SOLVED: Game crashes randomly, but only in the first 10 minutes of gameplay

+
I've played about 30 hours under the current patch version (1.52) and have a strange crashing behavior. After launching the game and loading into an in-game area, the game often crashes within the next 10 minutes or so. Bizarrely, this issue resolves after restarting the game (and then crashing) a few times. If the game is able to play for more than 10 minutes without crashing, it never crashes afterwards, even if I play for 7-8 hours.

Usually, it takes somewhere between 1 to 3 crash-and-restarts to get the game stable. Then, if I shut down the computer and reboot, I have to repeat the above crash-and-restart process until the game is stable.

I believe this behavior existed in version 1.5 for as well. 1.5 actually had additional crash issues for me (including crashing randomly while using the in-game inventory menu), but these additional crashes seem to have disappeared in 1.52, and I'm currently left with the type of crashes described above.

Specs: 12700k, 3070 Ti (driver version 511.79), Windows 11, Asus B660-I (Nahimic service disabled), DDR5 5600 CL36

I've played about 30 hours under the current patch version (1.52) and have a strange crashing behavior. After launching the game and loading into an in-game area, the game often crashes within the next 10 minutes or so. Bizarrely, this issue resolves after restarting the game (and then crashing) a few times. If the game is able to play for more than 10 minutes without crashing, it never crashes afterwards, even if I play for 7-8 hours.

Usually, it takes somewhere between 1 to 3 crash-and-restarts to get the game stable. Then, if I shut down the computer and reboot, I have to repeat the above crash-and-restart process until the game is stable.

I believe this behavior existed in version 1.5 for as well. 1.5 actually had additional crash issues for me (including crashing randomly while using the in-game inventory menu), but these additional crashes seem to have disappeared in 1.52, and I'm currently left with the type of crashes described above.

Specs: 12700k, 3070 Ti (driver version 511.79), Windows 11, Asus B660-I (Nahimic service disabled), DDR5 5600 CL36
Super weird.

- First of all, are there mods involved? If there are, how does the game behave without them?
- Verifying your game files improve anything?
- Is your system being sufficiently cooled? Is air flowing freely through it? Is it free of dust?
- What exactly are the crashes in the first 10 minutes? A game freeze, a system freeze or the game CTD?
- Consider to delete the entire Cyberpunk 2077 game folder, and cleanly reinstall it again. Especially after each major patch when experiencing issues.

If all else fails, and there are no mods involved, you can sent a bug-report to Support, using the link below.

The game crashes to desktop with the "Whoa! Cyberpunk 2077 has flatlined" pop-up.

Here's an example of a stack trace:

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
File: <Unknown>(0)

The error report is:

Version=1
EventType=REDEngineErrorReport
EventTime=0
ReportIdentifier=ffffffff-ffffffff-00000001-00000000
Sig[0].Name=StackHash
Sig[0].Value=0x0000000000000000
Sig[1].Name=ErrorReason
Sig[1].Value=Unhandled exception
Sig[2].Name=InternalVersion
Sig[2].Value=3.0.3906793 P4CL: 4790877 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Release
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.22000.2.0.0.256.1

I've already sent more than a hundred of these crash reports. However, given the peculiarity of how the game crashes (i.e., early on after loading into an area), I was hoping that others might have some idea of what might be going on. I suspect there's an issue with how the game is utilizing the PC's resources.

The PC's cooling is fine. It's not running into errors due to overheating or anything like that.

Update! I think I fixed this problem.

It seems that the cause of the crash was RAM instability due to XMP. After disabling XMP, I haven't seen any crashes in the manner described above. It took a long time for me to figure this out because Cyberpunk was the first game I played after assembling my build, but after experiencing crashes in other games, I eventually discovered that XMP was the problem. The fact that the game was only crashing in the first 10 minutes just shows that RAM instability has unexpected results.

RAM specs: G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series DDR5 2 x 16GB, Model F5-5600U3636C16GX2-RS5W (Timing: 36-36-36-76)

My motherboard bios (on the Asus B660-I) is version 1009, which is currently out of date. Recent bios updates could have improved memory stability. In any case, it seems that many users have reported stability problems with DDR5 in the past several months, so if you're getting random CTDs, it's worth looking into memory stability as a cause.

Last edited:
Top Bottom