Should they?

• Yes

Votes: 45 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • No, but they should be an NPC

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters
I like V. I liked their story, their relationship with Johnny, and the their voice actors. That said, I agree wiith what others have said: V's character wasn't fleshed out enough to really feel attached in any particular way and the sequel would do better to just make references/easter eggs about V. I think the biggest problem was that while it feels like CDPR was able to capture V's voice and style (i.e. Cyberpunk edgy) there wasn't much character behind them. As Dr. LaBrat said, probably a symptom of balance character freedom v. character study. I don't think it's impossible to have the two together, just need to flesh out more character personality choices, but that is a lot more work and more voice acting.

I feel like the above just means that we should have a chance to expand on V's character more in the sequel.

I feel like the above just means that we should have a chance to expand on V's character more in the sequel.
Maybe. But what currently exists of V's character was highly dependent on their relationship with Jackie and Johnny, both of who aren't around much anymore. Otherwise, their very much just a blank slate with not much else to work with and it wouldn't be worth it to keep them around as the protagonist.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they wanted to expand V in the sequel, it would not be very different from creating a new, more developed protagonist, as both cases would still be basically creating a new character from scatch. But because V's character wasn't very well developed in 2077, I just don't have much attachment on continuing that story and would rather see something new.

I'd all for having more of V simply because the base game of CP2077 feels like nothing more than a prologue to there story especially in terms of character and relationships, but, as i think i've said before, i'd personally rather V's story be tied up in the development cycle of 2077 including all it's dlc an expansion/s.

I prefer a new MC and hopefully location each game since the older i get the more i cant be bothered with sequels or trilogy's spreading a story across a decade at minimum, i prefer a story and character contained to a single game

I would really like to see V again. Her/his Story was really good but felt a bit rushed. I still feel very interested in the Character of V and there is a lot of untouched ground that, in my opinion, is worth to discover/explore.

It wouldn't be the End of the World if not, I could definitely enjoy a new Protagonist, but V has still potential.

Maybe. But what currently exists of V's character was highly dependent on their relationship with Jackie and Johnny, both of who aren't around much anymore. Otherwise, their very much just a blank slate with not much else to work with and it wouldn't be worth it to keep them around as the protagonist.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they wanted to expand V in the sequel, it would not be very different from creating a new, more developed protagonist, as both cases would still be basically creating a new character from scatch. But because V's character wasn't very well developed in 2077, I just don't have much attachment on continuing that story and would rather see something new.

I disagree because if you created relationships with Panam, Judy, Kerry, and River you already have characters who can be part of the main story. Also Vic the Ripper Doc and Jackie's mother and Misty.

Which is closer than a lot of games.

Without seeing what the story of the expansion ends up being, almost impossible to tell. I would have thought no. But if 2077's endings are left open ended, or if the expansion initiates a new arc, perhaps.

While I don't mind playing as V again, a part of me wants to play as a new protagonist. I'd love to explore Night City from a fresh perspective, meet a variety of different characters, and experience new stories and romances.

Addtionally, V's story varies dramatically at the end of Cyberpunk 2077 depending on what choices you make, and I'm not sure I like the idea of having V return to Night City alive and well in the sequel, because it takes the weight away from your decisions in the first game.

For example, i love the moment that V says goodbye to Night City in the Star ending, because they've come to the realization that the City of Dreams is a sad illusion and they've decided to move on. If V were to return in the sequel after leaving Night City with the Aldecaldos, it would almost feel like a betrayal of their arc from the first game.

While I don't mind playing as V again, a part of me wants to play as a new protagonist. I'd love to explore Night City from a fresh perspective, meet a variety of different characters, and experience new stories and romances.
Copy of V is behind blackwall anyway.
I feel like story of V's body is kinda finish;
But possibilities for future are endless including... V is landing in some other netrunner head...
There is even more questions about humanity, and what is mean to copy consciousness ? Which one will be original ?
From outside world it is indistinguishable, but from internal continuity it may be death / resurrection / incarnation states.

New stories, characters and places are good idea, but i feel V can still give us a lot of joy.

Were I writing it, I'd have V wake up in a laboratory in the middle of a space station both confused and wondering how they got there. Later, I'd reveal that someone successfully acquired the Relic and discovered V's engram had been stored on it the same way Johnny's had. They used that to clone a new body.

Have some neat existential horror there.

Guest 4412420

I'm very fond of V and I'd love to see 2077's cast of characters again too, but I'm not sure how they'd pull that off because the Star ending sends V off to an entirely different location that's not mentioned or referenced at all in the other endings. How would they deal with the other characters? I'm sure they would figure it out, it's way too early to tell.

One thing I am 100% against is V returning as an NPC. I don't think there's a single game that pulled that off well. Dragon Age: Inquisition failed, SWTOR failed even worse from what I've heard, Far Cry: New Dawn didn't do a great job as well.

I'm very fond of V and I'd love to see 2077's cast of characters again too, but I'm not sure how they'd pull that off because the Star ending sends V off to an entirely different location that's not mentioned or referenced at all in the other endings. How would they deal with the other characters? I'm sure they would figure it out, it's way too early to tell.

One thing I am 100% against is V returning as an NPC. I don't think there's a single game that pulled that off well. Dragon Age: Inquisition failed, SWTOR failed even worse from what I've heard, Far Cry: New Dawn didn't do a great job as well.
Making a canon Revan was a really wrong move and against the RPG nature of KOTOR, I def don't want that here either

DA:I never failed tbh because they could never have got it right, not for everyone, but they did a no bad job non the less considering Hawke can be alot more unique to the player than V considering the wide gulf in RP available to the player in Hawkes favour.

SWTOR failed with Revan because Revan was a silent PC so to start with everyone that played the game had a different voice for them, then they could've been male or female so making Revan 1 of those cuts even more ppl of, there alot more, especially with a silent PC, but you get the gist

FC ND was just a rubbish story.

V actually wouldn't have as many obstacles, especially compared to Hawke and Revan, but ppl would definitely complain about something

Guest 4412420

DA:I never failed tbh because they could never have got it right, not for everyone, but they did a no bad job non the less considering Hawke can be alot more unique to the player than V considering the wide gulf in RP available to the player in Hawkes favour.
Most people didn't like Hawke's cameo. From their anti-blood magic rants despite possibly being one or dating one, to ditching their love interest to them being there in general. Hawke's appearance in Inquisition was unnecessary and poorly handled.

I also disagree that V as NPC wouldn't have as many obstacles. In my opinion, it's the opposite. Hawke has three personality types and even if you don't stick strictly to one, there's still a dominating type that determines the tone of the few automatic responses the game has. V has no such thing, which makes it more difficult to narrow their personality down.

Most people didn't like Hawke's cameo. From their anti-blood magic rants despite possibly being one or dating one, to ditching their love interest to them being there in general. Hawke's appearance in Inquisition was unnecessary and poorly handled.

I also disagree that V as NPC wouldn't have as many obstacles. In my opinion, it's the opposite. Hawke has three personality types and even if you don't stick strictly to one, there's still a dominating type that determines the tone of the few automatic responses the game has. V has no such thing, which makes it more difficult to narrow their personality down.

I'll be honest i dislike ppl saying "most ppl", do you know everyone that played it? No didn't think so.

As i said they could never have got it right because as you said Hawke could be 3 different ppl from tone alone, V doesn't have that problem, the only problem V has is gender, V replies the same in my game as they would in yours with ZERO difference apart from gender, Hawkes reply differs with each different option, V's doesn't, Dragon Age is a RPG in that sense, CP2077 is not, it's more a Action/Adventure

V is the same V for everyone tone wise, all male reply the same and all female reply the same the only difference is what you bring in your head, tone and the way they say it is nigh exact same across the board for everyone, it's practically linear in that regard compared to DA

Before anyone thinks it, im no shitting on CP saying this, i like the approach, V is more consistent for it unlike Hawke who can be all over the place.

V, again apart from gender choice, is more like Geralt in my view, more emotional sure but more consistent as i said and thus alot easier to make a NPC if required since there isnt as much RP baggage on them

I voted yes.

My "problem" with replacing V in favor of a new protagonist is not that much the abandonment of V itself as a character (which, as mentioned by others, seems to me to be quite "generic" and lacking in personality, leaving the story to rely mostly on the charisma of the various Johnny, Evelyn, Takemura, Panam, Judie and so on), as well as the idea of having a new protagonist for each new Cyberpunk title. It's an approach that does not convince me so much.

On the "The Witcher" front, to give an example, I frankly believe it is right to leave Geralt and his companions behind to look beyond: they had their time, their space, three entire titles (Yen aside, of course) to tell their story. I'm fond of them all, sure, but it's normal and it's fine to carry on. Here... I cannot deny that the conclusion of CP2077 still leaves me with a certain sense of incompleteness.

It's something I thought of while looking at Edgerunners too. I liked it? Yes, of course. Yet, I keep thinking that setting ten episodes (or a single title) as a limit to telling a story is often... restricting, castrating. Limiting, precisely. A good author knows when to end a story, sure, but he shouldn't be in a hurry to do so.

But maybe - maybe - starting over, from the scratch, with a new protagonist, would be easier. Easier to write and easier to sell. I just hope we'll get the chance to stick with him/her a little more, in case.

I voted yes. For me the main thing is completing V's story. I'm not sure how that gets done unless they're the protagonist (because their appearance is customised). That being said, if they found a creative way to complete V's story in Orion with a different protagonist I might be okay with that too.

EDIT: just realised I wrote that on the assumption the expansion doesn't conclude V's story. If it does then I'm fine with a new protag

I voted no, even though I'm very fond of my V(s) and look forward to playing her a little more in the expansion. But then it's done - Cyberpunk to me isn't about a specific person, a hero who stands out from the masses like your Shepherds, Geralts and Hawkes, no endless Odissey through a series of games. The main character, I know it's a cliché now, is Night City, and within it there are small vignettes and short stories about those characters that stood out a little more and will be remembered by some, but nobody's out to save the world from the bad Corpos, just a few that tried and either got a bad or an open ending. Cyberpunk is very refreshing in that regard. Anyway, the setting has room for dozens, hundreds of these vignettes, we learned about V, David and Lucy, the various characters we meet and could write a similar short story about, and the line of those who we can follow next is long. V. to me had a good (and mostly open) ending, not the typical hero saga with a fairy tale ending, but more mature and at least it has room for interpretation and maybe even a chance of escaping death. Not sure if it needs to be any clearer. The last thing I'd want is this endless fanservice like Mass Effect's, with multiple books and graphic novels because people just can't let their Normandy team go. :)

They need to at least finish his/her story. Not all endings need to be treated equal or canon, the Mr Blue Eye's quest adds more lore and questions to V's current state but also an extremely interesting note in the plot that would be weird not to follow up on.

I really dont understand how people can say "his story is done" when there are very clear implications of V having a very ambiguous end with Mr Blue Eye's. How do you NOT want these questions answered? Now if they give us answers with the xpac that's fine, but they need to finish the story threads that are there. V's situation is not known if he can find a cure or not and in a setting like cyberpunk it would be incredibly obnoxious to have a major character in the setting not get a proper finish(either a proper bullet to the head or a cure).

As should he be the protagonist... I would prefer he wasn't so we could get proper life paths and a game closer to the tabletop, but I also dont want dangling threads of a previous game, makes the setting a lot less attractive, imo, becuase it infers plot threads/lore threads are not carried out to their conclusion by the writers.

Last edited:
How do you NOT want these questions answered?
Hum, I just speak for me (because I agree this ending is the "most open"), but it's the "dumbest ending" in my opinion :)
V start the game by loosing everything, when tryng to do a big heist. So again, in the Sun ending, V go doing a heist again... A heist which is even more risky, even bigger and for someone who is involved in brainwash conspiracy...
It's never the ending that (my) V will choose. So I don't want to know and (my) V don't care, she leave Night City with Panam anyway :giggle:

Edit : An little detail, I would like to know what happens during the heist (for sure, and I bet it would turn badly...), but I would not like to have to play it (if it make sense^^). But if ever CDPR decided to continue the story of V from this ending (as canon), it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just won't import any save from CP77 and will consider that I'm playing a new character, also named V :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom