[Spoiler] As a Netrunner: Canto Mk.6 or Quantum Tuner?

+
I'm struggling to decide which of the both are better suited for a Netrunner build.

Yes, the Conto Mk.6 provides the awesome effect of the Blackwall Quickhack but the upload time is very long. Also it has only four quickhack slots, i.e. five quickhacks including the BWQ. I can live with the latter but the former appears to be somewhat useless as I can kill most of the mobs before the BWQ becomes active.

The Quantum Tuner not only provides more cooldown time for cyberware but also not only "on kill" as the Axolotl. The "main" stat to instantly restore the cooldown of another cyberware implant sounds interesting. However, the cooldown of the Quantum Tuner itself requires to be outside of combat and hence this effect can only happen once during a combat which makes it somewhat useless.

I hope some of you veteran netrunners can provide some pointers to help me decide.

Cheers Euclid

You can strongly decrease BW uploadtime by using a control hack infront of it.

there was a thread about the Canton cyberdeck in here and how to use it the most efficient way - @Farbros9 is a veteran regarding Canton/BW builds, not only how to use BW but also what kind of cyberware support its use as well. Maybe he steps in shortly. The Quantum is just a whole different thing, its more flexible with different/normal netrunner builds and shows more varity in playstyle compared to the Canton which needs a lot of specifics to shine on full potential. A big plus on the Quantum is that you can overclock 2 times in a row without cooldown that could be fun as well. - i own two runners myself tho - one Blackwall Runner and one Quantum Runner, personally i cant suggest which one is "better" because they are both fun and way different to each other...

After all you first should decide your path in "Firestarter" because both are tied to different progression choices/endings you cant get both at the same playthrough... which is super sad : /

edit: found the thread - have fun reading it

Last edited:
I see the call :D.

Axolotl not only recharges the cyberware, it also prolongs the active one. It means that each kill of Blackwall or any other quickhack gives you few more seconds of Overclock.

Because the last 3 kills are instant for Blackwall, you can have Overclock being active for many minutes, when using blackwall quickhack. That makes quantum tuner not needed at all.

4 Slots are pretty much enough at the point where you get Canto, as you can completely relay on ultimate quickhacks rather than queues.

Canto is more about fun, than about strength. But Quantum Tuner in case of quickhacking is pretty much useless as long as you have tech perks and Axolotl.

Last edited:
I have tried both, but not on the current patch version. I didn't like the canto; the four slots just felt too limiting, but that was just my personal preference. I like having access to different quickhack combinations, without having to swap them. Also, maybe they patched it, but the cost of using blackwall on bosses was very high, while the damage was not impressive. The only interesting aspect of canto is that it speaks. :)
QT was somewhat useful, as it refreshed overclock immediately.

But Quantum Tuner in case of quickhacking is pretty much useless as long as you have tech perks and Axolotl.
I wouldn’t say useless in general it shines if you are not always try to min/max your OC uptime making it more flexible to rejoin the state - and it also supports other cyberware cooldowns as well.

i would say they are just not comparable and are strong/handy in their own ways ^^
I didn't like the canto; the four slots just felt too limiting, but that was just my personal preference. I like having access to different quickhack combinations, without having to swap them. (…) The only interesting aspect of canto is that it speaks.
that’s what I mentioned above with full potential and what we discussed in the other thread as well IF you build your runner specifically around Canton/BW you won’t need any other battle quickhack at all (aside of Bosses but synapses is a no brainer here) and can use all 4 slots for support QHs which most of the time are more than enough - if you don’t build around it it’s still strong but the restrictions on RAM/uploadtime/slots feel heavier - and that’s what many runner who just „tested“ it complain about ^^

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say useless in general it shines if you are not always try to min/max your OC uptime making it more flexible to rejoin the state - and it also supports other cyberware cooldowns as well.
What I mean is, that your overclock is not going to end for the whole fight, if you have tech perks and axolotl, which makes quantum tuner useless, as it will have nothing to recharge.

that’s what I mentioned above with full potential and what we discussed in the other thread as well IF you build your runner specifically around Canton/BW you won’t need any other battle quickhack at all (aside of Bosses but synapses is a no brainer here) and can use all 4 slots for support QHs which most of the time are more than enough - if you don’t build around it it’s still strong but the restrictions on RAM/uploadtime/slots feel heavier - and that’s what many runner who just „tested“ it complain about ^^
That was not my point. I just liked having more quickhacks slotted on a deck, because it made the gameplay less repetitive. Canto was just less interesting to use in the long run.

Thanks all for the feedback. :)

@Netrunner2go I have both endings on my toon saved and testing both, the Quantum Tuner with Tetratronic Rippler Mk.5 and the Canto Mk.6. The former works well but the Canto causes problems with cooldown. I use Ping, BW and then activate OC and use Synapse Burnout to extend OC duration. Still BW CD is long.

@Farbros9 After watching your video (big thanks for that) I will give it another shot. I'm still not sure how you get such a short CD with BW. But I took a screenshot of your cyberware and skills and will try it ;)

Cheers Euclid

Thanks all for the feedback. :)

@Netrunner2go I have both endings on my toon saved and testing both, the Quantum Tuner with Tetratronic Rippler Mk.5 and the Canto Mk.6. The former works well but the Canto causes problems with cooldown. I use Ping, BW and then activate OC and use Synapse Burnout to extend OC duration. Still BW CD is long.

@Farbros9 After watching your video (big thanks for that) I will give it another shot. I'm still not sure how you get such a short CD with BW. But I took a screenshot of your cyberware and skills and will try it ;)

Cheers Euclid
There is a perk which cuts the upload time by 50% for the second quickhack in the queue + ex disk which cuts it by 35% + bd wreath which cuts it by additional 10%. That makes the first upload almost instant and all the others reduced by 45%, because that quickhack uploads faster with each next spread, it is getting crazy fast at the end.

As of build, it is not the latest version, here:
Build.jpg

Everything white is essential. The rest is only boosting survivability and weapon damage. So you can completely skip on reflexes, for example if you would hide from the enemies, instead of facing them. Or SMG, Tech, Monowire perks can be completely removed to get the maximum gorilla arms fun, maxing the blunt weapon tree, etc.

Last edited:
@Farbros9 : Thanks again for the info. I'm running your build (well, the essential parts) and it works great. Most trouble I have is getting away after a battle with MT and the persistent encouters with NW.

Now I'm trying the QT build but I'm hesitant to replace Axolotl.

"Axolotl not only recharges the cyberware, it also prolongs the active one"

This is not in the description or did I miss something else?

Cheers Euclid

@Farbros9 : Thanks again for the info. I'm running your build (well, the essential parts) and it works great. Most trouble I have is getting away after a battle with MT and the persistent encouters with NW.

Now I'm trying the QT build but I'm hesitant to replace Axolotl.

"Axolotl not only recharges the cyberware, it also prolongs the active one"

This is not in the description or did I miss something else?

Cheers Euclid
Yeah, netwatch can be a problem if using Canto, but they stop doing it after some time. Getting away is not an issue at all, as you can have a double jump and use roofs to escape or optical camo which in combination with PL perks forces the enemy to lose you and cancel the combat state.

If you have QT you don't need Axolotl.

As of why it prolongs cyberware, I think that it's boosts any timer. So it reduces the cooldown of Overclock, Blood Pump or Kerenzikov while they not active and prologs them, when they are active.

My impression after playing both, the Quantum Tuner (replacing Axolotl) and the Canto Mk.6 (replacing Tetratronic Rippler Mk.5), for many hours:
  • Canto Mk.6
    • Pro: Although repetitive eventually the comments of the BW AI are funny. Fully upgraded the range of 30m is very useful especially in close quarter encounters. It will propagate to every enemy within the sphere of 30m radius irrespectively of walls and floors.
    • Con: It is relatively slow even if you have the maximum of quickhack upload time reduction. So you need to dash, jump and hide (crouch + camo) quite often to avoid too much damage.
  • Quantum Tuner
    • Pro: Fast kills. Once you have an optimized postion (even double jump in mid air) trigger overclock and spam system burnout + cyberware malfunction on every enemy. Takes just a few seconds to clear all and you got one free overclock thanks to the QT.
    • Con: QT cooldown will only start outside of combat. This is a rather mild disadvantage as most of the time all enemies are dead already. However, sometimes in prolonged fights (for example MaxTac) you need to dash, jump and crouch + camo while waiting for the CD of overclock to expire which is not that long anyway.
Thought I share that with you, fellow Netrunners, and looking forward to any comments. :)

Cheers Euclid

Top Bottom