Single Open World or Partitioned?

+
^What he said. Loading screen do not affect any scripted interactivity on interactions using physics engine in a positive way. It's a designers' choice to focus on things.

The use of loading screens in Bethesda games is not entirely consistent, it seems to be related to more peculiar and engine specific reasons than just dynamic objects. There are sometimes huge and complex interior environments with no loading screens within them, other times you enter a small building (loading screen), then the cellar of it with only a handful of dynamic objects requires another loading screen. On the other hand, the entire overworld with thousands of objects is seamless. But separate interior cells can have different lighting and effects, are not affected by time of day or weather (if it is raining in the overworld, it is also raining inside buildings without loading screens), and can have gameplay related advantages like blocking sound propagation for the purpose of stealth (i.e. if you make a noise inside a building, enemies outside will not hear it). Sometimes the interiors of a house are also larger than the building itself.

In theory, it should be possible to remove loading screens entirely, even if I do think it may have required some compromises in The Witcher 3, as the interiors tend to be relatively simple. In a dense city, it also reduces the load on the hardware if nothing inside the buildings needs to be simulated or partly rendered while you are on the streets. But RED engine 4 will probably further improve the efficiency.

Last edited:
A huge factor many people seem to forget when it comes to loading screens is the average amount of RAM available on consoles and PCs has gone up significantly over the years. While tight code and a good engine plays a major role in the need to load game assets RAM dictates if you have the space to load on the fly or require a pause to unload old assets and load new.

So look at the system specs required for older games and the ones required for newer ones this will give you a good indication.

As a dinosaur programmer we use to have to be VERY concerned about memory usage. Once upon a time "manpower was cheap, memory was expensive", these days it's exactly the opposite.

Suhiira;n10382672 said:
A huge factor many people seem to forget when it comes to loading screens is the average amount of RAM available on consoles and PCs has gone up significantly over the years. While tight code and a good engine plays a major role in the need to load game assets RAM dictates if you have the space to load on the fly or require a pause to unload old assets and load new.

So look at the system specs required for older games and the ones required for newer ones this will give you a good indication.

As a dinosaur programmer we use to have to be VERY concerned about memory usage. Once upon a time "manpower was cheap, memory was expensive", these days it's exactly the opposite.

Well... Memory was cheap. Due to certain companies that I won't name here, it's now about double the price.

But I get your point, I'm just being facetious. ;)

Top Bottom