Subcultures: the "Posergangs" of 2077?

+
Subcultures: the "Posergangs" of 2077?

I'd be interested in seeing various subcultures represented in-game, either as they appear today, or with a 2077 twist, including (but not limited to):

- Punks (naturally)
- Goths
- Rivetheads
- Trad Skins
- Rudeboys
- Greasers / Rockabilly
- Chappies
- Ravers / Candy-kids

and so on. Maybe even see factions of 'em spawning at different areas on the map, then seeing those groups that are opposed going at it with each other.

(I would, of course, be interested in seeing these groups, alongside the established gangs in Night City / Cyberpunk canon.)

What'cha think?

Well the poser gangers from the original game do need to be updated. So we have what nowadays, emos, hipsters?
You would also have the posergangs based off of computer games. Master Chiefs, The Alliance/Horde, The Marios...
And we will have to take a look at the media as well, The Twilighters, Hunger gamers, The muguls, etc...

I like dynamic worlds.
Worlds where things change because some NPC decided to walk from one side of the map to another and suddenly cause a riot. I'd love to see NPC's deciding with their own mind "Let's go chase those bastards off our place" instead of such being scripted events. So the question if I want to see gangs is a quite simple answer, Yes. But whatever or not they'll be static people who say at one place..

If they'll only stick to one place, then drastically limit the number of gangs. There's no point having 20 different gangs if they all just stand around picking their nose with no goal in mind.

Trekkies
Fireflies
Marvel Heroes
Star..Warsians? I dunno.
Master Chiefs, The Alliance/Horde, The Marios...
And we will have to take a look at the media as well, The Twilighters, Hunger gamers, The muguls, etc...
I'm sure CDPR can exercise enough poetic license so as not to incur copyright infringement, but what do you guys think about including current, existing subcultures?

If they'll only stick to one place, then drastically limit the number of gangs. There's no point having 20 different gangs if they all just stand around picking their nose with no goal in mind.
Agreed with this point. What's the point of having different factions and rivals, if there's no turf wars? =D

I think we could update this to"Juggalos", and call it a day. More targets to shoot at...

I'm sure CDPR can exercise enough poetic license so as not to incur copyright infringement, but what do you guys think about including current, existing subcultures?
It's an idea and would mesh well, but I think you'd have to make it "retro". Trekkies et all are there because they are classics. The current subcultures like emo and goth are not particularly classic, although some version of them will no doubt exist in the future.

Plus, they aren't really "Posergangs". Posers are copying specific cultural icons, like Star Trek or Sex PIstols. "Rudeboys" is more of a flavour for any gang than a Poser.

God I hate posergangs...

It's an idea and would mesh well, but I think you'd have to make it "retro". Trekkies et all are there because they are classics. The current subcultures like emo and goth are not particularly classic, although some version of them will no doubt exist in the future.

Plus, they aren't really "Posergangs". Posers are copying specific cultural icons, like Star Trek or Sex PIstols. "Rudeboys" is more of a flavour for any gang than a Poser.

True enough Blank, none of the things you listed are poser gangs...

As Sardi here notes, the people you listed are just gangs...

Posers are just cosplaying twats who think they are tough. (Not that I have anything against cosplayers, in fact I think a lot of em are pretty cool)

But turning yourself and all of your friends into the cast of gilligans island and not expecting every person around you with a gun, or even a stick, from murder death killing you just out of sheer annoyance is the definition naivete.

I don't mind if there is a random poser gang here or there, but I would not want them to have any significant role or presence in the game.

Other gangs, except Bozoz (because clowns make everything stupid) should be prevalent and dangerous, and serious threats. Expecially the boosters like Maelstrom.

I approve. By 2077, current subcultures are going to be soooo retro!

Yep. It'll be the gangs of the 50s all over again here and now. You know, the..flattops..and the...greasers everywhere you look. Damn, I can't believe I remembered that. Go go S.E. Hinton.

Except it was Socs. Oh, well.

I always loved the posergangs. I felt that they added a dash of total craziness to the whole thing.
Seen through the lens of maturity I think that they could be a great critique of the modern cult of celebrity.

Since we are talking about what could be I thought I'd list the posers that were in the old CP. Note that all the write ups are R. Talsorian's not mine.

Bradi Bunch: A small time family posergang, based on an old vidshow. The older members protect the "children" of the gang. Membership consists of runaway or orphaned children.

The Gilligans: A militant gay posergang, also based on an old vidshow. Members include Skippers(leaders), Professors(techs), Maryanns & Gingers(transsexuals) , and Gilligans(initiates). The Gilligans have recently moved from the Marina District (forced out by the Wild Things.) and have settled in the park.

The Kennedys: A posergang centered around the famous Kennedy family of the late 20th century. The Kennedys have no turf and can be found in any area of the city, from JFK in the Corprate zone to Bobby in the Combat Zone. Many suspect the leader of the gang is going to run for mayor next term.

Edison's: This posergang patterns itself on famous inventors. They relish the ingenious and sadistic. Second only to the Brainiac's for ingenuity, they excel in the construction of deathtraps and the like. Their turf is located in the eastern residential district.

The Fangs of Justice: This group of psychotics patterns itself after famous crimefighters of fiction. They like to think of themselves as a guardian gang, but in truth, will terrorize anyone they can get their hands on.

Western Stars: A combat posergang that idolizes western gunfighter philosophy, and mimics great gunslingers from film and video. The Stars use revolvers and are big an "fair" one-on-one gunfights. They keep their turf in the upper westside of South Night City.

The Valentino's: This posergang dedicated to the pursuit and seduction of the most attractive women in Night City. Experts in seduction, the more unattainable a woman is the more they try to bed her.The Valentino's only meet once every three months, to compare scorecards. The only danger the Valentinos pose is to men whose wives or girlfriends have an ATT of 9 or more. They will pursue these women until the bed them, or are scared off.

Personalities: One of the strangest posergangs in the City. When someone joins the Personalities, the person he will be Biosculpted into is picked randomly; If you get Lana Turner, you're Lana, if you get Abraham Lincoln, be ready to wear stovepipe hats. Your rank in the gang depends on how well you adjust to your roll. These people are the ultimate posers; once they are dropped into their roles, they live the life. All members can be recognized by the fine steel neck band they wear.

They could be arguments made that the Jack the Rippers, Bozos, and Philharmonic Vampires to be added to the list but, while the Rippers are not classified the others are prankster gangs in the book.

I could've sworn that there was a Trekkies gang in the books somewhere though.

Bozos like that clown of the 80s ( or 70s)?
I was thinking about Bosozokus, there are bosozokus in akira( kaneda and the clown gang), and they are really good CyPnk material.

They are japanese motorcicle/car gangs, violent, cause caos on the roads for fun.

View attachment 543

View attachment 544

Attachments

• later-bosozoku-710x400.jpg
    later-bosozoku-710x400.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Bosozoku04-710x443.jpg
    Bosozoku04-710x443.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 151
[...]
I could've sworn that there was a Trekkies gang in the books somewhere though.

There is. I'm not entirely sure where exactly, but I'd be willing to bet money that it can be found in either Protect & Serve or Home of the Brave/Land of the Free.

Western Stars: A combat posergang that idolizes western gunfighter philosophy, and mimics great gunslingers from film and video. The Stars use revolvers and are big an "fair" one-on-one gunfights. They keep their turf in the upper westside of South Night City.

The Valentino's: This posergang dedicated to the pursuit and seduction of the most attractive women in Night City. Experts in seduction, the more unattainable a woman is the more they try to bed her.The Valentino's only meet once every three months, to compare scorecards. The only danger the Valentinos pose is to men whose wives or girlfriends have an ATT of 9 or more. They will pursue these women until the bed them, or are scared off.

I can tolerate the Western Stars because I love the romanticism of Westerns and the desert skies.

The Valentino's however, will be made an example of. Hoping for Gang Eliminations where we can kill off an entire gang, down to the very last one and they disappear from Night City forever. All of them stabbed a thousand times in less than 4 seconds in the Mallplex. Leave them with the Slaughterhouse signature people usually call blood baths.

in 2020 there are a lot of gangs:

Booster Gang - cybered-up, cyberpsychotic thugs.
Chromers - chromatic rock fans.
Combat Gangs - street "warriors".
Drug Gangs - dealers, makers, & takers of drugs.
Eco-Gangs - localised eco-terrorists.
Exotic Gangs - flaunting far-out biosculpts.
Go Gangs - skaters, bikers, & speed racers.
Guardian Gangs - guardian angels of the streets.
Netrunner Gangs - tight-knit hackers & data thieves.
Nihilist Gangs - it's better to burn out than to fade away...
Nostalgia Gangs - groups who dream of yesteryear.
Party Gangs - futuristic ravers and party animals.
Political Gangs - militant political activists.
Poser Gangs - walking in someone else's shoes.
Prank Gangs - street comedians who get the last laugh.
Puppet Gangs - corporate controlled youth.
Racist Gangs - preaching the superiority of the master race.
Taggers - using territorial pissings of spray paint to mark turf.
Theo-Gangs - oh yes, He's testing us! He's testing us..!
Uni-Sex Gangs - futuristic bra-burners and male chauvinists.

Gang Size:
Tiny Gang (1-5 Members)
Small Gang (6-10 Members)
Mid-Sized Gang (11-25 Members)
Large Gang (26-50 Members)
Huge Gang (51-100 Members)

Gang Turf:
No Turf
Couple of Buildings
One City Block
Two or Three City Blocks
Four to Six City Blocks