Purify feels a bit too good

+
I forget who said it but it goes something like this

"Cards games are about questions and answers, you want people to be presented with a range of answers but you don't want them to always have the perfect answer to any question"

The idea being there should be many ways to deal with things but few perfect ways.

I know some people will likely point out purify is barely played these days but that's more due to the Meta in my opinion.

So to illustrate the problem here's what Purify is an answer to.

Poison
Lock
Doomed
Enemy unit with vitality
Allied Unit with bleeding
Enemy unit with a shield
I think it's even a solution to enemy resilient units.

For me Pellar has replaced Mahakan ale in most of my decks to use for unlocking units mostly simply because He also allows me to set up other stuff by removing shields and vitality or bleeding.

I'm almost expecting a Meta shift to seeing Scoia'tel decks running Dryad's caress due to it's ability to purify units and then give them 6 vitality.

With Purify it feels like it's just a better answer most of the time. With Mahakan ale you run the risk of pushing a unit into territory where the enemy thinks heavier removal is worth it or if you have no locked unit the 4 boost doesn't feel like it's much value.

I do get that with more units that can lock units there needs to be more options to unlock than Ale and Aguara but Purify just seems like it's too useful and too much of a solution when purify also unlocks units along with all its other uses.

I know some people will likely point out purify is barely played these days but that's more due to the Meta in my opinion.

It is because statuses are too situational.
- You forgot to mention Immunity, but that can only be countered by a row Purify which is too situational and a 0 point play.
- No one is undooming a unit because it's a 0 point play and only belongs in a meme deck.
- Vitality is not a threat and can be dealt with by removing the unit or by resetting it to base strength.
- Bleeding is rarely used and is also not a threat.
- Shielded units are either ignored or pinged.
- Resilience isn't played much and can be countered by sniping the unit.
- Poison is rarely being used.
- Locks, well, engines usually get sniped, instead. Some players run one lock, but no more.

Purify is a solution to everything that isn't really a problem to begin with or to everything that can be dealt with in a more reliable way.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
It is because statuses are too situational.
- You forgot to mention Immunity, but that can only be countered by a row Purify which is too situational and a 0 point play.
- No one is undooming a unit because it's a 0 point play and only belongs in a meme deck.
- Vitality is not a threat and can be dealt with by removing the unit or by resetting it to base strength.
- Bleeding is rarely used and is also not a threat.
- Shielded units are either ignored or pinged.
- Resilience isn't played much and can be countered by sniping the unit.
- Poison is rarely being used.
- Locks, well, engines usually get sniped, instead. Some players run one lock, but no more.

Purify is a solution to everything that isn't really a problem to begin with or to everything that can be dealt with in a more reliable way.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

The issue is at present the push seems to be to nerf removal which is at present the best answer so purify will likely become the better answer after.

Top Bottom