Remember Me

+
Remember Me

I saw these images and thought of Macleod and his happy, pretty Night City. Disgusting. ANYway, we've mentioned this before, but June is only a month (!) away and perhaps it is worthy of our magnificent attention.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553236

http://andriasang.com/con286/remember_me/

"Remember Me puts players in the role of Nilin in 2084's Neo-Paris. Nilin is a former elite "memory hunter" who can break into people's minds and steal or alter their memories. Fearing Nilin's knowledge and capabilities, the authorities have arrested her and wiped her memory clean. She escapes prison and, hunted by the people who created the surveillance society, begins a search for her identity."

http://gotgame.com/2011/10/10/dontnod-adrift-thinking-outside-the-box/#.UYNNBcqB15l

Thoughts? Gonna buy it? Worried that by the time 2077 comes out, people may be a little overdosed on future-dystopias?

The settings and the combat are interesting but the dialogue is too cheese...that said I will probably get it when it drops to 10 bucks.

I saw these images and thought of Macleod and his happy, pretty Night City. Disgusting.

Well, to me personally, the grimy gritty future - a future where more than often there's several scenes in some dirty wet street with people scraping by, where there's smog and garbage, and so on, but a future that hasn't gone through a complete apocalypse - is to me personally so overused.

Blade Runner, Escape From New York, Robocop, Alien (although it does take place on a ship), The Running Man, Total Recall (the Mars part of it), Demolition Man (the underworld), Johnny Mnemonic, Strange Days, The Matrix (outside the Matrix of course), just to name a few that I can remember, as a reference to what I mean. I'm sure there are plenty more with same kind of thematic influences. And yes, there are of course plenty of "clean" future movies out there.

I'm just partial towards those, because for me they're much more a dystopia, than the aforementioned grimy and gritty futures, which seem much more like actual reality. When you've got a clean shiny Night City, the strangeness and weirdness and evil that lurks below the surface, to me at least, becomes so much more potent, than if you'd be trying to bombard the mind with despair and poverty and all that shit.

And, like I've said before, that's how we always saw Night City, for some reason. That's how we interpreted the text and visuals in the books. We didn't see a rainy dirty oily gritty back alley, but the shining neon lights, plastic and chrome of central Night City.

As for this game... I'm not a big fan of "over the shoulder" third person adventure shit. I played the original Tomb Raider back when it came out in 1996, it being one of the first in this genre, before these games really even came to consoles. It was a fun distraction from other games on the PC, but it never hooked me in any way. Nor have any of the other ones I've played since on the PS or Xbox. I've even got Splinter Cell for my (original) Xbox, but I mainly like that because you get to sneak around and assassinate people.

Forum veteran
Huh, I just randomly remembered this game the other day and wondered when it was coming out. Good timing. The main character seems less like a damsel in distress than in the last video of this game I saw (which was waaaay back), so that's good news given how few games have *good* lead female protagonists, but seriously... people who have consumed so many memories that their DNA mutated?

I've always been big on superheroes and stuff so I don't have a particularly high bar for realism, but that sounds really, really stupid. I'll probably wait for some reviews to cross-reference what they say about the strength of the story before deciding on this one, though I'm learning toward "buy" right now because of a Planescape-inspired predilection for stories revolving around memories.

It seems like a good game but for some reason i get the feeling it's story will be a let down.. I hope i'm wrong and they will make a game as good as it sounds.

This segment is more appealing to me. It shows an interesting mix of AA combat, DX tech lore and the ol' 'gotta get my memory back' cliche. The games it borrows from are pretty obvious. As others have said, the writing concerns me most. There was an earlier trailer featuring some cheesy American baddy spouting ridiculous lines. After playing Mars: Warlogs as well as numerous Japanese games over the years, it's become painfully clear foreign devs need to start investing in quality localization if they want to up their standing in the US market. If the game has a free-roaming hub structure and solid combat, I might give it a try.

Aditya

Forum veteran
I already pre-ordered, there are hardly games with a decent female protagonist, here's hoping this one is decent. Besides there is nothing else good coming out till the almost end of the year, and I'm already on my god-knows-what playthrough of TW2

I already pre-ordered, there are hardly games with a decent female protagonist, here's hoping this one is decent. Besides there is nothing else good coming out till the almost end of the year, and I'm already on my god-knows-what playthrough of TW2

Thats true there isnt much coming out this year. Tho only thing that I dont like about RM is combat system. its pretty silly game should be called Spiderwoman.

I am interested in this game, the art direction which has adorned my desktop for what seems like years is beautiful. Good art direction can draw me in to a game, yes.
I had no desire to play Bioshock : Infinite and then i saw screenshots of it. Of course Infinite has more than just gorgeous art direction, nevertheless i don't need more than that to spark interest.

I found Infinite's art..uninspired. Or perhaps lacking in my kind of inspiration. I was playing Torment again at the time, so that may have coloured my perspective. Remember Me has more interesting art direction, I think.

Nillin's character design doesn't grab me. Too grubby/punkish looking. The environments look great though.

Thats true there isnt much coming out this year. Tho only thing that I dont like about RM is combat system. its pretty silly game should be called Spiderwoman.

sounds about right lol

I found Infinite's art..uninspired. Or perhaps lacking in my kind of inspiration. I was playing Torment again at the time, so that may have coloured my perspective. Remember Me has more interesting art direction, I think.

wait what?! clearly you need to think over again. Inifnite was nothing short of amazing. There are very games that live upto the hype and Infinite is one of them.

Nillin's character design doesn't grab me. Too grubby/punkish looking. The environments look great though.
I like punkish! :D

There are threads discussing infinite so suffice to say here that 'uninspired' is the most inaccurate word you could've chosen here

Nope! Eye of the beholder and all that. Infinite's art seemed very much a pastiche and lacking in elan. Whatever the difference between "copied" and "inspired" is, they fell over onto the copied side. Boring as hell. There are threads elsewhere, so I'll offer up this brief, reasoned defense:
"Naaaaaahhh!"

Nope! Eye of the beholder and all that. Infinite's art seemed very much a pastiche and lacking in elan. Whatever the difference between "copied" and "inspired" is, they fell over onto the copied side. Boring as hell. There are threads elsewhere, so I'll offer up this brief, reasoned defense:
"Naaaaaahhh!"
Oh is that so mister Art connoisseur ? Provide me with examples of how it felt copied to you and how, contrary to the very core of videogame development ,'interation' a bad thing can be if such a thing were the case. And it was to a degree with the turn of the century allures, the classical paintings littered around the place demonizing Lincoln and other people, the propaganda posters. That is taking a certain flair, applying it your own (gorgeous) color-palette and mixing it all together.
uninspired would imply that that it would have wholesale copied something else and put it in with no regard towards its own identity.

And 'Eye of the Beholder' is another way of saying 'it's my opinion, so you have no right to critize me'. I do have a right, and ideas don't exist in a vacuum.

Top Bottom