The new Xbox

+
vivaxardas said:
I am buying xbox one, and a bit later ps4. "No backward compatibility" is such an old news, neither xbox 360 nor ps3 had them, and look, it was fine. A fee for used games? Why PC people bash consoles for this feature, when most of you guys buy your games on steam and GOG, where you can't resell any of you digital content at all??? It seems xbox one games are "digital version plus a backup copy on a disk". Not bad by my lights. Kinect in a package is a sign of the times, nothing wrong with it, just one more device to use if you want to.

This. I'll always be a PC gamer first but this is how people should think.

Well talking about the conference itself though, this is the only thing you need to see. in 2 minutes or less.

Volsung said:
What?? Microsoft is releasing a system that controls and limits what its users can do, controls how they do things, and on top of that people have to pay considerable amounts of money for it, while there are competitors with much better offers? Who would have believed it! People are going to love that! Seriously. I mean, people love and praise Windows, and it does the same things. So it must be good!

I've yet to meet the first person whoa ctually praises Windows.

I mean, I use Windows 7 myself, but I would never praise it. I use it because everything works on it and it's convenient. Not everything I need works on Apple's Mac OS X, and the same goes for Linux.

I'm pretty much FORCED to use Windows. Luckily, I'm not FORCED to get an Xbox One. That really makes me happy.

vivaxardas said:
Yes, it will rise and fall based on imbecile gamers bitching on forums that TW3 does not have this, or that, didn't meet some 14-year old punk's expectations, or too much text to read, or just a piece of crap, or "epic fail", or "poor man Skyrim", or other stuff like this. It seems like people are competing who throws more shit into anything, be that games or new hardware, and when shit starts flying, nobody will stay clean.

Hey, don't lump all Xbox players into a group of immature brats
I got introduced to the Witcher universe on Xbox and loved it. Not all console players are your stereotypical COD or Halo idiots who are crazy about 'headshots' or whatnot.

PC houses a lot of trash players too.

vivaxardas said:
A fee for used games? Why PC people bash consoles for this feature, when most of you guys buy your games on steam and GOG, where you can't resell any of you digital content at all???

Of course PC gaming is superior, but that's beside the point - and the big difference is, Steam, Amazon and Greenmangaming (not to mention Gamersgate and Gamefly at times) make it so PC gamers don't have to worry about used games because *PC games are so gloriously cheap.* When was the last time you saw a major console release hit 5 bucks only half a year after it came out? And yet, a steam key for Hitman Absolution was 5 dollars for a whole week on Amazon.

All in all, the 'Xbox One' vying to be the be-all end-all all-in-one device seems like a marketing strategy with a dark side. Remember how for *years* after release countless Xboxes would suffer from RROD? Now Microsoft is trying to peddle a device that will most likely have its own form of RROD - except this time, it'll kill off all the functionality it wants its users to rely on (dvd, internet, bluray, netflix, etc.), and magnify the level of customer dissatisfaction. Eggs in one basket...

AserPik said:
Hey, don't lump all Xbox players into a group of immature brats
I got introduced to the Witcher universe on Xbox and loved it. Not all console players are your stereotypical COD or Halo idiots who are crazy about 'headshots' or whatnot.

PC houses a lot of trash players too.

It wasn't my point. My point was about too many whining gamers in general, does not matter what platform.

Watching it I was kinda impressed, although they showed no games (of interest). My interest soured however after reading what the press wrote about the always online DRM which MS claims it isn't and the ability to resell games (even though I buy everything new). I'm also not a big fan of the built-in Kinect potentially Big Brothering me without me even knowing. So all in all I don't know whether I'm gonna be gaming as much as I do now by the end of the year with both console manufacturers and publishers with their Steam clones trying to shove crap down my throat.

Folks, if you would be so kind not to turn this into a platform war. And please don't lump players into imaginary groups to 'prove your point' lest we turn this into a competition of who has a worse player base - which also counts as flaming, so just don't. The Witcher community is better than this.

This whole situation brings smile on my face. Especially the cod dog.
There, have a gif.

Read this on Destructoid:

"Xbox One's Kinect knows your mood, can see in the dark"

and then..

"The Xbox One will NOT function without the Kinect"

..and I thought:

...That people willingly accept this kind of technology into their homes with NO understanding of the inner workings is outright crazy, the amount of trust we place in dominating corporations is way beyond what anybody should accept just for having entertainment posibilities.
I don't care how many times MS will say "if you shut it off, it won't be active", "no data is being stored" etc. etc. - very few corporations tends to speak truthfully when they want your money.

What a load of horse crap. That's it, I'm moving to PC. Might as well pick up TW2 from GoG at the same time.

I also have the feeling that all the Kinect stuff will only be used by first party devs since they don't have to worry about porting to other platforms and making every version relatively the same. Add to that, core gamers never cared for Kinect anyway. But then again, MS is moving away from the core gamer as well.

Dona said:
Folks, if you would be so kind not to turn this into a platform war.

There shouldn't even be a war at this point.

Between M$ diving headfirst into the concrete with Windows 8 (which they finally admitted) and now the new Xbox, both gaming platforms now have something in common.

/>

Combined with 10 years of lacklustre performance, I wonder how long Steve is going to stay around...

I"ll say something different. I love Microsoft, their products that I have work flawlessly, receive constant updates are have great customer support so I expect no less from XBOX1. I doubt I"ll be getting one cause I still need Exell, Word and so on but it still looks like cheap entertainment system which will attract customers

Besides is it even possible for Microsoft to be on the loosing side? So far they always win

Sirnaq said:
This whole situation brings smile on my face. Especially the cod dog.

I can anticipate how that will turn out:

Throughout the course of the game, the player will form a strong bond with his canine companion. In the very final act of the game, that companion will be killed. The player character will then proceed to kill the main antagonist, not for the good of the world or anything similar, but because he killed his best friend.

GOTY award right there.

Top Bottom