So, is everybody ready for Skellige domination mark II?

+
For those less aware, Vabjorn actually resulted in a SK boost this season!

The main nerf happened to Tryggvi and well, we all know SK can do fine without that card. SK players will just bring back the big three of Wild Boar, Hemdall and Morkvarg and now they can tutor their Raid cards!

The only hope from last season was luck of the draw and praying their big cards like Blood Eagle were nicely located on the bottom of their deck. Hope that they didn't currently have a Stunning Blow in their hand to answer your 1 armour unit. Now, with Vabjorn they effectively have double the chance to access these cards, so in effect 2 chances to get Blood Eagle, 2 for Raiding fleet and 3 for Stunning Blow. Forget armour, you'll almost certainly get Stunning Blowed. They need Mork, Hemdall or Harald, or even a Greatsword, they'll almost certainly have access to Blood Eagle.

I have a feeling this season is going to be worse than last....

Last edited:
Turggvi change is a little awkward because many people had been dropping it even before the patch.

But let's not exaggerate. SK got a very solid nerf overall. The addition of Vabjorn might be seen as ridiculous in the light of what SK was perpetrating last patch but it does not make up for the removal of the most broken leader interaction. SK warriors on Patricidal Fury is still surely Tier 1, and might still be the strongest deck (as Fruits was nerfed half-dead), but it's nowhere as broken as SK-SW last patch.

Turggvi change is a little awkward because many people had been dropping it even before the patch.

But let's not exaggerate. SK got a very solid nerf overall. The addition of Vabjorn might be seen as ridiculous in the light of what SK was perpetrating last patch but it does not make up for the removal of the most broken leader interaction. SK warriors on Patricidal Fury is still surely Tier 1, and might still be the strongest deck (as Fruits was nerfed half-dead), but it's nowhere as broken as SK-SW last patch.

Not convinced. Yes SW did get battered and deservedly so, but Patricidal Fury was already being used by many top players anyway, and for them, Vabjorn is effectively a consistency boost and therefore a buff overall, not a nerf. Last season the best you could hope for is SK getting an unlucky draw with Harald and Blood Eagle rooted at the bottom of their deck. No more, this season.

Last edited:

Guest 4398623

No, SK gets a buff with this 'patch' (it isn't a patch, but CDPR thinks it is one). Patricial Fury was in many cases the better leader last season, after the provision nerf from Second Wind. I have seen so many matches where SK Second Wind had no good leader target in the graveyard. And you can still renew a GS with the new Second Wind, so no problem at all.
Post automatically merged:

For those less aware, Vabjorn actually resulted in a SK boost this season!

The main nerf happened to Tryggvi and well, we all know SK can do fine without that card. SK players will just bring back the big three of Wild Boar, Hemdall and Morkvarg and now they can tutor their Raid cards!

The only hope from last season was luck of the draw and praying their big cards like Blood Eagle were nicely located on the bottom of their deck. Hope that they didn't currently have a Stunning Blow in their hand to answer your 1 armour unit. Now, with Vabjorn they effectively have double the chance to access these cards, so in effect 2 chances to get Blood Eagle, 2 for Raiding fleet and 3 for Stunning Blow. Forget armour, you'll almost certainly get Stunning Blowed. They need Mork, Hemdall or Harald, or even a Greatsword, they'll almost certainly have access to Blood Eagle.

I have a feeling this season is going to be worse than last....

It is not just a feeling, CDPR has done nothing again with this patch (only some SY buffs). Just bring out a new journey, because this game is all about cosmetics...who cares about gameplay.
My solution: Just quit, there are so many reasons to not play this game anymore. As long as the players keep on playing, nothing will change. These devs have proven often enough, that they don't know how Gwent works and what the players want (I'm just wondering if anybody of them has ever played Gwent). It's time for new ideas and focus on gameplay ( I remember the big announcement last year: More quality and less quantity. Now we have none of these things) and a system rework. The matchmaking, coinflip and card draws are still not working correctly, many players are getting systematically disadvantaged and others draw like gods...season for season. This problem exists since day one, but CDPR will have to do something against this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, we will probably get another hotfix in a week or so. SK is not as insanely broken as last season, but Vabjorn should be able to secure the best deck spot again.

Patricial Fury was in many cases the better leader last season, after the provision nerf from Second Wind.

That was never the case. SW was the thing. Patricidal was a side thing if you got bored or didn't wanna go full cheese. SW gave SK unbeatable reach in R1 with no commitment or indestructible Harald (no-one dared kill him with SW still on), as well as some of the best long rounds in the game with the classic GS + Boar on last say.

I'm not saying that SK changes are great. Like the Turggvi change was, well... Turggvi is not even a consideration now. Berserker is actually a buff. Vabjorn is a really big out-of-the-blue buff. But the biggest thing about SK is gone. That's a good thing. Baby steps. :)

Guest 4398623

That was never the case. SW was the thing. Patricidal was a side thing if you got bored or didn't wanna go full cheese. SW gave SK unbeatable reach in R1 with no commitment or indestructible Harald (no-one dared kill him with SW still on), as well as some of the best long rounds in the game with the classic GS + Boar on last say.

I'm not saying that SK changes are great. Like the Turggvi change was, well... Turggvi is not even a consideration now. Berserker is actually a buff. Vabjorn is a really big out-of-the-blue buff. But the biggest thing about SK is gone. That's a good thing. Baby steps. :)

You are completely wrong, so let try it one more time. SW was surely the most used leader, but that doesn't mean it was the best. And I can not say which was the best leader, only the statistics maybe will have an answer. But PF was an good alternative and in some situations even better than SW.
There was no unbeatable reach with SW, I have beaten this deck enough with different factions to refute this. Then Harald was maximum 1 point per turn, not really a devastating engine. GS was not really played anymore because the midrange version was better and you seem to ingnore this fact...you can still play GS into Wild Boar with SW.
The biggest thing about SK was not SW, it was the power level of the cards and there hasn't changed much. On the contrary, the biggest SK weakness was the lack of consistency, now you have a good tutor card.
So, SW is a nerf, but SK is still strong, probably stronger (more consistent) than last season.

Don't worry, we will probably get another hotfix in a week or so. SK is not as insanely broken as last season, but Vabjorn should be able to secure the best deck spot again.

Yeah, but hotfixes during the season without resetting the fMMR are unfair. This should never be the way to go. And SK wasn't insanely broken last season after the hotfix.

You are completely wrong, so let try it one more time. SW was surely the most used leader, but that doesn't mean it was the best. And I can not say which was the best leader, only the statistics maybe will have an answer. But PF was an good alternative and in some situations even better than SW.
There was no unbeatable reach with SW, I have beaten this deck enough with different factions to refute this. Then Harald was maximum 1 point per turn, not really a devastating engine. GS was not really played anymore because the midrange version was better and you seem to ingnore this fact...you can still play GS into Wild Boar with SW.
The biggest thing about SK was not SW, it was the power level of the cards and there hasn't changed much. On the contrary, the biggest SK weakness was the lack of consistency, now you have a good tutor card.
So, SW is a nerf, but SK is still strong, probably stronger (more consistent) than last season.

Yeah, but hotfixes during the season without resetting the fMMR are unfair. This should never be the way to go. And SK wasn't insanely broken last season after the hotfix.
All the meta reports from last season listed SW as the leader of choice even after the hotfix. The only person that's completely wrong here are you, my friend. PF was (and is) hard countered by Vincent which is really bad considering NG is already SK's worst match-up. SW didn't have these problems.

SW was surely the most used leader, but that doesn't mean it was the best.

Sure, whatever gets you rolling.

GS was not really played anymore because the midrange version was better

Mid-range version with one GS was most successful afaik.

The biggest thing about SK was not SW, it was the power level of the cards and there hasn't changed much.

You don't see the connection between the power level of cards and the mechanics of SW?

And SK wasn't insanely broken last season after the hotfix.

Your thread, brother. No use arguing if that's your end statement.

Guest 4368268

Two problems with SK remain:
Blood Eagle is still 10p.
Harald pulling off 14/15 instant value for 11p is ridicilous.

Jokes on you CDP!
I would like to add greatswords to that. Go tall and get Morkvarg'd go wide and get Wild Boar'd, each easily plays for about 40 points. The tempo and reach is unparalleled. CDP didn't want players to have 15 point bearmasters that they had to invest three rounds in but a GS and thereby a 18 point gigascorp decoction is fine. :facepalm:

Guest 4398623

All the meta reports from last season listed SW as the leader of choice even after the hotfix. The only person that's completely wrong here are you, my friend. PF was (and is) hard countered by Vincent which is really bad considering NG is already SK's worst match-up. SW didn't have these problems.

It's the same thing again and again in this forum. Just read my post that you answered to instead of writing such things. You came here without being part of this discussion and say literally nothing just to? Yeah, what is your intension? Being disrespectful?

1. Meta reports just try to classify, they show what is currently played and maybe even the best decks are not found at this moment (especially two weeks after an expansion). And meta reports include subjective criterias too. They are not absolute, change over time and are surely not always perfect. Additonally, PF is not even listed in the TLG report (just a small note by SW that you can try PF). I'm still not sure what you want so say, but I think it is that SW was better than PF and your argument was meta reports. But PF is not even on the list, so your argument is completely useless.
And I just wanted to say that PF is an good alternative and the SW nerf is not so bad for SK because of this (I think everybody wanted a SK nerf. So when you are right, what is the problem?). And when PF would have been on the list, it probably would have been a 5 stars deck too (the small note indicates this). Because SK is so strong and not only SW (By the way: This was my argument in my post before. But it seems you didn't read it).

2. I'm not your friend. I don't even know you.

3. Vincent already has two better targets with Harald and Herjka (or what her name is) against PF and SK in general. So what is the point of caring too much about a single card form a single faction which already has better targets? When you build your decks in this way, here is an advice: Don't do it.
And when you talk about the advantages of SW, then I'm talking about the disadvanges (you seem to forget them). You have more provisions with PF, sometimes you have no good target in the graveyard (good players play around this or squirrel did his job). And sometimes you have good targets in the grave but not for the current situation (for example: Wild Boar in a short round 3). PF is just consistent, gives you bloodthirst (enables blood eagle, often a problem with SW) and allows you to play other good cards (Lugos, Svanrige).

Sure, whatever gets you rolling.

Quantity is not quality, that's just a fact. But who cares about facts these days, especially online?

Mid-range version with one GS was most successful afaik.

That's exactly what I said.

You don't see the connection between the power level of cards and the mechanics of SW?

That doesn't change something. SK is still strong because of the cards and not only because of SW.

Your thread, brother. No use arguing if that's your end statement.

You did not discuss before, so nothing changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same thing again and again in this forum. Just read my post that you answered to instead of writing such things. You came here without being part of this discussion and say literally nothing just to? Yeah, what is your intension? Being disrespectful?

1. Meta reports just try to classify, they show what is currently played and maybe even the best decks are not found at this moment (especially two weeks after an expansion). And meta reports include subjective criterias too. They are not absolute, change over time and are surely not always perfect. Additonally, PF is not even listed in the TLG report (just a small note by SW that you can try PF). I'm still not sure what you want so say, but I think it is that SW was better than PF and your argument was meta reports. But PF is not even on the list, so your argument is completely useless.
And I just wanted to say that PF is an good alternative and the SW nerf is not so bad for SK because of this (I think everybody wanted a SK nerf. So when you are right, what is the problem?). And when PF would have been on the list, it probably would have been a 5 stars deck too (the small note indicates this). Because SK is so strong and not only SW (By the way: This was my argument in my post before. But it seems you didn't read it).

2. I'm not your friend. I don't even know you.

3. Vincent already has two better targets with Harald and Herjka (or what her name is) against PF and SK in general. So what is the point of caring too much about a single card form a single faction which already has better targets? When you build your decks in this way, here is an advice: Don't do it.
And when you talk about the advantages of SW, then I'm talking about the disadvanges (you seem to forget them). You have more provisions with PF, sometimes you have no good target in the graveyard (good players play around this or squirrel did his job). And sometimes you have good targets in the grave but not for the current situation (for example: Wild Boar in a short round 3). PF is just consistent, gives you bloodthirst (enables blood eagle, often a problem with SW) and allows you to play other good cards (Lugos, Svanrige).

Quantity is not quality, that's just a fact. But who cares about facts these days, especially online?

That's exactly what I said.

That doesn't change something. SK is still strong because of the cards and not only because of SW.

You did not discuss before, so nothing changed.
Just wanted you to be a little bit more careful about what you say and how you express stuff. The person who answered is definitely not "completely wrong". If anything's disrespectful, then this statement is. SW was so good because it could just rezz Harald if you killed him with Vincent, PF can't do that. But if you think you know better than the best players who make the reports then sure, go on. Also, I'm very sorry for calling you a friend, won't happen again if you feel offended by this.

Once again, always treat others with kindness and respect. This is definitely heading downhill, and it needs to stop doing that. Some of you are on very thin ice as it is.

I feel like NG is dominating this patch now, but maybe I'm biased. My favorite faction to play is Skellige. However, I've not played GS for months, only against it.

Since they are changing SW to not play 2 cards in 1 turn (as they talked about in developer patch overview) this problem will be gone by next patch. A very good decision by CDPR : )

Well at least my SK deck (Patrimonial Fury) got significantly worse (Still dominating TOP MMR of 1791 after 10 games (current MMR 1782), but more losses and ties; Rank 2). But cannot be compared to its dominance last season. Reasons are (my changes for future decks in brackets):
- Drummond Villager gets one bleeding less (but still want to have included as it can add 10 points via Blueboy Lugos and only costs 4 provison)
- Berserker transforms earlier (changed to Drummond Master Warrior due to nice expected synergies with Greatsword massacre and bloodthirst due to Arnjolf)
- Harald does not have pinging damage (will still stay in deck)
- Rupture was nerved (Tyrrgvi has to leave as he was mostly only a 10 value for 11 provisions)

=> My plan is now to remove Tyrrgvi. I am just thinking about valuable alternatives. Hemdall is fucking expensive and I am not really convinced of Vabjorn, as his only target would be the Echo card. When I have more special raid cards I have less warriors which is more or less a tradeoff.
=> Now I added Vabjorn and attack of the master and stunning blow, but I am still unsure whether this will work out.

Last edited:
Well at least my SK deck (Patrimonial Fury) got significantly worse (Still dominating TOP MMR of 1791 after 10 games (current MMR 1782), but more losses and ties; Rank 2). But cannot be compared to its dominance last season. Reasons are (my changes for future decks in brackets):
- Drummond Villager gets one bleeding less (but still want to have included as it can add 10 points via Blueboy Lugos and only costs 4 provison)
- Berserker transforms earlier (changed to Drummond Master Warrior due to nice expected synergies with Greatsword massacre and bloodthirst due to Arnjolf)
- Harald does not have pinging damage (will still stay in deck)
- Rupture was nerved (Tyrrgvi has to leave as he was mostly only a 10 value for 11 provisions)

=> My plan is now to remove Tyrrgvi. I am just thinking about valuable alternatives. Hemdall is fucking expensive and I am not really convinced of Vabjorn, as his only target would be the Echo card. When I have more special raid cards I have less warriors which is more or less a tradeoff.
=> Now I added Vabjorn and attack of the master and stunning blow, but I am still unsure whether this will work out.
You didn't have Stunning Blow before? Well I guess with Vabjorn this card should DEFINITELY be in your deck, you could also consider War of Clans. I think the tutor is a buff for SK, making it even more consistent.

Guest 4398623

Just wanted you to be a little bit more careful about what you say and how you express stuff. The person who answered is definitely not "completely wrong". If anything's disrespectful, then this statement is. SW was so good because it could just rezz Harald if you killed him with Vincent, PF can't do that. But if you think you know better than the best players who make the reports then sure, go on. Also, I'm very sorry for calling you a friend, won't happen again if you feel offended by this.

Just before we talk about the topic again: Saying to somebody that he is wrong, isn't disrespectful at all. It's just a normal part of a discussion. To interfere into something to correct somebody without any reason, is on the other hand disrespectful.

Now you are still talking only about Vincent, there are many other factions and cards out there. But let's have a look into reality: Harald's passive ability only is enabled in round 3 (+veil). You can reach round 3 in two ways in this matchup:
1. NG wins round 1 and goes into long round 3 --> you most likely lose anyway against ball and enforcers, because they are better in a long round...so Harald or SW or PF doesn't really matter;
2. SK wins round 1 and bleeds round 2 --> so you either use Harald in round 2 without his round 3 ability (Vincent can't target him) or you can keep him til round 3 and win anyways, because he is too strong in a short round 3...so it doesn't matter if you play SW or PF, when your bleed is succesfull;
And you seem to forget that Harald most of the time is targeted by Invo, so against NG he goes often to your opponent.

I had more success with PF especially at an higher fMMR level (2500+). And against SW, your Vincent target is always Herjka, you try to get her and not Harald. So again, all I wanted to say is that PF is an good alternative to SW. In some situations it performs better than SW. In others, SW is stronger.

And to the meta reports: I never said that I know it better (it's a misrepresentation from you), I just wanted to explain to you, what meta reports are and nothing else. To be honest, I exactly said the same thing as the TLG meta report, PF is an good alternative.

Now I hope you came here to discuss about the topic ;)

Seems like Vabjorn broke what was already a broken deck, and the sad little "nerfs" either didn't do any good (like the villager) or turned out to be actual buffs (like the berserker). Harald seemed like the only one with a meaningful fix, but in the end it didn't matter one bit in the scheme of things, because, once again, Vabjorn. The nerf to Rapture and Tyrggvi did nothing but made it easy to remove the card from deck and killed an interesting mechanic. Good job on Second Wind, though. RIP Second Wind.

Top Bottom