make it crash much rarer when entering small buildings and the like. It still happens, at least on my laptop, but not as frequently as without the fix. I actually fixed it manually before because a friendly chap on the GOG forum told us exactly how to do it (hex editing a couple of values), but the latest update to the fixpack sorts it out without such magic skills.

My playthrough is steadily progressing in the Hive, running errands and talking to everyone. It's amazing how many of the hive dwellers are far from random fillers, but unique people. They have truly put their souls into this game :)

Pangaea said:
Then there is a fix for the widescreen mod, which should make it crash much rarer when entering small buildings and the like. It still happens, at least on my laptop, but not as frequently as without the fix.
Thanks for mentioning that! I had no idea that the mods for this game were still being updated that frequently; that's amazing.

Corylea said:
I had no idea that the mods for this game were still being updated that frequently; that's amazing.

Updates to mods/patches became sporadic for a while, but with it being re-released on Gog and the apparent revival of Obsidian classics they stared up again. I decided to do a run through IWD2 recently and the mods/patches were still being updated.

I hoping the same will happen with KoTOR2 as interest is stirred again in addition to them finally completeing the TSL restore mod.

I will have to apologize for not mentioning that it is legal here (Canada) from where I've from. I understand you're upset on what my behavior looked like. I hate pirates as well, and even though it is legal here, I do tend to buy the games later on. I'm not an asshole like most pirates. I own both TW1 & TW2 (on PC and Xbox) and those I have never pirated.

NOTE: Of course, I could be lying so that you guys would eventually help me with my problem, and I'm not judging you for that. But since I really want to play PST with all the mods, and I can't get it working by myself, I shall return later with proof that I've bought PST from GOG.com so you can then help me with this.

Again, I do apologize.

Forum veteran
TheFieryKnight said:
I will have to apologize for not mentioning that it is legal here (Canada) from where I've from.
From what I understand, torrents are legal there but using them to download copyrighted works is still illegal.

You won't regret spending the money on Torment. I've only heard of one or two people ever not liking the game, and that's from gamers on the internet. You might as well try to pacify a wild lynx while wearing a meat jacket, because pleasing a large swath of gamers is about that difficult.

Top Bottom