[Rockerboy] How to approach it in a game?

+
Well. WELL. I'd really like to see some Role-specific quests and dialogue options. Using Interlock Unlimited's multi-role system, you would have a primary Role and some secondaries. This gives you all the options you need for skills AND lets the game lock onto your primary ( and maybe even sec.) Role for in-game attitude and choices.

I want my Rockerboy to start in the gutter and end in a penthouse, covered in synthcoke and twitching in a no-cutout illegal braindance as the sun sets behind the huge glass wall of his digs.

I want my Solo to look up at those people and calculate trajectories of impact as he makes his way back to his coffin-hotel.

I want my Fixer to watch both of them from the third floor of the bar he owns just before he opens up for the night.

I can only say: YES!

Well. WELL. I'd really like to see some Role-specific quests and dialogue options. Using Interlock Unlimited's multi-role system, you would have a primary Role and some secondaries. This gives you all the options you need for skills AND lets the game lock onto your primary ( and maybe even sec.) Role for in-game attitude and choices.

You say these wonderful things... but you didn't vote for IU.... makes me so sad... :p

I really, really want Rockerboys and Medias to be playable. If the game engine can take many NPCs moving on screen using the Rockeroboy's charismatic leadership and Nomands' family could be amazing.

I see the Rockerboy starting like a Kenji from 20th Century Boys, singing lame songs with a good message on alleys and underground stations, rarely catching the attention of some passersby that sometimes drop a coin out of a pretended sense of charity, more rarely paying attention to what you say and getting your butt kicked by a cop more often than you'd want to. I think roleplaying this depressive image can be engagin as long as there isn't any outcome too unforgiving for being weak in a world of cyborgs, but hey, If you don't sense a danger the decissions aren't really worhtwile and it hardly is ROLEPLAYING.

Then you'll have increasingly bigger gigs. You'll perform and that could require some actions by the player, but it would also be a thing of stats and rolls. If you succeed you might try to talk not to an NPC but to an entire audience and shake things up a little, send a riot to the doors of a corp or something to create a diversion or even make some harm.

They can use an "influence" or "inspired" altered state on NPCs, they just don't need to show it graphically. You will know If you're a good Rockerboy or not checking on your stats and skills and how good or bad your guitar is, and mostly, on how these things resolve.

For Rockerboy, much of the capability could come through dialogues. An opportunity to perform would be great - and would help set 2077 apart from other RPGs and open world games - but in job-to-job interactions, dialogue.

The trick is to set dialogue up akin to Bloodlines, where you have abilities giving you dialogue options. These abilites can be based on your Special Ability, your Persuade/Fast Talk skill and your Rep.

In this way, a Rockerboy's natural charisma and eventually fame can lead them to results unobtainable by brute force or regular fast-talk.

It would make the role quite useful and feel markedly different than playing a Cop, for example.

Also, Fans. That follow you, scream if you take your shades off and attack anyone who attacks you. And sometimes, you find they've snuck inside your apartment and stolen your underwear.

The only thing that would make Rockerboys awesomer than their title, is in game dance-offs to their killer tunes:

Rockerboize! (tm) now with Kinect support!!

For Rockerboy, much of the capability could come through dialogues. An opportunity to perform would be great - and would help set 2077 apart from other RPGs and open world games - but in job-to-job interactions, dialogue.

The trick is to set dialogue up akin to Bloodlines, where you have abilities giving you dialogue options. These abilites can be based on your Special Ability, your Persuade/Fast Talk skill and your Rep.

In this way, a Rockerboy's natural charisma and eventually fame can lead them to results unobtainable by brute force or regular fast-talk.

It would make the role quite useful and feel markedly different than playing a Cop, for example.

Also, Fans. That follow you, scream if you take your shades off and attack anyone who attacks you. And sometimes, you find they've snuck inside your apartment and stolen your underwear.

really good explanation, i would like something like this.

I really hope CDPRED put him in the game, he has big potencial

Honestly, I don't see Rockerboys being playable, but I do definitely see them being characters you meet.

Like I said, if they manage to tailor this game to be vastly different for all the nine roles then that would be just incredible and is way too good to be true.

Okay,

I'm sorry to do this but I got to put the Kebosh on Rocker Boys.

1. Johnny Silverhand Strumming up a crowd with a free concert to riot against Arasaka building - YES VERY COOL! But I mean - REALLY? *Eye Roll*

2. Edgerunners are stealth covert action inter corporate espionage special forces ninjas. A team with AN EXTREME high profile like Johnny Silverhand? R U FUCKING kidding me? Guards would be like OH look "there" is Johnny Silverhand International music sensation I just saw his concert on Net 54. OH WAIT he has a gun in his hand and is trying to break in to my floor...you think I could get an autograph for my kid before we call in the borg secrurity team? *Yawn*

3. There is a game out where you play a rocker boy it's called BRUTAL LEGEND by Doublefine. Play that and never speak of Rocker boys in Cyberpunk again.

'nuff said.

Oh, so much not nuff said.

Not every Rockerboy is Johnny Silverhand. He and Eurodyne are the Rolling Stones of their time. As a player, you will use your charm and contacts and, yes, your fame such as it is, to get places and results others could not. Rockerboys aren't only musicians - they are also comedians, actors, playwrights, you name it. They are Fiction Entertainment. Unlike Medias, who chase the Truth.
Basically, you are the Charm part of the success formula. In the "A-team" Face was the Rockerboy.

Your edgerunners, ( a term I've long hated, by the way), may be a "stealth covert action etc". Not all Teams and players play that way. Not even close. Some are mostly Cops. Some are Media-dominated and are the enforcement/research/Charm arm of a media team. Some work for Trauma Team to pay the bills and the rockerboy, like the Techie and the Fixer, do it to make money until they can Make It.

Which is another thing. Several Roles have plans and careers that do not fit the FPS-Stealth mould you are talking about. Corporates, Fixers and Techs all have plans and careers that being a Stealth-FPS type, although doable, wouldn't help a lot with. Medtechs make more money working in a hospital - they make a great pay by the way. Cops are, well, cops.

In Cyberpunk, these diverse Roles work together to accomplish a shared goal: Making It. And Staying Alive.

Nearly everyone has dreams of get-off-the-Street success, not just Rockerboys.

Not every Rockerboy is Johnny Silverhand. He and Eurodyne are the Rolling Stones of their time. As a player, you will use your charm and contacts and, yes, your fame such as it is, to get places and results others could not. Rockerboys aren't only musicians - they are also comedians, actors, playwrights, you name it. They are Fiction Entertainment. Unlike Medias, who chase the Truth.
Basically, you are the Charm part of the success formula. In the "A-team" Face was the Rockerboy.

Your edgerunners, ( a term I've long hated, by the way), may be a "stealth covert action etc". Not all Teams and players play that way. Not even close. Some are mostly Cops. Some are Media-dominated and are the enforcement/research/Charm arm of a media team. Some work for Trauma Team to pay the bills and the rockerboy, like the Techie and the Fixer, do it to make money until they can Make It.

Which is another thing. Several Roles have plans and careers that do not fit the FPS-Stealth mould you are talking about. Corporates, Fixers and Techs all have plans and careers that being a Stealth-FPS type, although doable, wouldn't help a lot with. Medtechs make more money working in a hospital - they make a great pay by the way. Cops are, well, cops.

In Cyberpunk, these diverse Roles work together to accomplish a shared goal: Making It. And Staying Alive.

Nearly everyone has dreams of get-off-the-Street success, not just Rockerboys.

Well played sir!

Now allow me to retort:

To be more precise what I'm just sayin' is the way Rockerboys are PRESENTED (from admittedly my questionable memory) is ridiculous and THAT vision of Rockerboys albeit super dope is not really functional or anywhere near realistic in a videogame meant to be be capable of a LOT more.

Now your points about what PLAYERS end up bringing in terms of exploring the role and fleshing it out into a meaningful and rich character in the PnP that makes a ton of sense and you're 100% right the Edgerunner/ninja stealth team is NOT the only team in CP2020, but probably once again from my memory the "type" of team most often presented in the source material (I'm happy for you to prove me wrong on this!).

In so far as the Rocker boy as a fleshed out character supporting a different type of role/play style as you've described it makes a whole lot of sense.

As I remember it from the Books - not so much.

*Sharpens Kris Blade*

Ah, the scene where the Rockerboy whips the crowd into a frenzy of adulation and somehow they don't all get gunned down by Arasaka/Militech/Petrochem/Whoever?

Yeah, that always was stupid. It took the Rockerboy supplement, of course, to really flesh the Role out.

The covert action team is pretty common and, of course, many of the gadgets are aimed that way. This, interestingly, relates to a balance issue discussion we were having in the PnP forum - why Solos outshine everyone else.

It's because much of the game really is tilted towards combat and combat solutions. Despite the fact that there are perfectly powerful non-combat options, the game very much encourages putting your Minami 10 against the wall and going to town.

If you've never played with a complete group and watched a Rockerboy or Corporate go to work though, it's too bad. Makes for much hilarity as the badass NPCs or even PCs find themselves outmaneuvered or charmed into submission, having to explain it to their bosses later.

*powers up lightsaber. Sorry, playing Old Republic again*

I disagree with all of this... especially what seems to be your basic premise of what a Rockerboy is...

A Rockerboy is not a celebrity. A rockerboy is a revolutionary. They may deliver the message through music, comedy, fiction, or whatever, but that is just their means of getting the message out. A Rockerboy is a politcian... Charismatic Leadership is Persuasion/Fast Talk at a crowd level. The idea that they cause riots is kind of bullshit, the most a Rockerboy can really hope for is to get people informed and thinking about whatever the Rockers Agenda is, to get people supporting the movement. The difference between a rocker and a media, is a media isn't looking for followers, a media is concerned with the truth, and getting people informed. A rocker is concerned with being the face and the voice, truth be damned, they want their message heard. The medium isn't important.... whats important is the message.

Thats the problem with the name, and the illustrative examples of Rockerboy in the source material. You never see the rocker really doing anything rockerish... you could play it off that the message comes through in the music, but the examples we have of their music doesn't express that.... there is no message to be heard. In Never Fade away, Silverhend supposedly gets people to riot, but we don;t see how he does it, and it's kind of silly. When it was written, while there were quite a few politicallya ctive musicians out there, they were very few actual "rockerboys" in the national spotlight as musicians. The only ones who really qualified at the time were U2, with their intense political activism that came through in their music... but even then most of their music was pretty much just pop with the occasional deeper message. Even in Punk, the message was often lost in the attitude or ignored completely.... The Clash were Rockerboys, the Sex pistols were just punk. Hip-Hop and rap of the late 80's and early 90's was much more inclined towards activism, most notably with Public Enemy, but even then the majority was meaningless. I still hold, that on the music scene, there is no better example of Rockerboy than Rage Against The Machine.

But most Rockerboys never pick up an instrument... most just stand on a soap box, or behind a pulpit, or behind a microphone on the radio... They are the politicians, the revolutionaries, the street preachers, the INSTIGATORS... They are the Barack Obama's, the Che Gueveras, the Martin Luther King's , The Malcom X's, the Glen Becks, the Rush Limbaughs, the Micheal Moore's, the Bill Mahers, the Al Gores....

Lastly, Face wasn't a Rockerboy, he was a Vamp. Hannibal is the one who made all the speeches, all Face ever did was look pretty. Hell, even Murdoch was more of a Rocker than Face... his speeches were crazy, but he made them often, and occasionally, people would even follow him...

Oddly enough, MR. T was more of a rocker than anyone, as even though the message, the agenda, he was trying to get across was pretty wholesome and cheesy, he did work pretty tirelessly to get it across...

Now I have to go throw up, because talking about the A-Team with anything but derision and ridicule as one of the stupidest shows to ever see air time has made me feel queasy....

A) I disagree with your face and

B) There is no Vamp in the MRB. TRYING NOT TO STRAY INTO ESOTERICA.

C) This is just another deliberate attempt by you rockerboy-haters to make them unplayable in game. You haven't fooled me at all. So I'm gonna stick with the Charm part of the Team, since the Message part is pretttttty unplayable.

Hey, been lurking for a few days, saw the trailer when released, been a big cyberpunk player from old etc blah.

Just had to register to say this.

Stop thinking inside the box!, a rockerboy/media or whatever have as much potential as any other role.
Yes, as mentioned it is combat bias (CP in general).

However, with pickup skills etc, there's room for improvment.
I'd hate to see any role dropped based purely on "oh, we couldnt get it to work well".

It will appeal to casual players alone (aswell as others) that playing a rockerboy, as stated who isnt just a pure bon jovi replica.
Having said that, my FPS/gunning days are dust in my gaming trail, i much prefer a diplomatic angle these days (or ways to end a dispute without bloodying my own hands).

You scream drop the role!.
Yet, do you even comprehend the potential for such a role in a game like this?.
I mean, really?!.

Think about it for a moment, i know that's hard in this day n age of instant whatever-the-fuck-you-want.

I mean, off the top of my head, IF this game did incorperate Co-op.
I' love to have my Techie be put in with a rockerboy while our other mate is a solo and the 4th is a media.
Like co-op 'scenarios', where I, the techie need to keep all equipment going, the solo has to 'shepherd' his collegues to guard any VIPS.
the media is covering the whole ordeal, and our mate, the rocker is doing 1)a protest, 2)a stadium gig, 3)holding an art gallery.

Thats one idea, i admit is weak.
But my point is, don't discount a role cause you've either had past bad experiences or just dont SEE its potential.

If it's a case of all roles partake in the same main storyline missions, then so be it.
I want to see CDPR think outside the box and make it work, cause it can quite easily, I bet they'd be willing to try damn hard too.

Dont conform to standards with games, that goes for everybody.
You want to run'n'gun load up your damn solo.

A) I disagree with your face and

B) There is no Vamp in the MRB. TRYING NOT TO STRAY INTO ESOTERICA.

C) This is just another deliberate attempt by you rockerboy-haters to make them unplayable in game. You haven't fooled me at all. So I'm gonna stick with the Charm part of the Team, since the Message part is pretttttty unplayable.

My face disgrees back... it also says you smell funny :p

b) Pick better shows... or at least pick an example that actually conforms to what you are trying use an example :D

For example, Jericho One from Strange Days was a Rockerboy... Juliette Lewis's character from the same movie, was just a musician. Shepard Book from Firefly, was a Rockerboy.

c) Actually, the revolutionary angle is the only thing that does make them playable in the game... trying to fit a "glam rock dude in acid washed jjeans" in a game with solo's, fixers, and nomads, and have them be anything other than a joke with permed hair, is almost impossible...

That's why for Interlock Unlimited I broke up Rockerboy into Artiste (the musician image they present) and Instigator (what they actually wanted the role to be as evident from the description).

The A-team angle is completely subjective, certain characters appealed to particular viewers, why do you think you had a black guy who kicked butt, a white guy-salesman type who spoke his way out of any situation etc...

Hold on, a character who SPOKE his way out, well, who'd have funk it?!.

I'm new, obviously, but you seem to tread the ground of anti-rocker (i dont say boy cause , hey girls are welcome too!).
Corperates arent too disimilar in this particular aspect.

They can talk the talk ect also, can bring in thug like guards too!.
Are you against that role also ?.
Nomads aswell, hell get rid of them right?.

All they can do is call in backup...oh wait, you're talking about individual combat skills aswell..

Well allow me to reiterate.
All roles can fight, be it individual or group based.

In fact I had a fart-of-a-thought, i'd love to see some experimental mode, like sims, where all your single player characters are involved in the same world.
Yeah, i played the Sims, i'm a gamer :p

I just imagined it where you could play off of all your characters, but then you'd end up with some major meta-gaming shinanigans(did i spell that right?).

anyway, back to the topic, rockerboys and the like should stay, that's my vote.

EDIT : yeah i said rockerboys at the end, instead of correcting myself i'm here pointing it out.
Where the hell do you stand? :p

Hey, give me a new braindance woman!.

Rockerboys, like Corporates and Fixers and even Cops to a certain degree, bring that element of play to the video game that is represented by social persuasion,as opposed to physical or technological persuasion, used in order to overcome challenges.

Because the A Team reference is so great, Face is also the Fixer. Mr T is the Tech. Hannibal is the Corporate, I guess. He has Resources after all. Or would that be Murdoch. Or both? Which one had medical training? Murdoch? Whatever.

Rockerboy, like Corporate and Fixer, absolutely have a place in CP2077 - they represent Charm/Persuasion/Connections to get things done.

The A-team angle is completely subjective, certain characters appealed to particular viewers, why do you think you had a black guy who kicked butt, a white guy-salesman type who spoke his way out of any situation etc...

Hold on, a character who SPOKE his way out, well, who'd have funk it?!.

I'm new, obviously, but you seem to tread the ground of anti-rocker (i dont say boy cause , hey girls are welcome too!).
Corperates arent too disimilar in this particular aspect.

They can talk the talk ect also, can bring in thug like guards too!.
Are you against that role also ?.
Nomads aswell, hell get rid of them right?.

All they can do is call in backup...oh wait, you're talking about individual combat skills aswell..

Well allow me to reiterate.
All roles can fight, be it individual or group based.

In fact I had a fart-of-a-thought, i'd love to see some experimental mode, like sims, where all your single player characters are involved in the same world.
Yeah, i played the Sims, i'm a gamer :p

I just imagined it where you could play off of all your characters, but then you'd end up with some major meta-gaming shinanigans(did i spell that right?).

anyway, back to the topic, rockerboys and the like should stay, that's my vote.

EDIT : yeah i said rockerboys at the end, instead of correcting myself i'm here pointing it out.
Where the hell do you stand? :p

Hey, give me a new braindance woman!.

Yes.... you are new... welcome aboard...

I have already put forth an entire thread, where the initial post was a long detailed synopsis of how all the roles could be utilized, each with a unique flair, in one larger, multi strand spiderweb of a story.

My only stand is that if some DO have to be dropped, that Rockerboys, due to the system requirements their role would necessitate, should be the first on the chopping block... probably followed by medtechs, then by media's, then by corps, then by techs...

My real position is that characters shouldn't be limited to one Role, but should be able to multi-class freely, Interlock Unlimited style, choosing one primary that determines the story path presented to you. And that they should go with the story structure I presented in that other thread about how roles should be implemented. You can find it in the forum guide.

Top Bottom