Suggestion: The new and improved coin mechanic

+
The coin mechanic is very similar to the artifact mechanic, and arguably worse. Coins can be hoarded just like points in artifacts with Order ability, and then used all at once with different units (on deploy) for big swings, and that multiple times, similar to artifacts. For the opponent, there's nothing to interact with, not even on a binary level like artifacts. And that's not fun, not fun at all. So let's change that, because coins are actually very cool.

Instead of saving coins in one general pouch at the leader, let them stay with the units that provide or create coins. These units will have a pouch icon with the number of coins they hold. When they have coins, they can give these coins to other units who have an ability to use coins. A unit that kills a card that holds coins will get the coins from that card and can give them to another unit. This way coins can flow across the battlefield. Units who hold coins are at risk for being targeted for extra value and need to be strong or protected somehow. I think this would be a very fun and highly interactable mechanic with lots of possibilities in combination with existing mechanics. New cards for all factions may use coins as well, especially the new Novigrad: Guilds expansion I proposed in the "What's Your Opinion of the Syndicate Faction? [Poll] " topic. :smart:

What you've described is basically how Demavend and Charges currently work in NR, except that only selective units can give charges.

Last edited:
Syndicate is basically NR without order mechanic. Sales have to be made so I'm not gonna expect a hotfix anytime soon. Now I just instantly leave when I see syndicate player. It's just not fun to play at all. Even skellige and monsters with 11+ ghouls were not so annoying before patches.

What you've described is basically how Demavend and Orders currently work in NR, except that only selective units can give charges.
There are no Orders or anything like Orders in this proposal. Coins can be compared with charges, but charges cannot be easily stolen like coins. Coins should flow. Most importantly, the uninteractability of the current coin mechanic would be gone.

There are no Orders or anything like Orders in this proposal.

I typed Orders, but I meant Charges.

Most importantly, the uninteractability of the current coin mechanic would be gone.

I am in favor of finding ways to interact with Coins, but not by making it (too) similar to Charges. It either needs to be different enough or exactly the same. But not something samey with a flavor.

I am in favor of finding ways to interact with Coins, but not by making it (too) similar to Charges. It either needs to be different enough or exactly the same. But not something samey with a flavor.
Unfortunately coins are already like charges, charges that are hoarded in the pouch. If coins would stay with the units on the board and can be stolen by any unit that kills, that would already be a lot better. Thinking about charges, they can actually be replaced with coins according to this proposal. Demavend can give coins for soldier's pay (or a Dragon's treasure). Makes more sense than charges.

DRK3

Forum veteran
(...)
2nd, the coins mechanic - i noticed there are no cards to influence your opponent's purse, in case of a mirror match. This worries me a bit. For example, a player can start by using specials to get coins on the first few turns, reducing interactivity, a bit like no-units decks, which were dealt with so recently.

For example, a player can start with playing a few artefacts, denying possible damage from the opponent, but there's artefact removal as a counter. If a player is just getting coins with specials, there's nothing you can do about it.
(...)

This is what i said on monday, on my predictions topic. I dont know if the OP saw that, but now that i've tried and experienced the coin mechanic, i feel different.

It's true that coins are non interactable and so non-counterable, but that isnt a big problem, for several reasons:

1. One of the best things about the syndicate, is that it changed the meta so removal is not so prevalent, so things actually stay on board for more than 1 turn. So, unless you're running an old SK or SC removal deck, the coin spells probably wont be a big problem.

2. Crimes that generate coins arent that great. Most generate 3-6 coins, and its unlikely any player will play more than one or two before putting anything on the board.

3. The coin limit. If there was no limit, things could definitely get out of hand, specially considering how easy it is to reach the current max (9), so you cant just focus on generating coins, it's always a balance of generating and spending them.

So, i think the coin mechanic itself is perfectly fine, its just some cards that need tweaks, from provision cost increases to number of uses/cooldowns.

It's true that coins are non interactable and so non-counterable, but that isnt a big problem
This is where you lose me big time. Both these concepts ruin a game, as already clearly shown by similar stuff (artifacts, Immune, Usurper). For maximum complexity and strategic play (fun!), "non-interactable" and "non-counterable" should be reduced as much as possible.

I like an idea of topic. Except, I can hardly imagine, how money can be transferred: must money-user-card choose the rich card or must the rich card firstly transfer the money to the card, which needs it? Both ways seems too complicated and gameplay garbaging.
And it really seems like charges. But what about charges? What is it? Why Saskia Dragon can be charged the same way as catapult or mage? Charge is too abstract and universal. It looks bad. I think, charges must be denied for easy transfer, cause it looks unlogical and ununderstandable, when, for example NR spy steal a charge from catapult and gives it to a dragon. Where is logic here? It's odd. Money is better in this case, cause they are defined. Charges can be used only for limiting some abilities as @_Mirage offered here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...5-pages-only-for-goodwill-people-xd.11001529/
Another charge using is looking bad.
Dear developers, u have PTR, so just make all cards like it is described in the _Mirage's document, and I think, that u'll see, that game is played fun. Timers are much better then orders and coins, which must be triggered by player. Orders and coins are too slow and predictable, they make game boring.
Timers are very cool, they was very interesting in Witcher 1, when u must attack by time. Timers is used in Dark Souls popular game series. If u don't jump and hit in time, u r dead there. The same can be done in Gwent. So, timers are cool everywhere. They make u think more tactically, it is more skill, then just using orders or coins for ability spam.
If u have timers, u can prepare many combos, and u can from other side have time to deny opponent combos by some timer combos of urs. It a big field for tactics and players' interaction. While orders and coins does not give us such possibility - one turn maximum for orders - it is too quick and binary.
Post automatically merged:

To avoid coin transfer for ur idea, Archan6el, I suggest this way: all the money must be displayed like player's resource. For example, one card have one coin, another has two, so the player's resource is three coins. So it's easy to spend them, no garbaging transfers and so on. But another question appears here - what card must pay first? The most rich? Or that, who has gain the money first? Still this adds some complications, what makes an idea still not so good. Another question: what if rich creature destroyed by spell? Does these money go to hero?
Adding another resource to the game is not good. It makes game too complex. It will be too complex to earn this resource during the battle and to calculate it's normal spending. If u make too many resources, entities, it's become too hard to control the game, and the game becomes unpopular like M&M: Duels of Champions with it's standart unnamed resource, mana, strength and fortune resources or like Artifact with armor, coins, health and attack resources on the three screens! It's too many and it's not interesting to play such a game. Maximum simplicity with maximum interesting mechanics - is a keystone to success. Look at HS: it has just mana, health and attack. Easy to control. Gwent was much better without coins: just health! No mana, no attack. I think developers must not make it more complex with coins, orders and other additional resources. It is needed because of many cards lying on the field and that's why because of bigger complexity of their control. If u have many cards not only with health, but with armor or mana and so on, it'll bee too complex, too hard to understand the battlefield. It's better to avoid such things. Noone likes headpain. (Although, I don't think that armor is a bad idea. It is not so complicated like coins).

Last edited:
Top Bottom