[Suggestions] Vendor mechanics

+
I was somewhat disappointed with vendors, their interfaces, animations (or lack thereof) and items.
Here's what I expected, assumed and suggest:

Weapons
Probably the first or second type vendor you'll encounter. Weapon vendors have the most content dedicated to them, besides cyberdocs.
I wasn't surprised that you could sell these grimy shops anything. I think they work mostly fine, the street cred limits are meh, what they charge versus what you get for items is ridiculous as always, the 50 piece limit for crafting & upgrade components is far too small for Common-Epic, but too high for Legendary components.

Junk shops
Junk shops should
- in my opinion - be the only shops that accept all item categories. They have the least problems overall. I'll just mention here that I was okay with the vendor UI when I first visited Wilson, but it was diappointing to find out that only cyberdocs have a somewhat different design to theirs.

Clothing
If there has to be a UI here, instead of a more fluid system (yes, like GTA), then there should at least be an option to display the item on your character before you buy it. I honestly expected clothing vendors (and the wardrobe in V's apartment) to have a simplified version of your inventory screen's clothing section as part of the UI.

Medpoints
These are supposed to be pharmacys, right? They shouldn't accept weapons, clothing and all that good stuff as payment. In a puritan game, you would only be able to buy from the cyber and punk pharmacists there, but what I expected was for them to at least only accept their item category as payment.

Netrunners
Considering there's so few of these in the game, they really should have sold you recepies for quickhacks. Because if you're at the Intelligence level where you don't need the recepies you probably don't need to use vendors either, since you get so many access points and so many quickhack components, even if you jack into a few every couple missions. Netrunners make more sense than medpoints, but again: Why do these people just accept all my junk as payment?

Melee
I believe there's barely more melee vendors than there are netrunners. Same UI and the best melee weapons are iconics you find in the world anyway, so they are only really useful to get mods for your weapons. And still they just let you unload all your junk on them. Might also be a missed opportunity to have repeatable fists fights at their locations, since Coach Fred already is one of them.

Food (for thought)
These are just straight disappointing and strange at the same time...
consume.PNG

So you have this impressive variety of consumables that should be sold at medpoints, fast food joints, bars, restaruants and so on. There's so much variety that it's actually annoying to try and slim the list down. It's faster to just drink and eat it all. The bigger problem though: The actual status effects don't differ for most consumables.
  1. Uncommon and above are the superior healing items for Health, Stamina and RAM units. This is the only example of variety in stats (healing speeds and duration)
  2. Food ALWAYS applies EXACTLY 450 seconds of the Nourishment status (max health +5%, rgeb +0.5% outside combat)
  3. Non-alcoholic beverages ALWAYS apply EXACTLY 450 seconds of the Hydration status (max stamina +10%, regen +50%)
  4. Alcoholic beverages ALWAYS apply EXACTLY 30 seconds of reduced movement speed (10%) and weapon accuracy (50%)
Was there really no time to switch the durations and effects for foods and drinks? The crunch must have been insane (and far bigger problems on consoles just much more pressing for release) if this just wasn't deemed important enough to do.

Ripperdocs
Talking about cyberware itself would be too much for one post, so I'll just say that at the very least the big modification like legs, arms, eyes and a few others should have had cutscenes like in the beginning with Vik. Sure, you can have a generic cutscene for most cyberware (Think taking a sedative and screen fades to black before your chosen ripper begins), but just going into the cyberware interface and coming out with mantis blades or gorilla arms seems very strange and breaks immersion.
We were just shown the proper way to change cyberware at the beginning of the game!

Fixers
Fixes are also a huge topic, so I'll reduce it to a few things: Fixers should have played a big role in your interaction with gangs, what jobs you have access to when and which cars you can buy. The way it works in version 1.06 is that all jobs get unlocked while you gradually level up your street cred (which goes quick without doing a whole lot of side stuff) and fixers only really greet you when you enter a new zone. If you visit them, I believe they all only ever have 3 blue lines of dialogue (if they aren't involved in a quest). For some reason V only seems to know Wakako. Besides her, Regina gets the Cyberpsychos and Rouge's obviously involved in the main plot. I think there's some gigs that require you to deliver stuff directly to a few of them.
Still screams of cut content.

I'd love to hear some suggestions, thoughts and opinions about vendors and in a broader sense: the game's item economy and loot system. How would you want vendors to work?
Cheers!

Last edited:
I agree, I think the shops and economy need to be rebuilt from the ground up. The systems in the game are terrible and suck the fun out of shopping in game.

Clothing shops and junk shops are the worst in my opinion. With Clothing you can't preview clothing items, and when in later game stages a single item of clothing costs more than a car does, you need to be able to preview it.

Then there is how the shops actually work. All shops select from the full list of clothing, with barely any difference between the Corpo shop in the city center and the second-hand stall on the edge of the city. Both sell you the same clothes.
The amount of clothes on offer is also ridiculously small. Then there is the fact that the shops have displays with items and prices on them that do not match what the shop sells or the price of those items

Each shop should only select from the style appropriate to the district they are in. Corp shop should only sell corpo wear, the shop on the edge of town should sell cowboy stuff and similar 'everyday' clothes.

What they have to select from needs to be expanded also. If say today the shop has short-shorts for sale, there should be 5+ variations of the short-shorts for purchase with similar stats and rarity.

Junk shops are basically useless. The description is also extremely misleading. Buy and sell almost anything? they only sell very specific netrunner stuff. They never have clothes, never have weapons, never have clothing/weapon mods. Its just cyber stuff. These shops should pull from the ENTIRE selection of stuff in the game so they actually feel like junk and buy/sell shops

I just wish overall it would be easier to know what is where. Theyhave the internet. If we have to go pick it up, fine, but put everything on an ingame site to find things.
And legendary recipes for cloths shouldn't be limited to a select few.

Top Bottom