Problems with the Weapon Mods

+
Okay, I get why you did this. Finding weapons is now somewhat more exciting because you are rummaging for THAT weapon with two mod slots empty, but these seem to be excessively rare. And if you find a weapon with two slots, most of the time some gonkhead put in some garbage tier 2 mod.

But one thing really brought me here: I found an LMG, the MH-7-bla-bla, the one with the explosive rounds—you know, the rounds that explode when they hit a surface? Well, it had a 20% extra ricochet damage mod installed, in a gun that can't ricochet. But your weapon mod system thinks "this is a power weapon so it gets power weapon mods!". I think you need to do something about it.

Overall, the mods seem a bit boring; I think I've seen them all. - You could have done more with it. The restrictions feel, well, restrictive, and the variety is very small—two for each weapon category and some generic ones. You could have gone more overboard with that. Maybe not damage, but fire selection mods that give something extra, elemental mods that interact with cyberware better, completely crazy mods that turn weapons into a different category—for example, an iconic mod that turns a weapon into a smart weapon. There is so much potential with the mods, but you chose the boring and sterile path.

Oh, and all of that gets intensified by the fact that we cannot remove mods anymore. But this also plays into the illusion to constantly be on the lookout for new weapons. It's padding and a workaround to not have to make more content to balance for the weapons. Just let the player tread water until they get lucky, am I right?

Okay, I get why you did this. Finding weapons is now somewhat more exciting because you are rummaging for THAT weapon with two mod slots empty, but these seem to be excessively rare. And if you find a weapon with two slots, most of the time some gonkhead put in some garbage tier 2 mod.

But one thing really brought me here: I found an LMG, the MH-7-bla-bla, the one with the explosive rounds—you know, the rounds that explode when they hit a surface? Well, it had a 20% extra ricochet damage mod installed, in a gun that can't ricochet. But your weapon mod system thinks "this is a power weapon so it gets power weapon mods!". I think you need to do something about it.

Overall, the mods seem a bit boring; I think I've seen them all. - You could have done more with it. The restrictions feel, well, restrictive, and the variety is very small—two for each weapon category and some generic ones. You could have gone more overboard with that. Maybe not damage, but fire selection mods that give something extra, elemental mods that interact with cyberware better, completely crazy mods that turn weapons into a different category—for example, an iconic mod that turns a weapon into a smart weapon. There is so much potential with the mods, but you chose the boring and sterile path.

Oh, and all of that gets intensified by the fact that we cannot remove mods anymore. But this also plays into the illusion to constantly be on the lookout for new weapons. It's padding and a workaround to not have to make more content to balance for the weapons. Just let the player tread water until they get lucky, am I right?
I'd settle for the being able to upgrade installed mods. Say I get a T5++ weapon with a T2 Pax installed I want to be able to upgrade the mod with the T5 Pax I have in my inventory.

Clothing in specific locations could roll implicit mods in the old system and I think that should be added to guns now that it's been revamped. Also just let us unslot mods for a fee or something, the current system feels really bad and i caved and just modded it so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

The problem with modding it is what do you change? If you enable upgrades of non iconics it invalidates all rarity of guns, if you allow removable mods it invalidates it as well. It may as well be cosmetic at that point, but it's better than never getting the gun you want let alone the skin you want for it.

I played 1.6 mostly vanilla, that means I engaged with the old gear system and didn't enable crafting without having to take tech. I enjoyed gearing up even on characters that did not take tech or did not spec it until last. However the new system is intolerable to me.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering, i just used a mod to enable mod swapping and it made my game experience much more pleasant.

There's also these 2 mods that are very helpful Unequip Mods & Upgrade Weapons Unlocked especially if you want to play non-lethal with silent weapons for example

In my current playthrough, I have dispensed with anything to gimmick weapon mods, and I'm finding it not as senseless as it first seemed. Many of the weapons you find have inappropriate mods [Tier 1 mod on a Tier 3+ gun, or Pax mods on nearly anything], but I notice the weapons you can buy in shops are free of mods, so you can attach what you like. I start collecting weapon mods from the beginning of the game, and by the time I can find Tier 3+ or Tier 4 weapons, I have a nice selection to use. Breaking down 'badly modded' weapons for crafting materials is now a habit, esp. now that you can only 'upgrade' non-Iconics by replacing them.

Top Bottom