Some criticism about the design of the board (long, effort post)

+
Some criticism about the design of the board (long, effort post)

Note: I don't think the current board is that bad, I would probably still enjoy the game, I just think it has HUGE potential.

I made this post because I think the board could stand to improve on some things. Let's look at the gwent board: https://www.playgwent.com/img/screen...explored.3.jpg

I think the cold, neutral coloured theme does not work well with gwent, and the witcher world. It just overall looks bland and boring. The buff icons and the weather icons also have a blue/grey old colour. Even the red colour on the enemy's icons on the rows ooks washed out. The glowing, strong colours where your and your enemy's hand are placed, however are highlighted. By highlighting these spots, as well as having bland and washed out colours everywhere else, tells the player that your hand is the most important area/thing in the game, which is obviously isn't. Also, the sides of the board has a generic wood texture, which adds to how bland it looks like, especially if the board is overall bright. The weather icons are also emerald-green, which just looks out of place. The board as a whole also looks a bit claustraphobic, or isolated I guess? You made a weird decision regarding how to highlight the actual board. It's liften up a few inches and is surrounded by iron frames. It doesn't really work. Like I said before, It's really at the player's hand the player's eyes gets attracted to. The numbers at the left side of the board are white/grey with nothing to highlight them, which also adds to the blandness. Heck, even your own total damage counter isn't highlighted, only the player with the most damage has it highlighted, but it's highlighted in the same area as where your hand is placed, which makes an area with tons of highlighting even more highlighted. The board honestly kinda looks like the hearthstone board, but desaturated to fit the darker tone of the witcher games.

I think the gwent board from the witcher 3 surpasses the board in gwent in many fields: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160617201824

First of all, it got a warm, dark colourscheme, which really fits the tavern theme. It is dark overall, and is lighter at the middle. That's perfect. It also makes the weather effects look more effective, because of their cold colours. Second of all, they don't have any exaggerated colours. They highlight things with yellow, which fits the theme of the game, and makes it easier on the eyes. It also has some really cool, but subtle wood carvings.

Rather than having the board like it looks like now, it would be cooler to having it looking like a homemade gwent board carved from wood, and having the coloured overall warmer and darker.

You know, this standalone gwent game feels more "digital". By digital I mean, like, it feels more like a video game than playing gwent with a stranger you met at a tavern in the 13th century. When zooming a card, we see a fancy glow behind the card, some fancy, stylized, minimalistic interface shows up telling you the details of the cards, lifted board with iron frames and with detailed icons on each row, coloured and glowing spots on each player's side... I don't know about you, but I envisioned the game as some kind of roleplaying of some guy playing gwent at the local tavern, not just playing with someone online. That is also what the witcher 3 did to us, it threw us into a world heavily affected by war, and everywhere you looked reflected that. I kinda want the witcher card game to have a atmosphere paralell to the average witcher tavern.

Although it's far from the same game as gwent, I think the dota 2 hud is a good example. http://i.imgur.com/opURJ.jpg

The hud isn't at all distracting to the actual gameplay in the middle of the screen, the lighting isn't too much or too little, creates a neat 3d illusion, buttons and stuff are intergrated well, and fits the setting of the game; a medieval world riddled with magic.

What made the witcher 3 my favorite game since when I started playing it in december 2015, was because it felt good, and that's what makes a game good. The witcher 3 had tons of flaws, more than most games, but it still felt like one of the best game I've ever played. Like, when obi-wan died in the first star wars film, it had pretty damn bad effects, but it still made us sad. I want the gwent game to make me feel the same way. I want the same atmosphere as in TW3 and I want to make one of the best mini-games to date to be ported to an actual game the best way possible, because that is what this game deserves.

pls guys dont let 1.5 hours of my life go to waste.

Last edited:
This is my huge criticism as well, don't get me wrong I still enjoyed the game but just that overall feel and look was just ''meh, typical!'', nothing very unique (love those card animations though), it has such a potential, make it look more weathered, used, this will only improve your game, because that first impression is very important before you invest yourself deeper, and you want to distinguish yourself from rest of these kind of games, just really hope you guys are listening to these feedbacks and make appropriate changes, because you need to improve Gwent's longevity, looking unique is one of the ways that helps that!...

Last edited:
honesty making the board with different looks wood cravings and the such and making them a few dollars like 2 for each board could be really cool I don't mind the look but it dose look like a video game and it seems it's not just a card game it's to play big battles in single player. So keep the table now latter on sell new tables people can buy for a few bucks, everyone wins. it would still have the the 3 rows and buff and weather rows it would not interfere with the game at all just look different.

I believe at some point they will implement different board skins (just like HS did). But i hope they let us change into what we like and not random as HS did.

The buff icons and the weather icons also have a blue/grey old colour. Even the red colour on the enemy's icons on the rows ooks washed out.

I actually think in case of the weather it is only the fog that looks that way. Might have potential for improvement.
As for the "washed out" colors, I actually like them.

Also, the sides of the board has a generic wood texture, which adds to how bland it looks like, especially if the board is overall bright. The weather icons are also emerald-green, which just looks out of place.

Wood is absolutely okay for my taste. But I would not say no to different kinds of wood or even a stone background as an option.
As for the icons, yeah, I agree, the green seems a little low energy.

The board as a whole also looks a bit claustraphobic, or isolated I guess? You made a weird decision regarding how to highlight the actual board. It's liften up a few inches and is surrounded by iron frames. It doesn't really work.

For me it does. But I equally like the style of the board in TW3.

The numbers at the left side of the board are white/grey with nothing to highlight them, which also adds to the blandness. Heck, even your own total damage counter isn't highlighted, only the player with the most damage has it highlighted,

100% agree, this HAS to change. There needs to be some variety in showing the different rows and actually highlighting all the damage numbers, the ones in each row AS WELL as your total damage, even if you are not in front. (Idk, just do the same you did for the leading player and remove the "glow"-effect).

In the end, some of the things you say I agree with, others not, but I think other players might have completely different opinions as well. So here is my idea: What if CDPR gives us different board skins that are either rotated randomly each match, OR, maybe they could let you CHOOSE which board you want for yourself? 3 or 4 different "board designs" sometime after release, to bring more variety into the game. I mean if you play a couple of matches it might make more interesting to provide a change in scenery.

I can see a stone board (that would fit well with a Witcher 2 Vergen theme), an "old tavern board", a "Witcher 3 style" board, a "normal" board (a.k.a. the current one), maybe a version with leaves and grass around or on it (Scoia'teal version?), etc, etc.

Different backgrounds and board designs stimulate the brain while playing multiple games, and we have different feelings to the boards, from isolated and cold over warm and welcoming, to relaxing and soothing. And CDPR has a lot of creative heads. I'm sure they can think up some different designs.

I guess I could elaborate a little bit about the texture and layout of the board. I also think wood texture is completely fine, but it looks too clean and factory-made. You can see on the left and right side of the board that the table isn't made out of planks, but rather one whole plank, which just looks weird, and I doubt was common in the 1200s. The iron frames and iron buff/weather icons also look factory-made and perfect. I just think it would be nicer to make it looks older and "worse" as weird as it may sound. Making it darker and warmer colour to make it feel more like a tavern is still my #1 solution to making the board better though, the lighting can do so much.

About the thing about the icons being "washed out", I think it's important to have stronger, clearer colours in the middle of the board so the blue and red at the top/bottom seem much more important than the actual board. Look at this: http://image.prntscr.com/image/0dba82f4547c41e4884984baf872685b.png Dont you agree that it looks much better with a stronger red colour?

Creating other optional board skins is a good suggestion though, thanks to those who mentioned it.

Top Bottom