Question about mulligans/redraws (What happened to card advantage?)

+
I feel like they changed a significant part of Gwent...

It used to be such that if you had more cards than your opponent, you'd carry that advantage into the next round. Unless I'm misremembering, I don't remember drawing so many cards. I feel like sometimes you'd lose round 1, then play 1 card in round 2, and have a card advantage, but then in the last round, my opponent and I both had 10 cards each, even though I played about 2-3 fewer cards that match.
To summarize my confusion.

1. Is card redraw fixed? If so, how many between rounds? (Up to 10 max)

2. How many mulligans do you get in each round?

Card draw and mulligans are interrelated.

- 3 draws (max) / 2 mulligans
- 2 draws / 3 mulligans
- 1 draw / 4 mulligans
- no draw / 5 mulligans

If you are on blue coin for the 1st round you get an extra mulligan (3 for the round)

Blue coin means first player?

Nevermind, I misunderstood.
You always redraw up to 3 cards?
So every round you get a total of 5 actions (3-x) cards drawn or (2+x) mulligans where x can be cards you didn't draw. All right. Or for round 1, you get 3 redraws instead of 2 if youre first player

Last edited:
Blue coin means first player?

Nevermind, I misunderstood.
You always redraw up to 3 cards?
So every round you get a total of 5 actions (3-x) cards drawn or (2+x) mulligans where x can be cards you didn't draw. All right. Or for round 1, you get 3 redraws instead of 2 if youre first player

Exactly

The question about card advantage hasn't been explicitly mentioned. So, allow me. Card advantage is still relevant, but only at certain points. The first one is with 7 cards in hand (and the opponent usually having 6 cards) or vice versa. If you pass then, you can draw to 10 cards and the opponent to 9. This means that the one with the least amount of cards will run the risk of losing card advantage, if they want to bleed in the second round.

The second and final breaking point is with 4 cards. You can dry-pass in round 2, to draw to 10 cards again in round 3. However, there is an alternate variation. You can go down multiple cards in round 1. So long as to have 4 or more cards in hand at the end of the round, you do not lose card advantage This does mean you cannot bleed in the second round, but you can force a long third round with equal cards.

Top Bottom