Update your NVIDIA drivers!

+
So with a driver update recommendation and now a rollback one...

Which driver are we 'meant' to use for now?

So with a driver update recommendation and now a rollback one...

Which driver are we 'meant' to use for now?
Drivers that are released with specific titles in mind will normally be focused on launch titles. Maybe for major updates, expansions, etc. But not normally.

The answer to your question is always going to be the same:

If you are not experiencing any issues with your games, update nothing. Just keep using the drivers you are presently using. If you do experience an issue with a game, and it seems to be a recurring graphical issue, then it may be a good idea to update to the latest driver version.

Updating drivers constantly, while common practice, is actually neither necessary nor a good idea, as every time you change something on your system, you run the risk (however small) of introducing a new issue.

Or, in the simplest of terms, if everything seems to be working alright, leave everything alone.

Updating drivers constantly, while common practice, is actually neither necessary nor a good idea, as every time you change something on your system, you run the risk (however small) of introducing a new issue.
Ditto. And, if someone wants to update at a schedule such as four-eight times a year, one expansion to this is to keep the installation files of the driver that works when upgrading, just in case the new ones don't work. I also always use DDU to wipe the current driver.

Tbh i allways update my drivers/bios/microcode and windows. Found that id rather risk a bad driver that i can revert then loose the few performance gains i can get with updating it. I might miss a nvidia driver here and there since its pretty game dependant but the rest i update and check pretty much every day. If you do it right theres should be a minimal chance of errors.

I also always use DDU to wipe the current driver.
Not a bad practice, and absolutely necessary if rolling back. A lot of graphical issues derive from newer versions of files being used in tandem with older, "rolled-back" files.

Tbh i allways update my drivers/bios/microcode and windows. Found that id rather risk a bad driver that i can revert then loose the few performance gains i can get with updating it. I might miss a nvidia driver here and there since its pretty game dependant but the rest i update and check pretty much every day. If you do it right theres should be a minimal chance of errors.
And it's largely intended to be that way so that the drivers cater to the most popular titles and rendering techniques at that time.

The trouble arises with the following:

1.) It's new code. With new code comes bugs. Period. Write something new...write 5 patches to fix it. That's just how coding works.

2.) Legacy functionality. Changing or tweaking rendering techniques is a knife that cuts both ways. If I increase efficiency and accuracy for present techniques, then I am automatically decreasing efficiency and accuracy for past techniques. I can't have both. Unless a developer stays totally current with their game, rewriting things to take advantage of the newer techniques, there will likely be minor hiccups and glitches with older titles. As time goes on, these things will become more and more pronounced. (Not for every title, but play enough games and you'll see the pattern over years and decades.)

3.) Hardware exclusivity. Kind of like the above, hardware and the support for such hardware gets phased out as time goes on. As I normally build my systems for longevity, I'll only "upgrade" once every 5 years or so. Sometimes, I feels it's not worth it, so I'll just start building a new system. Very often, I'll get much better performance in games with much older drivers.

4.) Gains are minimal. There are occasional drivers that deliver a big boost for some games. But most, by far, will deliver >5% performance increase at the most. And that's not counting the ones that will wind up decreasing performance in some games. A lot of the other boosts that people report will wind up being placebo. Nothing at all has changed, or the devs have done something to increase performance, not the drivers.

But, let me conclude by saying there's no "problem" with keeping drivers up to date. Everything will still work. And if you run into drivers that cause significant issues, the absolute maximum inconvenience is spending 10-15 minutes using DDU and CCleaner to roll back.

Top Bottom