[Value of Nilfgaard] review for old and new players

+
[Value of Nilfgaard] review for old and new players

Hey guys,
This will be rather long post, so I would like to start with tl-dr "content"section, so you can find what you need right away without being bothered reading.

Contents:
Section 1: Nilfgaard general impressions and faction identity.
Section 2: Semi-budget deck
Section 3:Card reviews and gameplay for the deck

Section 1: General impressions and faction identity:
Nilfgaard identity mainly lies in buffing your cards (easily countered by numerous scorch and control effects in game) and then keeping them in play with Combat Engineers for value. Drawing cards with the likes of Cynthia, Albrich, Emissaries and others. Which is the faction mechanic for deck thinning and generally does not bring you card advantage. And the faction is coming with 2 main lines of card synergies: Revealing cards and heavy spy count.
Nilfgaardian cards are very polarising. They have some very impressive gold cards, (aside from assassination, which not only has 2 asses in its name but also should be silver card) but most of their card pool in silver and bronze is not sufficient to compete with newly buffed MO and SK. After couple of games it is very noticable that developers were very focused on making synergies in Nilfgaardian 2 main lines of play: Spying and revealing and then splashed in some general "filling cards" that lack strenght. Let me explain in detail. There are (aside for exceptions that I will mention later) 2 card types in Nilfgaardian bronze and silver card pool: Heavily synergistic or lackluster.
Heavy synergy is bad for budget decks that we will try to build here and generaly not that strong for couple of reasons:
1) It does well mainly one thing so it is not very universal
2) It requires certain amount of cards to work, meaning you very often lose if you extend in one turn too much, leaving you with useless combo piece or two in your hand in 3rd turn.
(Unless the whole combo is busted or the cards are strong enough outside of combo - ehm ehm, last patch...)
This means in my opinion both revealing and spying decks are not the top of what Nilfgaard has to offer. Cards like Mangonels, Spotters, Alchemists as well as Impera brigade, Nauzicaa brigade, Ambassadors and Emissaries are the ones focused on synergy and require other cards to work well with. Also, I think that as both archetypes are extremely interesting BOTH lack strenght to be competitive.
Lackluster cards are those poor things that lack both synergy with some of the main themes as well as individual strenght, I am mentioning some of silver cards like: Assire van Anahid, Fringilla Vigo, or Sweers. From bronze pool it applies to the likes of Alba pikeman and spearmen, Daerlan foot soldiers, Fire scorpions or Nauzicaa standart bearer. Also aside from spying and revaeling which I think is not playable the rest of bronzes and silvers really lack synrgy which is eternal shame.

Conclusion:
I dont think the combo strenght of either spy or reveal deck can compete with other faction at the moment, but in the same sentence I must add that it is VERY early to the patch and later somebody more clever and handsome than me might discover something good and make it work, so mind it while reading this. This is mostly caused by quality of bronze and silver cards. I feel that most of the golden cards for both archetypes are fine. On the other hand Nilfgaard is offering some very interesting universal cards that I really adore: Rot tossers and Vicovaro medics for bronze slot. Silvers like: Joachym de Wett, Auckes and Peter Saar and golds like Cahir, Vilgeforz or Xarthisius.
So I think that the buffing part of Nilfgaard identity -as good as it might be- has so many drawbacks, that it should not be used to overbuff and you should not play very many buffing cards in Nilfgaardian decks.

Section 2: Semi-budget deck
Hey guys this is the first version of the deck. Since cards assassments and gameplay section was rather inaccurate since early meta post patch I recomand you to check later screenshotted versions in this thread. I am deleting this section (its long and outdated)

Last edited:
For those who are interested. As I climbed to higher ranking (3300) I started meeting more and more Radovid control which made me tweak the deck a bit to counter that. (Thx to Dunkoro for some helpfull pointers for this tweks)

Most problematic to handle is Bork or Yencon (which is almost autoinclude in most of the deck). It is 2 for 1 but using Dbomb with Cleaver, Vilgeforz or Alzurs deals with that.
Blizzard potion has proven to be worse than second First light. And I added one more Arbalest since I gave up on Lacerate or Manticore venom (could be swapped back for him)
Instead of drawing cards I have chosen to try getting card avdantage with Ocvist and use Johny to recycle Ciri and Ocvist after using them - granted Nilfgaardian faction ability does that too, but usualy for bronze card.
Also cut Scorch for the Dbomb I mentioned earlier. It is more universal option for this deck.
If you are interested in future development let me know. And granted if you decided to use the deck let me know how you modified it.

I was super excited by Nilfgard.. Bought 90% of emhyr s deck.. But..well..not very effective.. And if I have to buy OP OP cards like yennefer to make it works.. Not really good.. I feel that something is missing.. Donno what yet

d3vil_dant3;n7733790 said:
And if I have to buy OP OP cards like yennefer to make it works.. Not really good.. I feel that something is missing.. Donno what yet

I would not really say that. After experimenting for another whole day I think Nilfgaard has much more potential than I have previously thought. Thanks to players like swim, Atomic Pepper and clever guys from swims stream for discussing potential of many cards. Mind that every really high ranked competitive deck at the moment uses the best neutral cards to complement the strategy on their own cards. That is not a sign of weakness. Here you have my current deck (rating 3500) and if you have any questions about cards, dont hesitate to ask here :)

I would only add that I am quite ashamed that I wrote this whole guide with so few information to begin with... It is quite inaccurate and time will prove me wrong on some points I made. So take it as advice from my experience ;)

Last edited:
seems good..
i bought a lot of cards for emhyr.. but can t win a lot.. and to no ruin my rank, i m avoiding playing him in ranked :D

Are there any good replacements for Xarthisius?
Also, do you feel it's better to run Auckes instead of Cleaver? Since they have the same ability, but Auckes has +2 base strength.

BTW, thanks for sharing your deck and your thought process behind each card.:cheers:

InvisibleArrow;n7745340 said:
Are there any good replacements for Xarthisius?
Also, do you feel it's better to run Auckes instead of Cleaver? Since they have the same ability, but Auckes has +2 base strength.

The strenght of Xarthisius lies not only in chance to cut opponents deck to run only 3 gold or 5 silvers instead of a full count, but also knowing exactly what he draws next round. Its incredibly powerful. Budget replacement is Stefan Skellen or YenCon (good even after slight nerf). Also thinking about Gigni for the meta pick. Really up to you and decks you meet.

I also made another couple of changes so I take the oportunity to share them here.
Roach is very good for Vilgefortz burning and overall strenght boost for your gold cards as well as deck thinning so I replaced Dbomb, since targets for Dbomb can usualy be dealt with by Peter Saar or Cleaver/Auckes.
Auckes is better indeed but I dont own him yet, so here you go with that :D
I also sometimes run Myrgtabrakke instead of Cantarella or Ockvist, because he is so universal on his own and at the same time enables you to line targets for rot tossers. Ideal for dealing with Crones, pesky dwarves and the likes of those.

Thanks for the great intel, it's very helpful ! I'm new to the game and I've been playing only nilfgaard since I joined the beta, so sorry if there are mechanics I don't get. I just have one question, why use Gwynleve ? He just seems like a silver slot dimeritium shackle to me (without the demote), so I wondered what your reasoning was for including it. Isn't De Wett or Sweers more valuable depending on the match-up?

JoachimDeWett;n7757790 said:
why use Gwynleve ? He just seems like a silver slot dimeritium shackle to me (without the demote)

Actually very good question, since at the beginning I myslef didnt think much of him and only after playtesting I started to like him very much. The answer is: he is universal. You can not only use him as the debuffer , but you can target and "heal" your own units too and has decent 7 str body. My deck is aimed mostly at controlling the opponent rather than overpowering him in brute strenght, which I feel is the way of the current meta and the way for Nilfgaard to win. If you think you can overpower your opponent you can surely go with Joachim de Wett, but let me break down the current meta for you a bit and see why I think control is the way.

Meta breakdown (11.2. - might change on daily basis)
Monster weather
Monster devour
ST dwarfs
ST Morenn cheese
Punisher Radovid
Control Morvren
Rare chance of wounding Harald

Those are most dominant decks on ladder right now and if you take a look the sheer strenght oriented decks like Dwarves, Devour monsters and Harald just have so much str, that you cant compete with it as NG while the control match ups just kill your units when you care about them leaving you losing anyways. The way for NG to compete is playing reasonably strong units you dont reallycare about while controling your opponent. If you disagree or have any more questions feel free to ask me :)
I am now also experimenting with using Combat engineers with Nilfgaardian knights just for value in the deck, will update you with screenshots after testing here in the thread.

Here are promised current versions of the deck. If you guys need card rewievs or gameplay guide let me know and I will be glad to add it.

That's a pretty solid reason to include him indeed, and it's definetely a good way to not end up with dead cards like joachim in some games. The updated versions are really cool, but I have another question, is morvran's ability so good that you can justify a gold slot for cahir without having ceallach or the impera guys buffed by leader abilities ? He's insane turn 3 provided you have card advantage, so I guess this is the reason you run both ciri and ocvist? I'm quite a noob, in all of this.

You are asking good questions and I dont think they are noobish at all. Morvran has one of the best leader abilities as to direct game impact-wise. As I mentioned in the previous post Ceallach and Impera Enforcers were too much on a combo side and if/when opponent destroyed them it hurt you deck so much you lost most of the time. I think those are still viable and if you check earlier versions of the deck that were made in meta, that was not control heavy, you can see them there. Not a bad idea, definitely not a bad combo or cards but the current version of the deck is better for meta I am playing in - so if you are new, think for yourslef and build your deck according to opponent you meet. That is a great way for your own decbuilding to grow and once you will surely surpass me ;)

One more answer as to if Cahir is worth running alone: Yes it provides you with very strong finisher. And honestly speaking NG is not the strongest faction in the meta and this is the very best it can do (and I know of). If you want to win consistently without much effort and expensive cards I would recommand picking up Monsters.

I guess watching streams and vids for the past months does help me pretend I'm not a noob :D hehe I'm true to nilfgaard lol, I love their mechanics and style, I don't want to win easy, I want to make efforts and be smarter than my opponent to win. At the moment, the problem I face is getting card advantage against strong value decks such as eredin monsters consume. I guess I should pick ciri I got enough scraps for her, I have not seen any radovid so far lol. In any case, I thought sweers would be stronger and played more often, can you explain to me why he is lackluster ? Do you think he's too situational or the factions he might be good against have too much revive ?

First of, dont craft Ciri, you will get her for free once you reach level 18. Consume monsters are a hard match up for anybody except weather (and maybe some lucky dwarves) if you meet them too often I would try playing both Auckes and Cleaver, since they render their nekkers useless and can help with Vran warriors too.
Sweers I have tested and is very situational. His text reads more or less: Destroy one, if lucky two, bronze cards. Useless against Skellige. He is literally only good against nekkers and even then I think silencing them is comparable in effect since they usualy try not to keep multiples and Nekker warriors spawn copies at the bottom of the deck, so they are not accessable for them.
In the match up definitely run 3* Arbalest and Lacerate, since you wanna deny them Behemots and their spawns very hard. In my experience Shacles and Peter Saar should help you keep buffing at bay too. Focus on controling their board more than building your own. I guess you dont have Myrgtabrakke for pinging and destroying their Crones with Rot tosser, so if they Crone you, I think you can pass...
All in all you should be able to win some but it is not a good match up for Nilfgaard. Monsters have too many synergies within their bronze cards.

I run only Auckes for now, it's true that Cleaver would be a nice addition against consume, I use King of Beggars now to get my medic since I usually only run one , but I may replace him (and play two medics) or De Wett, I feel like both scorch and dimeritium bomb are too useful in too many situations. My last slot is Cynthia, but I need the card draw, and sometimes there is a beautiful rot-tosser interaction... I might work towards Cantarella which seems stronger since you can destroy it for free with a rotten cow.

This thread is super useful ! Thanks for the advice ! :)

Top Bottom