(Spoilers) My thoughts after finishing the main story.

+
My apologies for the wall of text, but I really wanted to share my thoughts somewhere, and hoping to do it in a constructive way.

So I've pretty much been playing the game on a non-stop since it's release and today finally decided to jump into that elevator.

I wanna start off with a few positive words. I really did enjoy the game throughly and appreciate the hard work and endless love the devs have clearly poured into it. I am grateful and happy to have experienced this game and story. The characters and storytelling is superb, so much that I felt I had to join the forums and make this post. Treat it like some sort of closure I suppose, because that is one of the biggest flaws in the endings I feel.

The lack of closure.

I like to play through RPGs with a set "personality" and moral compass I decide for my character. For my first playthrough, I decided that survival and staying in control over his own fate was most important for my V. For most of the part I felt I managed to stay true to that. I actually enjoyed the dilemma that was given with Jhonny's presence. Stay true to ourselves or join the ideals of another. And even though I never really get to like him or his personality, being the good guy I decided to honour some of his wishes. After all I'm dead on set to get rid of him, I might as well offer him some enjoyment and perhaps tie up some loose ends with his old friends.

But as the story got closer to the conclusion, and the glitches and attacks got more severe, I was more wary of offering him control. And it felt some of the NPC comments were confirming me that was the right way.

So of course the most logical course of action was to go with what I knew had the highest chance of succeeding, and that is to go with Arasaka.
After all, Alt's comment about losing my soul (Which btw I feel V ingame swept over rather easily) wasn't too promising. Only then to be lectured by Misty about loyalty. That was one of the first dissapointments and "punishment" I felt for my choices. But it was fine, she has the right to be upset, and I have the right to survive.

My second dissapointment was when Jhonny lectured me about my decisions at the digital dining table. Even tho it was clear that this is what I always wanted, and I even agreed to his requests to offer him sone kind opportunity to tie loose ends, he felt unfair. But I suppose I can understand his anger.

I wanna take this chance again to express how impressed I was with CDPR's storytelling. Throughout the whole game and at the recovery scene after the operation, I'm pretty sure I felt all the anger and restlessness that V felt, and perhaps slowly losing faith that I will ever recover.

And of course, as things started to improve, the biggest slap in the face was delivered. That it was all for nothing. The corp that I had no actual interest or ties with is thriving thanks to my own actions, the people who are left down on Earth are almost all dissapointed or de-attached by now.

Obviously signing a contract to sell my literal soul for an uncertain time and outcome was not an option. As a street kid, it was simply off the table. So for another six month we went to experience all the carnal pleasures we could off-screen.

Now, I wanna state that the inevitable death is not necesarrily what bothers me. It's more the lack options presented after the news. I wanna see a lession learnt here. A conclusion.

I got 6 months left that I have full control over still. Obviously, the Arasaka achieving immortality is a result of our bad decision and something that we don't agree with. Okay, great. We learnt our lession. Focusing on ourselves and our own selfish goals clearly didn't pay off, then it's time to see the bigger picture.

We live to fight another day and time to make use of that hard earned extra 6 months. Now in full control of our own body and fully driven by our own motivation.
We got the allies, we got the power. Taking revenge on Arasaka for the whole ordeal would have felt that at least in the end, we achieved something.

So yes, all in all, I don't mind to be dissapointed by the results of my decisions. It's a cyberpunk story after all. But then, please at least give me the option to go down in a blaze of glory on my terms. Not as someone else's puppet.

Perhaps in one of the DLCs? I really hope so, because as it stands now, all we did, all we sacraficed and gained... it resulted in nothing.
And if this really wasn't the end of V's story, then I feel CDPR should make it more obvious in order ease the emptiness left behind.

I will make a seperate post about my feedback on the romances, especially on the only male gay option. I don't wanna make this any longer.

Thank you for reading and please share your own thoughts!

Vejsa

Forum regular
Yeah there's a lot of posts about this... Just being left with nothing. It's genuinely just bad to end like this. I'm pretty exhausted of commenting these kinda things everywhere I can but I just hope CDPR realises this and does something about it. They're poor excuses for endings.

Yeah there's a lot of posts about this... Just being left with nothing. It's genuinely just bad to end like this. I'm pretty exhausted of commenting these kinda things everywhere I can but I just hope CDPR realises this and does something about it. They're poor excuses for endings.

I know. I've read some of the posts. I just wanted to express myself just to fill that void a little bit for myself, and perhaps helping with calling the devs attention.
I appreacite your inputs on the forum!

Vejsa

Forum regular
I appreciate you helping us get the devs to notice. Their game is just wrong.

Is it ever stated when V finally got there body back why they cant upload to another chip an be put into a clone or something?

Might be a awesome journey for V an there other half

I hate to be the guy on this forum always supporting the game, but I've played 2 of the endings and seen the rest and I think they work perfectly.

Cyberpunk is dystopian sci-fi, the majority of cyberpunk stories end with bad or neutral endings. V was dead the moment the bullet hit him, this was never a story about saving V it was about how he chooses to die and the legacy he leaves behind.

I would also argue that the Panam ending while not exactly happy offers a glimmer of hope.

Last edited:
I heard they cut out 60% of content to be in time.
And I hope they just didn't have time to finish proper endings to made that as temporary solution cause after all you coming back to state before last mission.

Is it ever stated when V finally got there body back why they cant upload to another chip an be put into a clone or something?

Might be a awesome journey for V an there other half

Well in my ending there was no gurantee that he would get a body any time soon. So it literally seemed like a soul prison. Which for me didn't sound like a viable option.

And I imagineif the DLC will be a continuation, then it probably will be after one of the reupload endings.

Vejsa

Forum regular
I hate to be the guy on this forum always supporting the game, but I've played 2 of the endings and seen the rest and I think they work perfectly.

Cyberpunk is dystopian sci-fi, the majority of cyberpunk stories end with bad or neutral endings. V was dead the moment the bullet hit him, this was never a story about saving V it was about how he chooses to die and the legacy he leaves behind.

I would also argue that the Panam ending while not exactly happy offers a glimmer of hope.
Except they did say a few times "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself". You're built up the whole game with the premise of saving yourself, and the description for the game talks about an immortality chip, not a chip that murders you.

I heard they cut out 60% of content to be in time.
And I hope they just didn't have time to finish proper endings to made that as temporary solution cause after all you coming back to state before last mission.

I've heard 30% and 40% from other sources, and I don't believe any of the figures come from valid sources.

The way the game deals with post game content (reverting back to before the final mission) has been done in games before, usually because the events of the games ending would restrict the players options for continued play (for example the death of major characters or the loss of locations would hamper the players ability to complete side content).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the game. I really love and care for it, that is why I wanna offer my feedback.

And I'm all in for sad endings, but even so, it's important to offer the player closure, or make them feel the journey they went through was rewarded somehow. But after this ending, I just felt cheated.

As Vejsa mentions above, the game, especially the street kid path themes around survival. You are in control over your own fate. I felt giving Jhonny over control was against that narrative.

Except they did say a few times "You can't save the world, but you can save yourself". You're built up the whole game with the premise of saving yourself, and the description for the game talks about an immortality chip, not a chip that murders you.

Yes it was an immortality chip, for the personality on the chip.

And just because characters said he could save himself is not a guarantee.

I understand why some people might want a happy ending, but I would rather have a bad ending than a story that pulls a maguffin out of thin air just for the sake of a happy ending.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the game. I really love and care for it, that is why I wanna offer my feedback.

And I'm all in for sad endings, but even so, it's important to offer the player closure, or make them feel the journey they went through was rewarded somehow. But after this ending, I just felt cheated.

As Vejsa mentions above, the game, especially the street kid path themes around survival. You are in control over your own fate. I felt giving Jhonny over control was against that narrative.
there's a whole forum post dedicated to seeing if people wanted a "happy" ending in the game right now it's super hot topic that i hope will get cdpr's attention.

That is a good point. However at no point is control taken from V. He chooses to hand over control to Johnny, or he chooses to live out his time with Panam or to go out in a blaze of glory or to end it all.

It's always his choice.
Post automatically merged:

You mean like pulling Keanu Reaves' character out of the grave with an immortality chip? xD

Oh no that's a completely acceptable Maguffin :)

I would argue that the chip is less of a maguffin but more like a major plot point required for the story to take place at all.

Yes it was an immortality chip, for the personality on the chip.

And just because characters said he could save himself is not a guarantee.

I understand why some people might want a happy ending, but I would rather have a bad ending than a story that pulls a maguffin out of thin air just for the sake of a happy ending.
With everything that happens in the game, it's illogical to you that someone could repair V after removing johnny? Yikes

That is a good point. However at no point is control taken from V. He chooses to hand over control to Johnny, or he chooses to live out his time with Panam or to go out in a blaze of glory or to end it all.

It's always his choice.

Oh no that's a completely acceptable Maguffin :)

I would argue that the chip is less of a maguffin but more like a major plot point required for the story to take place at all.
Indeed, but as I said before, in my opinion choosing to keep control is not being rewarded. I'm fine with the bitter realization that getting rid of Jhonny didn't solve anything. But then I was still given 6 month. Why can't I finish the game by living out those last months? Maybe organize one last gig to destroy Mikoshi, as V, and not as Jhonny in V's body.

Because for me, the going out in a blaze option in game was Jhonny's way to go. Not my V's.

I'd argue a maguffin is still a maguffin, regardless of whether it's used to start a story or to end it. An artifact of unimaginable power that opens a huge can of worms and questions answers to which would ruin the story... Is a bad plot device.

I've heard 30% and 40% from other sources, and I don't believe any of the figures come from valid sources.

The way the game deals with post game content (reverting back to before the final mission) has been done in games before, usually because the events of the games ending would restrict the players options for continued play (for example the death of major characters or the loss of locations would hamper the players ability to complete side content).

In CP77 it's not in place. This ending should be just passing between first and second episode. So before going in you should do sidequests and leave it in state you want. So if you wont do Panam storyline you wont be in relations in second episode or same with Johnny's friends etc.

I really hope it will be fixed as for now it destroyed all pleasure of playing game. Even if they'll in january will add multiplayer it wont be same as in GTA 5 where I ended story and was very satisfied with ending and overall - really good story and post-ending gameplay. And went into online. Honestly even wanted some story DLC to get some more fun of story but after all I was satisfied. And after all Online mixed single past story with actual missions wich had also very positive impact.

Here I feel that ending doesnt matter as after all you getting some items from it and coming back to state before. So who cares? There's no choice as there's not following story just end. And I wont ever accept that state of game. I want ending expansion followed by next episode based on your previous choices.

I'd argue a maguffin is still a maguffin, regardless of whether it's used to start a story or to end it. An artifact of unimaginable power that opens a huge can of worms and questions answers to which would ruin the story... Is a bad plot device.

Ok ill give you that, but I generally feel using it to start a story is slightly more acceptable than using it to tie up an ending in a nice little bow.

Indeed, but as I said before, in my opinion choosing to keep control is not being rewarded. I'm fine with the bitter realization that getting rid of Jhonny didn't solve anything. But then I was still given 6 month. Why can't I finish the game by living out those last months? Maybe organize one last gig to destroy Mikoshi, as V, and not as Jhonny in V's body.

Because for me, the going out in a blaze option in game was Jhonny's way to go. Not my V's.

That would make an awesome ending, hopefully we might see that option in DLC.

Top Bottom